Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you think? Do these rifles have a short barrel life due to their higher velocity? I would think so. I've read barrel life in the 257 would be something on the order of 2K rounds. It would be shot out in 2-3 years if I shot it like the rest of the rifles I had at that rate. I really had thought about a Mark V in 257 Weatherby but got to thinking about how hot that baby would get this summer shooting four five shot strings from the bench. It would be an excellent and probably accurate caliber but using logic instead of eye lust I don't know if I'll follow through with the one I'm looking at.

Last edited by Kitch; 03/28/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine has a Vanguard in 257 magnum. Given how hot the barrel gets from a three shot string (summer shooting), I wouldn't select that cartridge for a high round count pursuit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just don't shoot it so much - just use it to kill stuff.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Yep, that's what they are good at.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My 257 has ~400 rounds through it and this post year I had to use jb bore paste in it to resurrect it.... azshooter here said it was badly fouled (probably me not cleaning properly) bit also said the cracks were quite extensive.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Weatherby MkV Fibermark, .257 Wby, has been in my possession since around 1984. Other than load development and sighting in, it gets used for hunting only.
If I really want to burn rounds thru a rifle, my .223 M4 gets the nod.

At the rate of a few rounds per year, the Wby. will outlast my great-grandkids!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Barrels are made to be shot out, and cutting down on shooting to keep a barrel around is just silly.

If a guy wants to run a barrel burner, he just has to live with the consequences. If having to rebarrel every couple years is not agreeable, buy a 308 and be merry.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you have a need for the capabilities of the .257 Weatherby, why not shoot it?

I agree with PG, shoot until it's time to replace, and enjoy the caliber. Protecting the barrel is done by proper care, not by sitting in the closet. You don't park a truck to save on oil changes...

I'm in the same .257 lust, and waiting on the deal to be made.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Had several .257 Wea. on 700's.. I made them for long range coyote shooting.. It is a great caliber in the .25's. Mine did show wear after 1200's, but it still shot great.. At times I think I should barrel up another, but haven't done it yet.. I agree with Prairie Goat, buy it shoot it.. If it isn't your cup of tea, then you will have a good action for a rebarrel job..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Barrels are made to be shot out, and cutting down on shooting to keep a barrel around is just silly.

If a guy wants to run a barrel burner, he just has to live with the consequences. If having to rebarrel every couple years is not agreeable, buy a 308 and be merry.

I've been shooting a lot lately. With a 257 Wby. I'd probably be rebarreling every three months or so. That's why I'm merry with my 308 stable.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
If you are fortunate enough to shoot enough to wear a barrel out, you have been fortunate enough to shoot enough to wear a barrel out.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My MkV is a 30-06.

I know its milquetoast, but it kills stuff and I can shoot it a bunch.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman

I've been shooting a lot lately. With a 257 Wby. I'd probably be rebarreling every three months or so. That's why I'm merry with my 308 stable.

Oh yes. Shooting as much as you are, a round like the 308 is almost a requirement. Not only from a barrel life standpoint, but from a purely economical one as well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I should shoot my 223 a lot more, but for some reason I just don't find it as satisfying as a 308. The component costs for the 223 are certainly a lot less.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Firstly,boolits matter farrrrrrr more than headstamps. Secondly,"Logic" would NEVER lead one to a 9-lugged MK V...if only for starters. If you just gotta do a [bleep] Weatherby,go VG and thank me later. Hint.

Now if only for conversation and because I may have yerked a 257Wby trigger or two and mebbe even shot out a barrel or 5 in the chambering.(grin) The 257Wby in the Pre-LRF Ping Pong Ball BC Days was a rather nice way to fly. Why?!? Simply because it hauled major ass and if you GOTTA fling Ping Pong Balls(because that is all there is),then you need to hedge a bet by putting some sizzle on 'em. It was a far better chambering 20yrs ago,when boolits was closer to "equal" and handy/dandy LRF's didn't exist.

Fast forward to Today. No other diameter is as maligned boolit wise,as the Quarter Bores. Like it,lump it,bitch,moan,whine or complain...dat's a sad fact.

For conversation a 257Wby launching a 100 TTSX at 3750fps and wearing a 250 zero,drops 2.4MOA at 400 with 2.8MOA of 10mph full value wind.

600yds -6.8MOA ele,4.6MOA wind,2100fps of retained velocity and 981 pounds of "energy".

800yds is -12.8MOA ele,6.8 wind,1676fps and 623#.

1000yds is -21.3MOA ele,9.6MOA wind,1326fps and 309#.

1200yds is -33.2MOA ele,12.8MOA wind,1089fps and 263#.

Now if only to look at schit differently and in a more forgiving manner,replete with inherent mechanical advantage(s).

A lowly Rem 700 243Win will scoot a Hornie 105 HPBT to 3000fps. Hint. Wearin' a 250 zero,drops 3.4MOA at 400 with 2.3MOA of full value wind. (Note: it has the wind drift advantage inside the 100yd line and retains it to as far as you care to hurt the 257Wby's feelin's.)

600yds -9.1MOA ele,3.8MOA wind,2009fps(it's cut the 750fps velocity advantage to 90fps) and 941 pounds of "energy"(40# less than the 257Wby).

800yds is -16MOA ele,5.4MOA wind,1728fps and 700#(50fps advantage and 75#+ over the Weatherby...which will get uglier).

1000yds is -24.7MOA ele,7.3MOA wind,1479fps and 510#.

1200yds is -35.5MOA ele,9.4MOA wind,1271fps and 376#.

Just sayin'.

Hint.(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always owned a Wby since I first started shooting. Never wore out a barrel, ever.

I currently have every caliber made by then with the exception of the 338-378 bee --- never liked it much.

Get one and enjoy the heck out of it!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think of the .257wby strictly as a hunting rifle, not a dual purpose hunt/target rig. Get it shooting right, figure out the dope for your load, and then only bench-shoot it if you are confirming your zero or checking accuracy every now and again. Done that way, it should last a person a long time. As others just said, there are better chamberings out there for those that want a lot of trigger time. The 223 and 308 are always good routes.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JPro
I think of the .257wby strictly as a hunting rifle

Yes, and a fine one it is.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had the good pleasure of meeting Roy Weatherby at the 1974 NRA Convention in Atlanta and lusted over his rifle display but Weatherby rifles back then were expensive as was the ammo. The ammo still is. I don't recall the Vanguard back then but do the Mark V.

I have other rifles I shoot 2-3 times a month to include mostly a M70 270 and Sako .222. I can't say how much, after load development, I'd shoot the .257 but I'd say at least 20 rounds a month if not more. The 270 has a Featherweight barrel and even with it's modest velocity with a 130 gr bullet, in comparison to the .257, the barrel gets hot after five shot group. I can imagine how hot the Weatherby barrel would get. Although both are hunting rifles still you want to develop loads for them and don't want to wait fifteen minutes between five shot strings, especially when it's 45 degrees outside.

Having read some of the comments I've nearly talked myself out of this rifle. I'm primarily a paper puncher with hunting days mostly gone. You get older, retire, have money to spend and harken to the days of rifles and pistols you wanted in your 20's and 30's but didn't have the coins for a Python or Weatherby back then bu,t now you do. I think this is where I am, looking at Weatherby rifles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My first .257 Bee lasted 12 years with just over 1000 rounds through it.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Kitch, Buy, shoot, and enjoy!! There are few calibers I wanted that I at least haven't give a try in one rifle or more.. A very satisfactory feeling..

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kitch - I'm not clear from your posts if you were primarily interested in Weatherby rifles or just a Wby rifle chambered in .257. It's not like that's the only choice available, especially if you primarily punch holes in paper. Weatherby loonies like Weatherby rifles, be they in standard or Wby Mag chamberings. I recently tested one of the new VG Series 2 Back Country rifles in 30-06 and fell in love with it. I needed another 30-06 like I needed a hole in the head, but I bought this one anyway. It shoots tiny little groups, looks great, is lightweight and -- wonder of wonders -- Weatherby finally listened and started putting decent triggers on the Vanguards. You could do far worse, regardless of chambering.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

+1

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I reckon it's easy for me to say,if only because I got 'em all.

There's NO [bleep] way I'd go L/A less a real GOOD series of reasons,especially wearin' a belt. .257" boolits sure as schit ain't it,nor close. A 22" 243AI will slap it [bleep] silly,in all regards.

Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bingo! Every game has its price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
I reckon it's easy for me to say,if only because I got 'em all.

There's NO [bleep] way I'd go L/A less a real GOOD series of reasons,especially wearin' a belt. .257" boolits sure as schit ain't it,nor close. A 22" 243AI will slap it [bleep] silly,in all regards.

Hint.

I know you much prefer .243's to .25 cal. offerings but how do you feel about 6.5's? They seem to have the best of all worlds in regards to recoil, BC, and long range performance, no? I'm specifically wondering about the Creedmoor. A buddy has one and he claims it's the end all be all.

Last edited by moosemike; 03/28/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talking strictly RIFLES - there's nothing in the WBY lineup that would make me chose it over another.

Talking CARTRIDGES - the 257 might interest me but it wouldn't be near the top of my list for a long while (lots of others first).

Me

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Kitch - I'm not clear from your posts if you were primarily interested in Weatherby rifles or just a Wby rifle chambered in .257

Mostly it was because of the .257. I don't need/want anything larger like the .300. We all have rifles in whose calibers weren't intended for mostly bench shooting. I have those calibers like the .270 Winchester and 45-70 but, they're still fun to shoot. We're going to be at the range a lot more than in the fields so,if I want to spend a few hours at the range banging paper targets I take the Sako .222 but, more often than not the .270 gets a ride along as well, either the modern one or the pre-64 version.

I guess I wasn't thinking when considering the .257 Weatherby knowing how I like to shoot 20-40 rounds at the range with most any caliber I bring. I'd say it would get rather hot with 20 rounds in about 30-45 minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still see the 257wby as a niche rifle, not much of an all-rounder. It's good for quick shots at hastily-estimated ranges inside of 500yds, as that's really the only advantage to the lazerbeam trajectory with .400-420BC 100-grain game bullets at 3,650fps+. In almost any other scenario, there are more sensible options that likely require less powder and less barrel length.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AH64guy
If you have a need for the capabilities of the .257 Weatherby, why not shoot it?

I agree with PG, shoot until it's time to replace, and enjoy the caliber. Protecting the barrel is done by proper care, not by sitting in the closet. You don't park a truck to save on oil changes...

I'm in the same .257 lust, and waiting on the deal to be made.

............+1.......To the OP! If you want a 257 Bee, then get one and don`t worry about any potential lack of round count down the barrel. Speedsters like the 257 Bee and other speedy cartridges do have certain drawbacks with barrel life being one of them. Just buy one, enjoy it, and let the barrel life chips fall where they may.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Magnum reach without the typical magnum recoil. Nice to be able to stay in the scope as the target drops out of it. The Death Ray comes with a barrel life price, which I'm fine with. My Mark V ultralite is my all time favorite rifle.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

+1

Some of even like to shoot -- gasp! -- 120 gr. Partitions!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kitch
Kitch - I'm not clear from your posts if you were primarily interested in Weatherby rifles or just a Wby rifle chambered in .257

Mostly it was because of the .257. I don't need/want anything larger like the .300. We all have rifles in whose calibers weren't intended for mostly bench shooting. I have those calibers like the .270 Winchester and 45-70 but, they're still fun to shoot. We're going to be at the range a lot more than in the fields so,if I want to spend a few hours at the range banging paper targets I take the Sako .222 but, more often than not the .270 gets a ride along as well, either the modern one or the pre-64 version.

I guess I wasn't thinking when considering the .257 Weatherby knowing how I like to shoot 20-40 rounds at the range with most any caliber I bring. I'd say it would get rather hot with 20 rounds in about 30-45 minutes.

This screams for something easier to get along with.

With accuracy on paper targets being the primary goal, a heavier rifle chambered for 6 PPC or something along those lines seems on order.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The real secret to long barrel life is to have lots of rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slidellkid - good advice you've given out. I treat my 257 Bee like a vintage wine, to be enjoyed and not guzzled. Want high round count then get a beater something or other. Otherwise, use your "hot rod" wisely. Homesteader.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,have two gun safes full.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not a big fan of wby rifles but love the cartridges ..speed comes at a price. Don't over heat it and it will last longer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I haven't read the entire thread, in particular comments from a few on ignore, but will say I have had really good luck with Mark Vs in general and really like the .257 in particular. The .257 Weatherby is point and click out to 400, which covers my hunting. My most regretted rifle sales have been Weatherbys, which is why I am again in the market for a .257 Mark V. All have been accurate, too. Also, No need to shoot a .257 WM too much if you have lower intensity rifles also.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They make barrels everyday. Weatherby's are turds IMO. YMMV.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One of my favorite "turds" ,

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
One of my favorite "turds" ,

[Linked Image]

Nice turd grin grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
257 definitely has the cool factor. Point click and DRT with low recoil , what is not to like?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely a 257 Bee!

As for the Montanas I had 3 of them and the all sucked -- accuracy wise. Even after I sent them back for re-evaluation. I can accept that some tinkering is needed from a $500 rifle but not a $1k plus rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Given what you "know"...the rifles should have stayed and you shoulda been shipped off,so as to hopefully attain your first [bleep] clue.

Not that you doing your best,ain't funnier than [bleep]. You and SquatToPee,couldn't get water out of a tap,when working in tandem on sucha "big" "project". Congratulations?

Laffin'!

Stupid [bleep],reliably do stupid schit,as oh soooooooo eloquently attest,obliviously.

Bless your heart.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want a .25 caliber rifle you can shoot a lot, why not get a .257 Roberts, or the best of both worlds in a quarter-bore, a .25-06, the .257 Weatherby isn't all that much faster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
Given what you "know"...the rifles should have stayed and you shoulda been shipped off,so as to hopefully attain your first [bleep] clue.

Not that you doing your best,ain't funnier than [bleep]. You and SquatToPee,couldn't get water out of a tap,when working in tandem on sucha "big" "project". Congratulations?

Laffin'!

Stupid [bleep],reliably do stupid schit,as oh soooooooo eloquently attest,obliviously.

Bless your heart.

Who the hell do you think you are talking to me this way? Have I ever insulted you or given you the right to address me in such a manner? In a polite society one states their opinions in a nice, gentlemanly manner without offending other persons. If you can not, please keep it inside you and move on.

You sir are a walking advertisement of what happens to forums without proper moderation.

This is why you only lasted less than 5 posts on the Nosler forum. I gladly chopped you then.

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fotis,

You Whining Clueless Kchunt...I'm rather at ease in stating facts. Please find me "mistaken" and I will happily take the time requisite,to rub your nose in your Stupidity. Sweetheart,nobody can offend you better than you can,by your simply doing your "best". The depths of your sheer and utter [bleep] cluelessness,border on the incredible. Congratulations?!?

Jeezus [bleep] no schit,now you need a Moderator to keep you from saying something [bleep] Stupid and talking out your ass?!?

You Whining Kchunts are a [bleep] riot! Please consider shooting SquatToPee a PM,so you inept Dumbfhukks can align your "powers" and really ring the bell.

The only thing you shoot is your mouth and Imagination,though in no particular order.

Laffin'!

Looking forward to your next Whine and more Excuses.

Wow +P+!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bravo! Spoken like a true gentleman , not that I expected anything different from you. What can I say? Your loved ones must be proud.

I am done with you and your misplaced anger. Get some therapy, you need it!

μολὼν λαβέ

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am unwilling to read all comments, but based on Fotis' responses, which I have read, it's amazing how quickly one individual can easily ruin a thread or forum on here.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 04/02/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Signing out of this thread before doctored pictures to prove credibility begin.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kchuntis,

You poor poor AMAZINGLY stupid dumbfhukk...perhaps consider filling out a Hurt Feelers Report?!? Laffin'!

Fascinating "perception",that your Imagination and Pretend are strong enough,to grant you the Delusion(s) that you were "in" anything,save in wellllllllllllll over your pointy [bleep] head.

Jeezus [bleep] who chews your food for you,dresses you and picks out your TV channel?!? Laffin'!

I enjoy the notion that you "think" your utterly amazing Clueless Dumbfhukkery,makes someone "angry"! You poor poor Stupid [bleep],here's to your being devoid the 17 IQ points requisite,to garner an inkling as to how hilarious your Dumbfhukktitude is. Wow +P+!

What might you Whine about next?!? I'm lookin' forward to those Excuses too and more fascinating "particulars" of your Imagination and Pretend,ala your "hard charging" ways.

At which Mall do you Ninja?

Laffin'!

'Dear,

Really?!? Now it's Imaginary Pretend Ignore?!? You clueless [bleep] are a RIOT!

Now I'd not say that you Stupid [bleep] ruin a Thread,but you do certainly add copious hilarity of the oblivious kind...which is of course THE [bleep] funniest.

Mebbe,hold your breath and stomp your itty-bitty feet for maximum effect and to REALLY drive your Vagina Monologue home.

Don't "forget" that you "can't" read this.

Laffin'!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've notified John Burns

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am laughing so phoucing hard at you bastards right now you could cause me to break my vow to remain alcohol free.
GFY's

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P.S. I am not a doctor.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kitch,

When I fire a group with my hot rod .257 I fire two and let the barrel cool all the way. If I am firing a ten shot group I do this five times. I expect to get a very long life from this barrel.

I have a .22-250 or .22 rim fires for faster firing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Must be tough for some of these guys to type when their knuckles keep dragging on the ground..............

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 04/03/14.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When I fire a group with my hot rod .257 I fire two and let the barrel cool all the way. If I am firing a ten shot group I do this five times. I expect to get a very long life from this barrel.

That's the way I have to do my pencil barreled .270 except I got for three shots. Heats up rather quickly regardless the ambient temp.

Guys, I've about had enough of some of these idiotic, 2nd grade, single digit I.Q. comments so, I'm out of here. Too bad there's no ignore function on the forum.

Last edited by Kitch; 04/03/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel inclined to follow you Kitch, but I have managed to work out how to make the ignore function work.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I subscribe to this theory.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Recently decided to follow the American principle of freedom of speech, so quit "ignoring" the 7-8 people that had been on my list for a while. It was a mistake, since their free speeches turned out to be, as always, what Shakespeare wrote in Macbeth: "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Back to the ignore button!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I get older, I like the ignore button more and more.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kitch,

If you're still reading, check out the 6mm BR. Very efficient and will handle multiple, long shot strings without worry. Barrel should last 3-4 thousand rounds, or more.

If you just want a 257 Weatherby, go for it. It's a fun round and a real terror in the field, but like others have mentioned, it's not a round you want shoot multiple shots with from the bench. Also, to get the most out of it, go with heavier bullets. Preferably the 115 BST or Berger VLD. Lots of people swear by the 100 TTSX, but as Boxer illustrated, it's a ping pong ball and limits the bad azzness of the round. The 115 BST/VLD really let's you get the most out of the 257.

As for Weatherby Mark V rifles, I've always had great luck with mine. Accurate(MOA or better)right out of the box. Quality and reliability have been excellent as well, but then again I don't subject them to the extreme conditions as some here do. YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

...and proper break-in

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few years ago there was a gunsmith in Idaho who claimed that any barrel would be ruined if not broken in "correctly" from the start. Of course, he knew the correct procedure, and charged a "reasonable" fee to do the job--if, of course, you paid shipping both ways, plus the cost of ammo.

Like Bob, I like having to replace only a few barrels a year because of having not-so-few rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...the key, as one of our more astute contributors stated, was being able to identify " harmonic oscillations " ...... grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I still like my 30-378 accumark..,its one of those UBER magnums..I think.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As Do Nothing Day Dreaming Dumbfhukkery goes...I'd have to rate Imaginary Pretend Ignore,right at the top of the [bleep] list...in regards to sheer hilarity.

Right proper Dichotomy,that THE dumbest of the dumbfhukks,is always the first to poke their heads in the sand. Then the poor poor Stupid [bleep] wonder aloud,as to why they are soooooooo [bleep] Stupid.

It's just oh sooooooooo good...then couple it with a lengthy reasons of why not to shoot!

[bleep] AWESOME!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kitch: I have three 257 Weatherbys and the 2K round count sounds about right. Mine went about 2400 before barrel replacement and I was meticulous about three shot groups then cooling. Without question, at least in my experience, the most lethal killer of deer I've ever experienced. I can tell you that not one deer has ever taken a step when shot with either the 100gr Hornady or the TTSX at ranges from 25 to over 350. It's a great cartridge, but you must be judicious with barrel care. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you're still reading, check out the 6mm BR. Very efficient and will handle multiple, long shot strings without worry. Barrel should last 3-4 thousand rounds, or more.

I have looked at a Savage 12 LRPV in that caliber. I'm not sure I like the stock-prefer wood really but, I won't discount it. I suppose other than the 6PPC it's right up there in accuracy and with the larger barrel not the heat up problems.

Make no mistake, the 257 Weatherby is a fine cartridge and about the only one I'd pick. Factory ammo is most expensive, I've found out.

Last edited by Kitch; 04/04/14.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Still waiting on my deal to materialize, but none of the real discussion has made me want one any less...

Factory loads are not cheap, and the empty brass seems to go pretty fast in the Classified section.

Darn it, still want one!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I have looked at a Savage 12 LRPV in that caliber. I'm not sure I like the stock-prefer wood really but, I won't discount it. I suppose other than the 6PPC it's right up there in accuracy and with the larger barrel not the heat up problems.

Make no mistake, the 257 Weatherby is a fine cartridge and about the only one I'd pick. Factory ammo is most expensive, I've found out.

Kitch,

You may be aware already, but Weatherby offers a budget minded box of ammo for around $40.00 a box,which is less than or equal to a box of Virgin Brass. It utilizes Weatherby brass and a 100 gr Norma Spitzer bullet. Shoot it up at the range and then use the empties for reloads. Getting about 7-8 firings per casing, a box of reloads costs me appx $20.00.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The first place I looked at for ammo was Midway and Bud's. Both had the 115 gr Nosler BT for around $75-80. I nearly dropped my teeth. That's for 20 rounds. Nosler's are good, use them in the .270 Winchester but, they're not that good.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shooters pro shop has blems with 110 accubonds for 41$ I think

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've read a lot of high accolades about Weatherby's Vanguard S2, I think they call it. I saw a Deluxe model in 270 Winchester(favorite caliber) and the price was most inviting at $875. The two stage trigger for me might take a little getting use to, however but; they seem to be pretty accurate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any rifle I live long enough to shoot the barrel out of will bring a massive grin... how are you gonna lose?

It's like the time I was drift fishing [light tackle] in the Chesapeake bay with some pals. Hooked onto a 25 pound stingray --- there were acres and acres of them around --- and did he make my drag sing! After about 100 yards of line my buddy reached over to tighten my drag. "Un-uh", I said, "leave it". "He'll take all you got or burn the reel!" he said. "Then she's had a good life, leave it alone!" says I.

I had never had a fish run me dry before, and the prospect was wonderful...

Eventually boated the stingray, and it was fun ... still fish with the reel today.

Shoot the rifle and feel lucky.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The first place I looked at for ammo was Midway and Bud's. Both had the 115 gr Nosler BT for around $75-80. I nearly dropped my teeth. That's for 20 rounds. Nosler's are good, use them in the .270 Winchester but, they're not that good.

Kitch,

Here you go, "in stock" at Midway for $37.99...

257 Weatherby Mag 100 gr Spitzer

I've utilized them in my 257 and they average just under an inch. They've also been a little faster velocity wise than Weatherby advertises.

The Vanguard's are great guns and a terrific value for the money. Also very accurate. It would be a good way to slip into a 257 for minimal $$.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just worked a load up with my 257 fibermark.

110 Accubond at 3530 FPS.
215M caps
69 gr RL22
under 1/2" at 100 yards.

μολὼν λαβέ

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here you go, "in stock" at Midway for $37.99...

That's one good way to stock up on good brass as well. I also noticed they have Nosler ammo with the 110 gr AccuBond...a bit higher but a great bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...ubond-spitzer-box-of-20?cm_vc=OBv1880779

Apparently RL22 and RL25 is the powder to use with this caliber. Right now, my mind's in a caliber war between the 257 and my ol' standby 270. don't you just h ate decisions? smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any powder with a burn-rate from the 4350's to Ramshot Magnum is worth a try, whether H4831, RL-22, RL-25, H1000 or 7828. I've had my best luck with 100-grain bullets using Magnum in two .257 Weatherby's.

The reason Magnum doesn't appear as much as other powders when questions like this come up is because most handloaders stick to powders with easily available load data. Then they try a couple and stick to the one that works best in their rifle. But Ramshot will provide some guidelines if you ask them.

Even old IMR4350 often works well, as it should, since it's what Roy Weatherby used to develop the cartridge, since at the time it was the slowest burning powder available. As a matter of fact various Nosler manuals have listed as the most accurate powder with some bullets. Their newest #7 manual lists as among the fastest with 100-grain bullets, and as the most accurate with 110 AccuBonds.

If you hunt in widely varying temperatures you might also consider one of the more temp-resistant powders on the list.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1
I still like my 30-378 accumark..,its one of those UBER magnums..I think.

I love mine too!

200 accubonds at 3250 fps is nice~

μολὼν λαβέ

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
boated the stingray

no thank you sir, not for me. I have caught truckloads of the dang things, despite my best efforts to avoid them (never a 25 lber, though ...). it's like trying to drag a parachute through the water. given the whipping action of the tail as you reel them up to the boat, I'd never voluntarily put one into the same boat that I am occupying

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have 2 Weatherby Vanguards S2,s one in 270 Winchester
And the Other in 7mm Remington Mag. The 270 Winchester is
the most accurate rifle I own. They both will shoot better than
I can hold. The 270 Winchester seems to be a little more
accurate than the 7MM. They both have trigger take up but release
about 3lbs, each. They have the Lightest trigger I ever gotten on a retail rifle.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.