Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Lately I have been seeing a lot of UTVs being hauled back and forth during hunting season and what not. What advantage do the UTVs have over a pick-up/suv, Jeep in areas where they cannot legally be driven off roads any farther than a pick-up?

In the mtns I can partially understand it as some of those roads get small. An extra cab pick-up gets hard to maneuver. I had a 76 Toyota Land Cruiser that was great for those situations, but I drove it there from home.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fun factor, agility & lighter weight is what I hear from coworkers that have and use them. Trying to decide if one needs to follow me home......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Basically, they can go where you can't get a jeep or a pickup. Narrow trails etc, l also have a quad but the Rhino is a lot easier on my old body at the end of the day. Just a short note but a Suzuki Samuri is about as good a 4 wheeler that you can get. A friend of mine who guides a lot swears by them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you tow your utv to the hunting grounds and it breaks down for some reason, you can still get home using your truck, you can't if you ride the Rhino to your hunting grounds.

I used a Rhino 450 last year on a moose hunt and that thing got me to all the spots I could get too on my Foreman. I was so impressed with the Rhino that we picked up a used 09 700efi. Will be using it a lot this summer and on my moose hunt in Sept.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was in Alaska in '11 we used a Maxx with tracks and ATVs. The Maxx kept getting flats and breaking down, but when running right it was amazing where it would go. The same with the borrowed ATVs.

here in MT a person has to stay on roads on BLM and forest service land with a vehicle and there are fewer and fewer mtn trails that allow ATV us and they have to be under 50". So under those conditions what advantage does a UTV give you?

The reason I ask is we have been thinking about getting one for use around our own place, but with there cost I am hoping to find a reason to use it for other purposes like hunting. That is if there is an advantage.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There are very few place where we hunt where you can take any kind of off road vehicle. It's often illegal but more commonly its because of the terrain, rocks, etc. I have an atv that I haven't used in a number of years. I went to llamas for packing out the meat. They're more trouble than an atv but they can get to where the meat is. If the elk got there, the llamas can get there, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
When I was in Alaska in '11 we used a Maxx with tracks and ATVs. The Maxx kept getting flats and breaking down, but when running right it was amazing where it would go. The same with the borrowed ATVs.

here in MT a person has to stay on roads on BLM and forest service land with a vehicle and there are fewer and fewer mtn trails that allow ATV us and they have to be under 50". So under those conditions what advantage does a UTV give you?

The reason I ask is we have been thinking about getting one for use around our own place, but with there cost I am hoping to find a reason to use it for other purposes like hunting. That is if there is an advantage.

I don't know of any sxs that is under 50" so you're probably limited to using atvs .

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyote268
Just a short note but a Suzuki Samuri is about as good a 4 wheeler that you can get. A friend of mine who guides a lot swears by them.

Those Samuri's are great vehicles, but they are old now and most need serious spanner turning to keep them running. I have its replacement, the Jimny and they are another excellent vehicle, just a little more refined than the Samy..

A few months ago, I also bought the British version of the Isuzu Amigo, which while being bigger than the Jimny is still small by American 4x4 standards. While I enjoy the extra space and the desiel engine, it is no where near as agile as the little Jimny off road..Given that the Jimny has 140K trouble free miles on the clock, the Amigo will also have to go a long way to beat its reliability also..

Last edited by Pete E; 03/28/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have an '87 Bronco II. With a locker on either axle, it could be a serious off roader. Mine has the 3.43 axle ratio, though. The other option they made, the 3.73, would be far better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Mule 610 is 52". If you don't care to scratch the fender flares, it will fit 50".

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll have one this year for use on the ranch, if for no other reason that it saves wear and tear on the pickup. And, there is that fun factor thing...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took my 2007 Ranger 700 a hell of a lot of places that I wouldn't take my pickup, using less gas and riding in a lot more comfort. Let the wife talk me into selling it to her ex-in-laws who really needed one for their ranch and couldn't afford a new one. Regretted it ever since, and have been plotting to get a new one.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
The Ranger was more comfortable than your pick-up?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Size.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
The Ranger was more comfortable than your pick-up?
Rides a heck of a lot better climbing over rocks and is way better on washboard.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
OK. Thanks

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.