Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Recently decided to follow the American principle of freedom of speech, so quit "ignoring" the 7-8 people that had been on my list for a while. It was a mistake, since their free speeches turned out to be, as always, what Shakespeare wrote in Macbeth: "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Back to the ignore button!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I get older, I like the ignore button more and more.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kitch,

If you're still reading, check out the 6mm BR. Very efficient and will handle multiple, long shot strings without worry. Barrel should last 3-4 thousand rounds, or more.

If you just want a 257 Weatherby, go for it. It's a fun round and a real terror in the field, but like others have mentioned, it's not a round you want shoot multiple shots with from the bench. Also, to get the most out of it, go with heavier bullets. Preferably the 115 BST or Berger VLD. Lots of people swear by the 100 TTSX, but as Boxer illustrated, it's a ping pong ball and limits the bad azzness of the round. The 115 BST/VLD really let's you get the most out of the 257.

As for Weatherby Mark V rifles, I've always had great luck with mine. Accurate(MOA or better)right out of the box. Quality and reliability have been excellent as well, but then again I don't subject them to the extreme conditions as some here do. YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The real secret to long barrel life is to have lots of rifles.

...and proper break-in

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few years ago there was a gunsmith in Idaho who claimed that any barrel would be ruined if not broken in "correctly" from the start. Of course, he knew the correct procedure, and charged a "reasonable" fee to do the job--if, of course, you paid shipping both ways, plus the cost of ammo.

Like Bob, I like having to replace only a few barrels a year because of having not-so-few rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...the key, as one of our more astute contributors stated, was being able to identify " harmonic oscillations " ...... grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I still like my 30-378 accumark..,its one of those UBER magnums..I think.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As Do Nothing Day Dreaming Dumbfhukkery goes...I'd have to rate Imaginary Pretend Ignore,right at the top of the [bleep] list...in regards to sheer hilarity.

Right proper Dichotomy,that THE dumbest of the dumbfhukks,is always the first to poke their heads in the sand. Then the poor poor Stupid [bleep] wonder aloud,as to why they are soooooooo [bleep] Stupid.

It's just oh sooooooooo good...then couple it with a lengthy reasons of why not to shoot!

[bleep] AWESOME!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kitch: I have three 257 Weatherbys and the 2K round count sounds about right. Mine went about 2400 before barrel replacement and I was meticulous about three shot groups then cooling. Without question, at least in my experience, the most lethal killer of deer I've ever experienced. I can tell you that not one deer has ever taken a step when shot with either the 100gr Hornady or the TTSX at ranges from 25 to over 350. It's a great cartridge, but you must be judicious with barrel care. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you're still reading, check out the 6mm BR. Very efficient and will handle multiple, long shot strings without worry. Barrel should last 3-4 thousand rounds, or more.

I have looked at a Savage 12 LRPV in that caliber. I'm not sure I like the stock-prefer wood really but, I won't discount it. I suppose other than the 6PPC it's right up there in accuracy and with the larger barrel not the heat up problems.

Make no mistake, the 257 Weatherby is a fine cartridge and about the only one I'd pick. Factory ammo is most expensive, I've found out.

Last edited by Kitch; 04/04/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Still waiting on my deal to materialize, but none of the real discussion has made me want one any less...

Factory loads are not cheap, and the empty brass seems to go pretty fast in the Classified section.

Darn it, still want one!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Kitch

I have looked at a Savage 12 LRPV in that caliber. I'm not sure I like the stock-prefer wood really but, I won't discount it. I suppose other than the 6PPC it's right up there in accuracy and with the larger barrel not the heat up problems.

Make no mistake, the 257 Weatherby is a fine cartridge and about the only one I'd pick. Factory ammo is most expensive, I've found out.

Kitch,

You may be aware already, but Weatherby offers a budget minded box of ammo for around $40.00 a box,which is less than or equal to a box of Virgin Brass. It utilizes Weatherby brass and a 100 gr Norma Spitzer bullet. Shoot it up at the range and then use the empties for reloads. Getting about 7-8 firings per casing, a box of reloads costs me appx $20.00.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The first place I looked at for ammo was Midway and Bud's. Both had the 115 gr Nosler BT for around $75-80. I nearly dropped my teeth. That's for 20 rounds. Nosler's are good, use them in the .270 Winchester but, they're not that good.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shooters pro shop has blems with 110 accubonds for 41$ I think

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've read a lot of high accolades about Weatherby's Vanguard S2, I think they call it. I saw a Deluxe model in 270 Winchester(favorite caliber) and the price was most inviting at $875. The two stage trigger for me might take a little getting use to, however but; they seem to be pretty accurate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any rifle I live long enough to shoot the barrel out of will bring a massive grin... how are you gonna lose?

It's like the time I was drift fishing [light tackle] in the Chesapeake bay with some pals. Hooked onto a 25 pound stingray --- there were acres and acres of them around --- and did he make my drag sing! After about 100 yards of line my buddy reached over to tighten my drag. "Un-uh", I said, "leave it". "He'll take all you got or burn the reel!" he said. "Then she's had a good life, leave it alone!" says I.

I had never had a fish run me dry before, and the prospect was wonderful...

Eventually boated the stingray, and it was fun ... still fish with the reel today.

Shoot the rifle and feel lucky.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Kitch
The first place I looked at for ammo was Midway and Bud's. Both had the 115 gr Nosler BT for around $75-80. I nearly dropped my teeth. That's for 20 rounds. Nosler's are good, use them in the .270 Winchester but, they're not that good.

Kitch,

Here you go, "in stock" at Midway for $37.99...

257 Weatherby Mag 100 gr Spitzer

I've utilized them in my 257 and they average just under an inch. They've also been a little faster velocity wise than Weatherby advertises.

The Vanguard's are great guns and a terrific value for the money. Also very accurate. It would be a good way to slip into a 257 for minimal $$.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just worked a load up with my 257 fibermark.

110 Accubond at 3530 FPS.
215M caps
69 gr RL22
under 1/2" at 100 yards.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here you go, "in stock" at Midway for $37.99...

That's one good way to stock up on good brass as well. I also noticed they have Nosler ammo with the 110 gr AccuBond...a bit higher but a great bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...ubond-spitzer-box-of-20?cm_vc=OBv1880779

Apparently RL22 and RL25 is the powder to use with this caliber. Right now, my mind's in a caliber war between the 257 and my ol' standby 270. don't you just h ate decisions? smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any powder with a burn-rate from the 4350's to Ramshot Magnum is worth a try, whether H4831, RL-22, RL-25, H1000 or 7828. I've had my best luck with 100-grain bullets using Magnum in two .257 Weatherby's.

The reason Magnum doesn't appear as much as other powders when questions like this come up is because most handloaders stick to powders with easily available load data. Then they try a couple and stick to the one that works best in their rifle. But Ramshot will provide some guidelines if you ask them.

Even old IMR4350 often works well, as it should, since it's what Roy Weatherby used to develop the cartridge, since at the time it was the slowest burning powder available. As a matter of fact various Nosler manuals have listed as the most accurate powder with some bullets. Their newest #7 manual lists as among the fastest with 100-grain bullets, and as the most accurate with 110 AccuBonds.

If you hunt in widely varying temperatures you might also consider one of the more temp-resistant powders on the list.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 50 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.