Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I see active discussion on airguns and was looking at the sites suggested (pyramydair and straightshooters) and was wanting to cut to the chase and look for a lefty airgun.

what lefty brand/model would you suggest for plinking and some light hunting? What caliber would you suggest for plinking and light hunting? I do not think I will pay $500 for one but who knows. I know virtually nothing of airguns so will just delve in and learn about airguns but I know I do not want to have to carry any tanks lol.

BP-B2

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Most manufacturers don't offer a lefty stock, it's usually a special order. Most, if not all makers offer a uni stock for both type of shooters on all of their models.
If you want a lefty there are several guys that make custom stocks, but as you may know already, they're not cheap.
As far as what caliber for hunting and plinking, it's up to you. A .177 will kill a bunny just as dead as a .22 would. Personally all of my springers are .22's, I don't hunt, but I like to be prepared just in case I do need to kill something that a .177 can't drop. And if my .22's aren't enough, I can just pull out the powder burners.
Google, Yellow Forum. Read every post, that's what I did as a newbie air head 10 years ago, you'll learn a lot.

S.W.A.G. it
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I do not want to go to the custom rifle stock route. At least there is not a bolt on these air rifles from what I can see so that really does not require a air rifle to be a lefty. When you say uni stock I presume you mean these rifles are not geared for a RH or LH shooter but rather it fits both RH and LH shooters?

I saw someone mention Sampler from some websites and this helps as there are literally thousands listed to try.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22 calibers are far better for hunting anything larger than squirrels if you intend to harvest the animals.

The .177 will kill larger animals, but they may run off before they die, which isn't really a problem with many pests, although I prefer quick humane kills

Most of the break barrel guns are pretty much ambidextrous

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two Weihrauch rifles are ambidextrous and in .177 will do what you describe. The HW30S and HW50S.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My RW 34P has a cheek piece on both sides, so I guess it's both R&L.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was watching some videos on youtube yesterday & THINK I remember one of the reviewers (Pyramid Air???) mention that the new Benjamin Marauders could be converted to lefty...Maybe the pistol?

ETA: yep it can be done on the pistol only...

I've about got myself talked into buying one...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 03/30/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a lefty and i have two air rifles one is the Hatsan 125 Sniper Air Rifle, Camo 25 cal and the other is the Benjamin Nitro Piston 22 cal and both are ambidextrous

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
there are several you can use.
Stoeger X5
HW30
HW50
Benjamin 392 or 397
Bronco

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I was watching some videos on youtube yesterday & THINK I remember one of the reviewers (Pyramid Air???) mention that the new Benjamin Marauders could be converted to lefty...Maybe the pistol?

ETA: yep it can be done on the pistol only...

I've about got myself talked into buying one...

According to the Crosman website the new Marauders bolt can be switched to the left side.

"What's New
All-weather synthetic stock designed and balanced with field carry in mind. Features an adjustable comb for a custom fit.
Moved the trigger rearward where, when combined with the redesigned stock, provides a more comfortable hand position.
Reversible bolt - First built for the Marauder Pistol, it's now been adapted to the rifle.
The "mouse hole" / bolt stud protrusion has also been eliminated for a cleaner look and to keep the action debris-free.
Simplified the breech design for assembly, service and to provide a more stable platform for larger scopes.
A 30% increase in shot count (.22 & .177).
Factory installed de-pinger changes the sharp "ping" to a dull thud resulting in a less-perceived noise level."

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I seen that yesterday & was gonna post, but I got sidetracked...Now if they can just address the problem they seem to be having with leaks, they'll be offering a great product at a great price...Not that Crosman won't fix the problem nor that fixing the leaks yourself is either costly or difficult but it's something they could easily address. A leaky gun should never be allowed to leave the factory.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, it would be too bad if they don't clean up their act. The problems are simple fixes but shouldn't come out of the box like that. Good way to ruin your reputation and lose potential customers. I wouldn't mind "upgrading" to one of the new left hand convertible models, but my first version .25 shoots so well I don't want to chance it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hatsan makes one of the best 25 Cal air rifles for hunting the the 125 Sniper Magnum Springer, no other springer will touch it for the money

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_125_Sniper_Air_Rifle_Combo_Camo/2675/5269

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 682 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.