Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Stealing a thought or two from JB here, but haven't found anything I don't like to hunt either. However, I've been lusting over wild sheep for 30 years and never hunted one. I love hunting free range aoudad, as they are a spot and stalk hunters dream. Another however, big mule deer bucks really turn my crank, and after 40 years of chasing them I never get tired of hunting them or attempting to outsmart one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. mule deer
2. mule deer
3. whitetail deer(all species)
4. antelope
5. tie between elk and sheep

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't hunted enough other stuff to say for sure yet, but I can't imagine loving anything a whole lot more than looking for mature mule deer. They are just such an incredibly cool critter and can be so wiley at times that I don't know how it could get much more fun.

That may change after this summer....grin

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got to say whitetails.

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gota be whitetails because no 2 are alike. trying to kill bigger,wider,taller,heavier with whitetail racks i enjoy most.we have lots of bear but they all look alike,you seen one you seen them all.i would like the chance to killa big elk,mulie or moose. pronghorns to me mostly look the same,don't believe i could stay interested in them long. but i do like long range hunting,so maybe i could.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It used to be moose. But I got older and my back isn't what it once was. I'd have to say pronghorn antelope. Chasing them around the prairie is some of the most fun I've ever had.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mule Deers first paragraph. Dall sheep/ Mt. goat are #1 tho, with the sheep edging out goat.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I enjoy any hunting that requires movement and takes place in interesting environments. I love chasing Muledeer in transition zones where I may be in sagebrush in the morning and Pinetrees at lunchtime. Pronghorns provide the wide open vistas that I also crave. Elk are fun and challenging as well as delicious but for me are more complicated logistically. I can hunt coyotes any time near my house and I am currently obsessed with finding a wolf. Being outdoors w/ a rifle in hand always makes me happy.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sitka deer or caribou for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Current favorite = bear. Especially because they can be hunted in the spring, when there is much less competition for the hills.

Least favorite = elk.

This.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by roundoak
What is your favorite North America big game animal to hunt and why?

Blacktailed deer.

Why? Fall is my favorite time of year and prime blacktailed deer habitat is the best place to experience fall. Leaves start to change color, still generally dry out but the edge is gone off the heat, a little chill at night. And with any luck, a little venison for the smoker.

Tom

And this.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting and fishing both have kept the kid in me alive for a long time. There isn't a patch of woods or pond I've driven or walked by that didn't have me wondering what critters were in there and how to kill or catch them. If it crawls, walks or swims it's my number one for that moment. Damn, I love the outdoors!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
roundoak;
Thanks for the thread topic and thanks to those who've responded, it makes for some interesting reading for me to be sure.

Personally my favorite hunt would be mule deer in the high sagebrush bowls that run up against old growth Douglas Fir stands. The kinda county we see here.
[Linked Image]

Truthfully I don't hunt that country very often most years however, because typically it will only have mulies and black bears in it as far as big game.

We are quite spoiled here in BC in that we've got almost 3 months to chase big game and it's only from Nov. 11th onward that we'll only be chasing a single animal which is whitetail bucks. From Sept. 10 until then, we'll usually have a black bear tag, bull elk tag, bull moose tag, mule deer buck tag and lastly a whitetail buck tag in tow.

There's an area we haunt on the mountain behind the house that holds all of them and on any given morning in fall, if we're lucky we just might bump into any or all of them. Here it is on a November morning at first light - it's a lot "thicker" up here.
[Linked Image]

Anyway that's my choice, why I'd choose it and why I don't follow that choice many seasons - if that makes any sense? wink

Thanks again for the thread and all the best to you and yours this week.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/02/14. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I originally said this:

Originally Posted by efw
Still working on making an informed decision.

...which is true cuz I am working on hunting different animals right now, but this:

Originally Posted by mmgravy
Love walking across the prairie hunting antelope the best. Usually decent weather that time of year and then there are those prairie dogs.....

...is true for me so far. The fact that I can take my boys and have them LOVE the WHOLE experience (road trip, new country, many animals, spotting & stalking, etc) is the biggest factor.

R
R
Like many of you, being out in the fall is what makes it feel like hunting season to me. Here in Colorado, nothing better exemplifies that than first or second season elk. It also doesn't hurt that elk meat is my all-time favorite!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I am happy to be hunting about anything but in no particular order I like mule deer, whitetails and elk.

If I can get a tag for any of these I am a pretty happy camper.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Archery elk and Sitka black tail. Because they both taste great and are less filling!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I feel fortunate to live in some great Whitetail country, but Mule deer is my favorite big game animal to hunt due in no small part to the sight, sounds and smell of the Missouri Breaks. I have hunted Mule deer in the Rockies and Badlands, also, however the Breaks continue to beckon me back.

Dusty trails, stunted pines, juniper, sage brush, muddy alkaline water holes and an old trapper log cabin.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to prefer deer hunting, then coyote hunting, but now that wild hogs have moved in, they take first place.

My first four hog kills were made stalking through patches of cane in swampy areas, and were all less than 30 yards. It is very exciting to be in the cane, with 5-10 hogs within 7 to 25 yards, and not to be able to see any of them, just the cane shaking. It anchors you to the now, all your other cares are forgotten.

They taste great too!

Hunting older deer is quite a challenge, and coyotes are extremely challenging to hunt in this are, but I have come to prefer the get in amongst them hog hunting.

TANSTAAFL
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.