Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
More than likely the worst killing coyote bullet ever produced. If you going to do that.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
If you venture over to the Long Range Hunting forum, I've been on a quest to take my 223 Montana to 1000 yards. First step was finding a good load with a high BC bullet. These are my groups with the 70 VLD:

[Linked Image]

Starting in upper left hand corner and going clockwise, I was playing with seating depths following instructions from Berger for finding the best depth. Upper left is touching lands, upper right is .04 jump, lower left .08 jump, lower right .12 jumped. All loaded with Lapua brass, Fed primers and Varget.

As much as I love the little 223 Montana, its fair to say that none of these groups are spectacular. Upper right group has most promise as I think the flyer was on me. I wasn't letting barrel go fully cool between shots. It was a cold day and barrel didn't heat up fast. These groups are better than the 75 AMAX groups I tried before the 70 VLD.

So where do you go from here? In terms of tinkering with the Montana, I can confirm that:

- Mag box is floating, not binding
- Front action screw is not too long
- Front talley base screw is not too long

Of the other "Montana tinkering" suggestions here, the rifle has not been bedded, and still wears the factory crown. Would still like to complete my goal of taking this little rifle to 1000, but I feel like I need better 100 yard groups before I go long.

Suggestions? Get it bedded/re-crowned? Play with new load? Sell and buy Tikka?:) Have a Kimber Montana in 270, and even with the recoil, that puppy groups tighter than this. And that one is bedded, and re-crowned. Maybe that tells me all I need to know.

Looking forward to discussion.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 03/25/14.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
No coyotes. Just paper punching at 100 to find a load to take to 1000. Then some 62 TSX for deer in the fall...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OA, you won't be bedding just the lug, but the lug, the surface around the action screw behind the lug, and the first inch or so of the shank in front of the lug.

Send a PM to board member Karnis, he has a good description of the technique including photos.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks. I'll do some searching. Seem to have seen that picture thread somewhere. Will try and dig it up.

Of course, quite possible my 1:9 just isn't stabilizing I guess. It shoots gamekings/matchkings just fine. But these VLD and the AMAX - things really opened up.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's stabilizing the bullets fine, and those groups aren't bad. Keep experimenting, it will likely tighten up. But at the same time, you've got to be realistic about what you should expect out of the rifle. It's likely not going to be a 1/2" rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way Kimber chambers their 223, I'm not surprised it doesn't like a pencil ogive bullet. Shoot some 69 SMKs and see what it does first.

I've seen very few 1:9 223s that don't like 69 SMKs. Mostly my experience is in the AR platform, but they never suck in bolt guns either.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FWIW, my Kimber 223 AI shoots 75 grain Amaxs really, really well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are going to chuck the barrel anyway, you may want to give the Tubbs Final Finish system a try. For about $35 you get 5 different abrasive compounds on 10 bullets each. I had 2 rifles that were 2MOA and it brought them down to 3/4 and 5/8. In your situation I would only use the finest 2 compounds. If all else fails, it may be worth a try.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Shoot some 69 SMKs and see what it does first.

It shoots the 69 SMK's into nice little triangles. Not touching holes, not any one-hole groups, but good little 3/4 inch triangles. I have a box of 500 at home, but the BC on the VLD and AMAX was so much better. Plus the reports from people like Prarie_Goat that his shoots the 75 made me hopeful.

I don't think I was loading too slow, all loads were with 25+ grains of Varget. Good components and confident in my reloading ability makes me think the rifle itself needs some tinkering.

It's likely not going to be a 1/2" rifle.

I would normally agree, but I have a Montana in 270 that touches three 130 accubonds together. And that sucker punches me in the shoulder much more than the 223 kisses on recoil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Any tips on bedding just the lug?

Bedding newbie here...

Keep poking around for different threads, there's a pretty good one on bedding a Ruger (on the top of the page) in Custom Rifles.

It's not rocket science, but it's not as easy as one would think either. Best to practice on a few cheaper rifles first. You'll get a hand full of responses on what's the best bedding agent but I think acraglas is probably the easiest to use (my opinion).

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ng-adhesives/acraglas-gel--prod1038.aspx

If someone is near you from here on the fire and has experience, just ask around. If you were up around here I'd help you. No expert, but I'm getting pretty good.

ps: Was going to ad that I've got a Montana .223, but I haven't shot it yet frown Just moved, to f'ing cold out and to much snow all compiled with starting a new upper management job that's keeping me way to busy.

I've got mine bedded and ready to go though as soon as I have some free time and it warms up.

Last edited by cal74; 03/25/14.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
FWIW, my Kimber 223 AI shoots 75 grain Amaxs really, really well.

Glad it's working out...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.