-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but, at least you'd still have your rifle.....

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The only way to roll if you plan on jump shooting.

Trail riding might be a different story, never tried it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That is the best way to have it if your going to bale and flale. My knee bothered me to much last year to carry like that. I moved the scabbard opposite side more vertical. Reach over pull the rifle with left hand while dismounting in one motion. The horse is a little more free to bend his neck with a more vertical rifle also.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That way works until the horse and scabbard goes on the opposite side of tree. Which will happen if you ride in thick timer sooner or later. BTDT

As an example, this photo shows a dense stand of aspen in back of me that I had to thread down thru, with many trees about knee width apart in the saddle. Weaving in an out and paying attention to the pack mule to make sure it doesn't go on the wrong side of a tree, a person sometimes forgets about what's on his saddle.

[Linked Image]

Of course Sam's photo shows pretty much open country with no trees so it should work ok.

Lot of different ways that can be suited to the type of country one rides in.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/30/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore
That way works until the horse and scabbard goes on the opposite side of tree. Which will happen if you ride in thick timer sooner or later. BTDT

I know all about that, can find out real quick how good that Mcmillan stock really is.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never had trouble splitting stuff apart on trees. If the rifle is mounted high enuff, you can always reach down and push it against the horse when ya see the tree coming. Another upside is, the rifle is always where you can see it. When you lose your first rifle outta the low, near-side backwards scabbard that a limb pops open and the rifle falls out in the snow in rough stuff where it's not immediately noticed, you'll damn sure re-thunk yer options......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is also some extra security/protection from the top scabbard strap breaking and flinging yer gun into la-la land, if ya rig it thru the lariat....
[Linked Image]

A bazillion miles scope-down has also proven to NOT be a prollem....

And, it's a lot easier to lash meat to a stock saddle when the scabbard don't cover the dee/rigging rings.....
[Linked Image]

A good scabbard is also a great way to transport yer rifle up to the trailhead.
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, I like that, bale and flale!

SS, yeah, open country is way less tricky.

And unlike you I'm not leading anything so maneuverability is way easier.

Generally when riding through trees it's going to be slow going which makes the rare 'hang-up' not a big deal. Branches hurt when they start whapping ya too hard!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ironbender
What about when the critter rears and puts the stock in your forehead? smile

[Linked Image]

Why ride a horse that rears? Not me.

That's a jo... , ah say, that's a joke son!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22

There is also some extra security/protection from the top scabbard strap breaking and flinging yer gun into la-la land, if ya rig it thru the lariat....
[Linked Image]

That's how I rigged it last year, easier on my knee and just tuck it in by the neck in tight spots. The only down fall with that setup is rain and snow getting down the scabbard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been around a lot of horses carrying rifles and many owners have strong feelings about the proper way to rig the scabbard. It could be the same in the case of this thread.

Open country, semi-open country, brush, timber, trails or no trails are all legitimate considersations in rigging the scabbard. Other considerations are horse health, saddle balance and safety. Another consideration is how many shoot-em-up westerns we have watched. grin

I would prefer to carry the rifle on the near side with butt up to the rear, muzzle down so when I dismount it is easy to grab the gun butt and yank it out even if the horse moves or jerks forward. However, saddle balance is paramount for me and there is a trade off. Therefore, as shown in my pic previously posted, I carry the rifle on the offside butt up to the rear, muzzle down.

With practice I found I can dismount quickly with the rifle in the right hand without dropping the rifle or creating a wreck.

Interesting thread.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
What about when the critter rears and puts the stock in your forehead? smile

[Linked Image]

Why ride a horse that rears? Not me.

Why would you want to hunt on a horse that rears up? I don't and will not own that ain't broke better than that.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=huntsman22]I've never had trouble splitting stuff apart on trees. If the rifle is mounted high enuff, you can always reach down and push it against the horse when ya see the tree coming. Another upside is, the rifle is always where you can see it. When you lose your first rifle outta the low, near-side backwards scabbard that a limb pops open and the rifle falls out in the snow in rough stuff where it's not immediately noticed, you'll damn sure re-thunk yer options......

You need to go back and read my first post on this thread..

Rough country for added safety I use the rear saddle ties around the butt of the rifle to tie it off too.

Then read my second one.
There was no chance to push the tree away or the scabbard inward. As stated when you are threading your way thru thick trees, paying attention to the pack mule ,you can't be worrying about where your rifle is.

The scabbard was mounted, stock forward and when she lunged, she went on one side of the aspen I was going to tie to and the scabbard went to the other. The leather strap on front broke, but so did the stock.

I don't pack on my stock saddle. My mule can usually handle a full elk by herself, If not I make two trips,no problem

The only times I have had problems is carrying the scabbard, butt forward. In my younger days, I was mostly riding green broke mules every year in training. Having a rifle butt up that close to the neck proved worrisome when they started to make trouble, and I don't carry a lariat as I have never had the need to rope some thing when hunting and if I need rope, it's in the panniers at all times.

I can't ever remember the time when I had to jump off and shoot right now. Back in the year when CO permitted anyone to purchase three elk tags, I dismounted, pull my rifle from the butt rearward scabbard, snuggled against a rock and killed two cows in about 30 seconds or less after I got settled. I still had the reins in my hands and the horse and pack mule was right behind me.

One of the big problems with butt forward is with green horses and a lot of rental horses. You reach down and grab the rifle butt,swing it around and these dumb critters think the are about to get whacked in the head, or you walk up to them with the rifle raised getting ready to slip it in the scabbard and they rear back. Rodeo ensues.

Mots of the photos posted are, I am sure, of well seasoned horses, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I started this whole deal of hunting with horses in about 1967 so I'm not exactly a newbie at all this as are most others who posted their preferences. So I'm worried about all the less than experienced ones who might rent a horse, or take their wife's arena horse and go off hunting. Whatever one decides, make as it safe as possible. Bad things can happen and they happen fast.

Again, there are all different ways of making it work, depending on the circumstances. Referring back to the fist sentence of my first post on this thread.

Everyone has different preferences, but these are mine.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/30/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some real nice horse/saddle/gun set up in this thread. Nice to learn how "they do it in" different parts of the country. Have we heard from back east yet?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
John-
Did you miss this part? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore/

Whatever one decides, make as it safe as possible. Bad things can happen and they happen fast.

+1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
John-
Did you miss this part? smile

My bad!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,544
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.