-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any of you guys shoot one? I think that's the direction I'm moving from a 5 pin. If you do, what do you shoot and what do/don't you like about it?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do, I shoot a trijicon on one bow and the black gold on the other.

I could not go back to a multi-pin sight.

G5 ( I think) makes one that has a fixed 20 yard pin. The other is adjustable that is a great idea. At least for me 90% of my shooting is 30 yards and less. So the adjustable pin is typically a 10-20 adjustment range for me.

The precision with an adjustable pin is nice for me. Range target, set the pin easy! They are not without their own design struggle at times. Moving game requires estimating in a hurry to adjust, often just holding high with a guesstimate.

I shoot rabbits all winter. It gets easier with lots of practice.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes single pin, I don't need to worry about adjusting it till past 30 yds

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
HHA Optimizer Lite XL-5519... Great sight, I don't foresee myself changing back to multiple pins any time in the future.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JJHACK
G5 ( I think) makes one that has a fixed 20 yard pin. The other is adjustable that is a great idea.

Yes, G-5 has two fixed and floating pin models. I have shot the HHA series and the G-5 series before. G-5 has two models, one with a fixed pin and a floating pin, and a three fixed pin with a forth floating pin. I used several of the Three/One versions, and liked them. I quit using them because of the blue pin light, one of the best lights I've used, but I kept breaking one-two every year. The G-5 sight uses a tiny proprietary screw-in base for the pin light, other lights won't work in the sight. The end-cap switch of the light kept breaking or popping off, and the light was unrepairable. The sight design uses fairly short fiber optic strands, and the light is needed for dawn/dusk. The light batteries are an uncommon cell, you won't typically find it at the drug store, but you can purchase them cheap in bulk on e-bay.

At $35 and change a piece for the lights, I decided I didn't like the light design and switched to other sights.

I like the "range it" and "set it" feature of a HHA single pin, but I don't like fumbling with the sight while I'm watching game. Deer in my area can be hyper alert, any extra movement can become a "busted" moment, so I prefer the multiple pins and pre-ranged landmarks for dialing in the shot.

I have a brand new HHA in the tackle box that may get out again this year, but I didn't find it useful in years past. Setting the range tape on the HHA was actually pretty simple and easy to do, and the sight is silent in adjustment in the stand.

Both G-5 and HHA are quality sights, you won't be wrong in purchasing either one for the long haul.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/01/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The trijicon has laser engraved numbers for range. They never come off the nice round dial is so smooth and easy to adjust it's a pleasure

No battery as it's got that fancy radio active triangle tip that glows great

However...... If you're gonna pay full price you're better off throwing rocks at game, they are simply stupid expensive. Not that the gearing, design, and engineering plus the amazing machine work is cheap. It's likely the most intricate and expensive bow sight made. I love it, but I would not have it at the retail cost!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Our deer flinch so bad at the shot, that I no longer will even consider a shot past about 16-17 steps and prefer by far, 15 and inside.

I use one pin of course. No need for others.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with that, Rost. I made the switch to no pins, 20 yards is about it for me. Yes, I have had to turn down a shot at a bull elk at about 35 yards. Just my choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using an HHA single pin for about 4 years. I sight in for 30 and leave it that way for 0 to 40 yards. I have learned to compensate my aim for varying distances. It is easier than trying to figure out what pin to use and/or shooting between pins.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
HHA 5510, like the others have said one pin and compensate will get most set ups out to 40 yards. If I have time and cover to range and set exactly great if not no worries. For my mind looking at one pin simplifies things.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
IC B3

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An HHA-5519 was included with the Insanity I bought a month ago, I kept the Copper John 5-pin off my Captain just in case I didn't like it...sold the Copper John and I can't see myself using a multiple pin sight again.

Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.