24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I recently took delivery on an 1899 Savage 303 in pretty nice shape. What I REALLY like is the Lyman Alaskan sitting proudly in Stith mounts on top. Anyway, I've got a question. The rifle's SN is 186952 and the forearm matches that. The buttstock and buttplate are both numbered 186987, a 35 number difference. The buttplate also has what appear to be inspector initials. Here's a pic.
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
The perch-belly buttstock has a crescent butt and straight grip. Pic.
It's got a 22" barrel that appears uncut. My question - Murray says the 1899 short rifle didn't come with a crescent butt and that the 1899A didn't come with a 22" barrel. I plan on sending pics and info to Mr. Callahan, but in the meantime I'm dying to know what you guys think. And is the difference in the buttplate/buttstock numbers from the gun SN significant? And just to gloat a bit, another pic.
Thanks for your thoughts.
yooper

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yooper35
I recently took delivery on an 1899 Savage 303 in pretty nice shape. What I REALLY like is the Lyman Alaskan sitting proudly in Stith mounts on top. Anyway, I've got a question. The rifle's SN is 186952 and the forearm matches that. The buttstock and buttplate are both numbered 186987, a 35 number difference. The buttplate also has what appear to be inspector initials. Here's a pic.
The perch-belly buttstock has a crescent butt and straight grip. Pic.
It's got a 22" barrel that appears uncut. My question - Murray says the 1899 short rifle didn't come with a crescent butt and that the 1899A didn't come with a 22" barrel. I plan on sending pics and info to Mr. Callahan, but in the meantime I'm dying to know what you guys think. And is the difference in the buttplate/buttstock numbers from the gun SN significant? And just to gloat a bit, another pic.
Thanks for your thoughts.
yooper

I also have an mod 1899 A short Rifle with a cresent butt plate with a 22" barrel, ser 1206xx,30-30 .

22" is standard for the short rifle, stocks could well be factory ,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would guess its factory, to meet someone's request. I'd also guess the initials were added later by an owner as a way to identify the gun if it were ever stolen.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would agree with Drew...assuming that it has a factory 22" brl.

I haven't seen the end of the brl.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
did they notch that forearm?

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here's the end of the barrel.

Yeah, somebody notched the forearm to denote the number of Sasquatch they accounted for with the rifle.

yooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the end of the barrel.

Yeah, somebody notched the forearm to denote the number of Sasquatch they accounted for with the rifle.

yooper

same front sight definitely factory barrel, rear sight would probably have been a #14 Rocky Mountain [buckhorn] or after 1912 sporting windgauge sight,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It will be an interesting letter, you hope for at least a clue.
it sure looks right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, that's my rifle.

steve99= Steve Voorhees=SV

PM me and I'll send you my address. Tell JTC to reroute the letter.

Nice rifle by the way.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I'm glad I found the rightful owner, Steve. I'll start getting it packed.

Is the charge for a JTC letter still $30? It's been several years since I sent for one.
Thanks
yooper

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm glad I found the rightful owner, Steve. I'll start getting it packed.

Is the charge for a JTC letter still $30? It's been several years since I sent for one.
Thanks
yooper

you forgot to tell him shipping charges are 850.00. grin

norm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the "Misc. Good Info" sticky up top. Scroll down and you'll find a post with the current letter info. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I got my JTC letter yesterday. It gave me the usual dates of acceptance, shipment, etc and I found it went to Schenectady NY . As to the differents SN's on the buttplate and buttstock from the receiver and forearm, he said this:
[Linked Image]

Here's the numbers on my buttplate and buttstock:
[Linked Image]

And it's definitely NOT a shotgun style buttplate! How did my gun get its stock and what, likely, is on #186987? The stock from #186952? In the opinion of this esteemed Forum, would my rifle be considered "correct"?
yooper

Last edited by yooper35; 04/15/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There have been several guns with wood that is from a relatively close SN. It is generally accepted that this happened in the factory from time to time. The reasons can be many I would imagine. I wouldn't condemn your piece for this discrepancy.

There is a chance that 186987 has the correct wood with the correct SN stamped on it. Who knows??

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I assume that the letter says that both were a short rifle with shotgun butt? With one having a factory serialed rifle butt and plate it is obviously a factory error made in the log book.

When and where the stocks were switched is still unknown. But as long as you have the letter to show that both were logged as short rifles I would say you are okay. Would have been nice to know if both SR's were shipped to the same location. If they were the stocks might have been switched at the store. If not then probably done at the factory.

Just my $.02 on the subject. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick, looks like his is a SR with crescent buttplate.

Wonder if it was a long weekend and somebody stamped 35+ buttplates and buttstocks all with the same number? grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rick99
I assume that the letter says that both were a short rifle with shotgun butt? With one having a factory serialed rifle butt and plate it is obviously a factory error made in the log book.

When and where the stocks were switched is still unknown. But as long as you have the letter to show that both were logged as short rifles I would say you are okay. Would have been nice to know if both SR's were shipped to the same location. If they were the stocks might have been switched at the store. If not then probably done at the factory.

Just my $.02 on the subject. smile

Yes Rick, both are listed as short rifles with shotgun butts. JTC did not give any shipping info on #186987. But even if they were sent to the same place, both are listed as having shotgun butts, so there'd be no need to change anything at the store if indeed they shipped as stated by the record.
yooper

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.