Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
My dad and I just got drawn for our first elk hunt in WY this October, and I need some help choosing a bullet for my rifle. The rifle is a Remington 700, I've been shooting it for a year or two with Federal blue box 180-grain Power Shok bullets, which the rifle shoots very well, usually well under an inch when I do my part. Now, I would like to use a tougher bullet than that for this hunt, and was planning on using a Federal 180-grain Partition load. I bought a box to try this weekend and when I went to the range, I was getting around 2" groups with them, which I'm sure would be good enough, but I would like to do better. Any suggestions on something else I could try? I'm limited to factory loads right now, just want to see what everyone has used on elk before with success- or ones that haven't worked.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I am guessing that yr blue box feds will elk elk just fine, but I have 6 1 shot kills in a row with 180 gr nosler accubonds

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My 300 Win. Likes 180 gr Nosler A/B fueled by H1000

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by JustinL1
My dad and I just got drawn for our first elk hunt in WY this October, and I need some help choosing a bullet for my rifle. The rifle is a Remington 700, I've been shooting it for a year or two with Federal blue box 180-grain Power Shok bullets, which the rifle shoots very well, usually well under an inch when I do my part. Now, I would like to use a tougher bullet than that for this hunt, and was planning on using a Federal 180-grain Partition load. I bought a box to try this weekend and when I went to the range, I was getting around 2" groups with them, which I'm sure would be good enough, but I would like to do better. Any suggestions on something else I could try? I'm limited to factory loads right now, just want to see what everyone has used on elk before with success- or ones that haven't worked.

The bullets you use are far less important than where you place them. My son-in-law uses Winchester 180g Power Points in his .300WM. They have been very accurate and chrono�d a bit faster than advertised. His first elk was at 362 yards, on the far hill about halfway between the tops of the aspens and the top of the hill itself. One shot and it was on the ground before you could say �Colorado�.

[Linked Image]

If the Fed 180g blue box loads shoot well, use them with confidence.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Your blue box ammo will do just fine. I downed two with a -06. Other still use them with great success.

Now packboard's. Get the most comfortable you can get. Cause your going to be in for a treat packing out that meat you get smile

Last edited by Wondermutt; 04/01/14.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot several elk with 180 gr AB's in a 300 WSM. They kill to be sure but they also leave a pile of bloodshot meat on the hill. I highly recommend Partitions if you want to bring the meat home instead of trimming off a bloody mess.
I've also shot a good number of elk with Speer Hotcores. In my experience, they work as well as the Partitions.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've had great luck with 180 TTSXs out of my 300 H&H, you should be able to find the vor-tex ammo loaded with them.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Justin:

I think the 180 grain Power Shock ammo will work just fine. So you don't really need to change anything IMHO.

However, if you want to try a factory loaded premium bullet which has good accuracy and excellent mass retention, then give the Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip a try.

I've used Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partitions and the factory ammo is not as accurate as I had hoped. But reloaded with Nosler Partitions with Spitzer points delivers a pretty accurate load that will certainly retain lots of mass.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
R
Originally Posted by JRK
I am guessing that yr blue box feds will elk elk just fine, but I have 6 1 shot kills in a row with 180 gr nosler accubonds

+1... I have only killed 4 with mine, but I've never had to fire a second shot. My gun seems to like RL22 and 4831 the best.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For factory ammo, I prefer the Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubonds or the Elite XP3's. I reload my 300WM since 2005 with the 180gr AB's, but have used the factory previously and my hunting buddies that shoot 300WM with factory loads prefer the 2 listed.

Reloads with RL22 with 215 primers works great for me!

Have fun on the elk hunt with your dad !!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
While not all bullets will perform the same, I used Privi Partisan 180gr to kill my 1st elk. This one:
[Linked Image]

Went diagnally thru the elk and was just under the skin near the hind quarter from 300yds. That Federal isn't any varmint load. I'd just use it. Especially since you have confidence in it's accuracy.

Incidentally, I only switched to the 180 Nosler E tip because I was using my 300win mag this year on a bison hunt that was going on at the same time as elk season. I was hunting on some federal land that "prefers" that you use non lead ammo.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The bullets you use are far less important than where you place them.

Well said.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
180 nosler ballistic tips are rumored to be pretty tough. They might shoot better than partitions.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
No need to change a thing!!!! Practice and go get em !!!!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I use a 165 TXS out of a Kimber 300 WSM.Tried the 180 Accubond on the first elk shot with this rifle. It was too soft and took two chest shots to do the job. Switched to the 165 Barnes and the last 12 elk died on the spot. My hunting pard shoots a 300 WM with the same bullet and has the same results. Last year these rifles killed a 6x7 and a 6x6 in NM. Range was 300-360 yards, Both high shoulder shots with complete penetration and they dropped on the spot.
I shoot ttxs/tsx out of a 7-08 and 338 Win. The only other elk bullet that I shoot is the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and that's out of a 06 and a 280.I've never had either one fail even with less that perfect shot placement and each of these rifle/loads have taken elk. Most of the time those big bulls don't give you the perfect broadside shot.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
"I'm limited to factory loads right now,"

The 180 gr Factory loads you are presently using will kill Elk, If you don't find a more accurate Factory load,in an equal or heavier weight, use them,and shoot for the ribs.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't worry about your blue box Federal ammo for elk hunting. Practice and Go and kill some elk. People way out think things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As many of the guys have said, any 180 gr bullet out of a 300 Win Mag is effective on game. If you are set on using a Partition, a truly great bullet, factories other than Federal load the Partiton, including Nosler. They can be found online, plus occasionally Nosler sells over-runs & very good seconds, at good discounts, thru their website. Good hunting.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JustinL1

I too am handicapped by not reloading. I tried shooting the federal partitions in my 243 and 2 1/2" 3 shot groups was the best I could get 100yds.
Try these : http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Win-Mag-180-gr-SP/ Its a pretty tuff C&C bullet.These were very accurate in my rifle.
Another option is to try a different manufacturer that load partitions.

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 04/05/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't be scared of the blue box Federals. I think they are the 180 HotCore which is usually a fairly tough bullet. If it shoots well for you, keep shooting it. Plus, it'll probably save you a little more money for practicing too. Good luck. Hope you slay one!

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 69 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.