Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
JTMcC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
A question for those with experience, the more the better.
Concerning a rifle for use in case of escaped big cats at expected ranges of 100 yards and less, in the U.S.
By an experienced shooter/hunter/handloader.

Any caliber preference between .375 H&H (or Ruger) and .458WM?

Based on my research (to date) I'm leaning pretty heavily right now toward .375 Ruger, 260 gr. Nosler Partition.
In a relatively short barrel rifle such as the Ruger Guide Gun but I'm watching the used market for .375 H&H, .416 and .458WM.
Weight is no concern to me but short/handy is.

The rifle will see quite a bit of practice and range time.

Basically I'm adding a rifle, in a caliber I don't have and want it to be close to ideal for main purpose mentioned, all else would be of secondary importance.

John

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 375Ruger (or H&H) is an EXCELLENT choice for the big cats. That 375 caliber accounts for more lions than probably all the rest combined. Your choice of the Guide Gun or to my mind even better, the Alaskan Model is an excellent one. Short, fast handling barrel, stainless, controlled round feeding and a 3 position safety pretty much defines a close quarters big game rifle. I have the 375 and 416 Alaskans and while the 416 was my first choice for buff and ele, my 375 would be the "go to" if I lived next to some sort of big cat sanctuary. You also need to give serious consideration to your sight selection with great consideration given to close range and low light conditions. I would look very hard at scopes that will give a true 1x for close range both eyes open shooting and that have an illuminated center dot for FAST low light shooting. After taking my first cape buff in low light with standard crosshairs I quickly switched to a Trijicon 1-4 with the post and green triangle. It has both fiber optic coils and tritium in the center. That coupled with crystal clear glass makes for an outstanding dangerous game sight for all circumstances. Good luck and hopefully you will never need it!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
since the cats are the only dangerous game truly susceptible to shock ild go with the faster 375 over the slower but heavier 458....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JTMcC
Concerning a rifle for use in case of escaped big cats at expected ranges of 100 yards and less, in the U.S.

Where and why would you be anticipating big cat "escapes" in the USA? African lions?? [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually been a couple of incidents in the last few years......that one guy turned loose a bunch of tigers and such before committing suicide.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

J
JTMcC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by JTMcC

Where and why would you be anticipating big cat "escapes" in the USA? African lions?? [Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure I never used the word "anticipate".

J

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"in case" then. Semantics aside, honest question on my part. Care to elaborate?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like as good of an excuse as any for buying a DG rifle.

They still use .303 British for tiger in India, just saying.

Last edited by justin10mm; 03/26/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I once lived near a women that had a "pet" tiger. She was an eccentric women that lived on a small plot off land that was largely wooded. She was nice and the tiger appeared nice, she introduced me to it once.

What I didn't ever tell her was that I had my 375 loaded with 5 300 grain trophy bonded bear claws. I regret selling that gun.

That said the question I would ask would be what kind of shooting would you be doing in a honest scenario like that. It would likely be defensive or chasing a wounded (by a handgun most likely) game animal. So maybe a bolt action 375 wouldn't really be best? Perhaps then a ten gauge would be better, especially for a smaller large cat.

As far as anticipating escapes that would depend on your area, I don't anticipate any trouble from large dangerous game animals, however defense from pit-bulls and meth zombies is more likely.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. It holds eight in the magazine and one up the pipe. Load it with a 480 to 500 grain flatnosed cast bullet at 1250 to 1400 fps, and you are in business in a big way. It will shoot through and through any cat on the planet from any angle and solve the problem.

Going after a big cat, I would prefer my Cowboy Marlin 45-70 over my 375 H&H bolt gun, hands down. Works for pit bulls and meth zombies too.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 03/27/14.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Full disclosure, I have never taken a big cat but plenty of my friends have and I have spoken with and read accounts of numerous Professional Hunters. The conventional wisdom is cats are very sensitive to high velocity calibers (and properly constructed bullets to match). There is also a big difference between a leopard and a lion. For me, speed kills baby so a 300 for leopard and a 375 for lion as fast as I can push them would be my recommendation.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For the OP's purpose, I once heard that was why a guy wanted a .480 Ruger in a revolver for "next time".

Last edited by agazain; 03/27/14.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This will DRT any cat that has or will walk this earth.

50 B&M Super Short with a Cutting Edge Bullet 350 gr. at 2345 fps. three in the magazine plus one in the tube.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It started out as a Winchester 25 WSSM CRF, I take 325 WSM brass cut to 1.65" 51 gr. of Lil'Gun.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 03/27/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wifes uncle killed a leapord with a .410 shotgun many years ago that had escaped the Jackson Ms zoo and had been wounded by the night watchman. They tried several times to catch it with a net but had to "put it down".
Probably not the best choice but at point blank, .410 and birdshot worked..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler
actually been a couple of incidents in the last few years......that one guy turned loose a bunch of tigers and such before committing suicide.....

Terry Thompson of Zanesville, Ohio. GUNS magazine did an excellent after action report.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the surface, it just seemed to be a strange question. That's why I'm asking for additional clarification. For all I know, the guy could be living near one of those big cat rescue type centers. Or next to the zoo.... or perhaps the circus comes to town quit often? [Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
410? Damn!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
410? Damn!!

yep, borrowed one from somebody that lived next to the zoo. Used some size birdshot.. Wish I couldd dig up that article with the pics..

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Classic choice is a 405 Winchester 1895. Teddy Roosevelt and Kenneth Anderson can't be wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
On the surface, it just seemed to be a strange question. That's why I'm asking for additional clarification. For all I know, the guy could be living near one of those big cat rescue type centers. Or next to the zoo.... or perhaps the circus comes to town quit often? [Linked Image]

thinkit was our swedeish member that said an elephant got loose in his AO and given he figured he had the only "elephant gun" in the area went and offered his help to his local law enforcement and was terribly disappointed when they turned him down laugh

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.