B
Need some Krylon but not too bad.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's a nice beater Rigby with a Kahles in a side mount for those ugly rainy days.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That is a fine piece of work!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
My Sako AV sits in a McMillan stock and wears an old Vari-XIII 1.5-5. It's deadly. Shoots everything well. I lean toward the 300 grain bullets.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It will now toss a 416.. big bore..grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Need some ideas. Scope, mounts.

I was after general purpose go most anywhere (in N America) hunt anything. I started with a Rem 700 XCR. Despite what their web site said, my gun weighed 6 pounds 12 ounces bare. "Perky" recoil. smile I tore the iron sights off it and installed a Leupold 3-9X Vari X II 40 mm objective in Leupold low dual dovetail bases and rings. I also had Neil Jones take the trigger pull down to a pound even.

It packed nice. The stock and recoil pad fit and flexed enough recoil wasn't particularly bad. Unfortunately it didn't shoot well, the factory chamber was oval. Resizing brass was really bad.

I rebarreled that action twice and still couldn't get anything to shoot well on it, tried 3 different stocks, and eventually just decided something was wonky with that action so I sold it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I just received my LH CZ 550 Safari in .375. I bought a Zeiss 1.2 - 5 x 32 IR Duralyt scope for it. The CZ shop has a Weaver rail that fits the dove tails on the magnum action, and I am trying to decide whether to use a rail with either Talley or Warne QD rings ... that way I think I should be able to share scopes with my other rifles (I know I will have to re-center.) Otherwise, I'll probably just use QD rings from Alaska Arms.

In any event, I plan to send the CZ to AHR for his action/safety/trigger/ bolt job.

C
C
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I use QD rings on steel Weavers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've admired pics of this rifle for a while. When did your barrel turn black, and what did you use? Also, how do you like the smooth stock? I'm considering a boyds laminate for a 375 build and wonder how important the checkering is.

Thanks,
Chris

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

I had that rifle coated a couple yrs ago. More bling than anything. Probably would not do it again.

Those boyds are fine for a 375. I cut the forend short and hollowed out the forend and but to reduce weight. I like those stocks. No problems w/o checkering so I never did go ahead on getting that done.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Both are 375 Rugers.

The one on the left is factory 20" with a McMillan, 1.1-4 Kahles with Warne rings, Spec Tech trigger.

The one on the right has a 22.5" barrel, McMillan, barrel band front sight, and 1.5-6x42 Zeiss with Alaska Arms rings.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ldmay375; 10/10/14.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I use QD rings on steel Weavers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Paul,

what are those rings?

Phil

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's a nice beater Rigby with a Kahles in a side mount for those ugly rainy days.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Good of them to put a metal handle on that fire wood...

That is just a really nice looking gun, really nice.

I have a stock CZ. Returned a peep sight for the factory open sights. Only extra I have is a second scope & rings. I use the Warne QD rings for both set ups, and both have always returned to zero. One holds a 2 x 8 and the other either a 2 3/4 or 4x power scope, depending on my mood.

Some very nice rifles guys, haven't seen an ugly one yet.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukonphil
Paul,

what are those rings?

Phil

Hey Phil .... Not sure the brand on those rings. Owned them a long time. The levers are a bit different than the current Warne but do look similar. They are all steel and have given me no trouble. Not sure I'd go with sights and QD rings again. The NECG sights were expensive and never used. Probably just as well to go with a spare scope in Weaver rings w/o the sights.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Paul,

thank you for your answer.

i had issue with the warne QD on my 375 ruger.
im using llc for now.

most of the time you are right for the open sights.

but this fall we got a loose rear base (lost a bit and the other one was really loose). and yes i used blue loctite.

now im using steel bases with steel rings.

lesson learnt take a spare kit of bases and rings with you with some bits and an extra scope ... but you still need open sights ...

all the best.

Phil

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My long awaited Talkeetna made it home today. I'm thinking a fixed 6 with Talley QD's. However a 2-7 Leupie seems intriguing too. Photos to follow............

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Post them up BW....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
My long awaited Talkeetna made it home today. I'm thinking a fixed 6 with Talley QD's. However a 2-7 Leupie seems intriguing too. Photos to follow............

That was a very tempting rifle when I was chasing another 375. The only thing that keep me from it, right or wrong, was the lack of a floor plate. Yes, the views go 180... They seemed to be a very well laid out piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had two 375s over the years. One a 375 H&H and the other a RUM.

Rifle one 375 H&H
Winchester 70 Classic
Lightweight conversion by Extreme Rifle Works, all extra wieght removed, 6 pounds 4 ounces sans scope, 20� barrel
Brockman Popup peep scope base, QD talley rings w/ 1.5-5 leupy lighted reticle
MPI ultra light stock, mountain rifle configuration
[Linked Image]

Rifle two 375 RUM
Remington 700 with shilen barrel 24� + vias brake
XS sight system peep base, warne QD rings with Ziess conquest 3-9x40
currently set up with light mount below barrel
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sevens
Warne QD mounts holding a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20mm for my primary and express iron sights for backup. I like this setup very much and you can get multiple QD rings to have multiple scopes for various purposes (like a lighted reticle for leopard or just a backup scope).

The chances are very slim backup will ever be needed. Nikon uses special cement to hold optical components of that scope in place. Multiple blade express sights on rifles are only good for snagging on branches. One regulated to load fixed blade rear is all that is needed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Finally had time to get the Talkeetna setup - at least for now. Went with a straight 6x Leupie and my reliable Talley QD mounts.

It came finished very well in the action area. Nice movement to the magazine so no binding to worry about.
[Linked Image]

The action area was we'll finished with a factory trigger at 3.5#'s so that needs no tweaking.

[Linked Image]

Here it is all setup. It was 7# 9oz. out of the box. Set up this way its 8# 9 oz..
The muzzle diameter is .695" with a maximum magazine OAL of 3.640".

[Linked Image]

A guy could do quite a bit of "constructive work" with this pair. Filling a freezer and a game room would be quite easy. The .308 Montana weighs in as it sits at 6# 0oz..

[Linked Image]

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've owned and hunted with two .375's over the years. The first I still own, a Mark X Mauser that's had some work done to it. I cut and recrowned the barrel at 22", and fitted two stocks, one synthetic and one walnut. Dave Gentry installed one of his 3-position safeties, and D'Arcy Echols a set of NECG express sights. Have had various scopes on it, including a 4x28 Leupold and a 1.5-6x Bausch & Lomb, but right now it has one of the new-generation 3x20 Leupolds in Talley detachable rings. It has hunted both in North America and Africa, and the scope has worked fine on big game out to 300 yards.

The other was a Ruger No. 1 that "GuyM" from the Campfire now owns and mentioned earlier in this thread. I never used it in North America except on prairie dogs, in preparation for an iron-sight-only safari in Botswana, using an NECG aperture sight and the factory front. In Africa it took my first Cape buffalo, and four plains game animals from impala to kudu at ranges out to 220 yards. I also used the No. 1 on a plains-game hunt in South Africa with a 1.75-6x Leupold, taking animals from springbok to gemsbok. It worked just fine that way too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.