Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Like I said the other pic clearly showed what I said was conpletley true and you know this.
And I am not the only one that has had problems with that particular bullet. I seen the same gun and load kill spectacularly this year and the next day not so much.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/22/14.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Other picture? Like I said I have killed or seen killed well over a hundred head of game with TSX or TTSX bullets and they flat out work and leave the internals looking like a blender went through them.

No one says that you have to use them, but they are very good game bullets.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The other picture I posted on that thread in question.
A FMJ will work.... Monometal bullets give up wound channel size for penetration. A look at any bullet test data that compares them to other bullets proves this. That's why many the Barnes cultist recommend lighter weight bullets and fast velocity. On top of this The TSX and earlier generation Barnes had quit a few instances of failure to expand. The TTSX was suppose to cure this, but there ave been a few documented failures to expand on this site.
I still use Barnes under certain circumstances like smaller guns and bigger critters. For 300 mags I have zero reservations in regards to using the 180 BT and have done so with great results. And by great results, I dont mean a Rost tracking party.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/23/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've seen sierra game kings fail to expand. And supposedly that can never happen... out of fairly fast rounds ....

Anything can and will fail.

I'll invite ya to my next tracking party.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
A FMJ will work.... Monometal bullets give up wound channel size for penetration. A look at any bullet test data that compares them to other bullets proves this. That's why many the Barnes cultist recommend lighter weight bullets and fast velocity. On top of this The TSX and earlier generation Barnes had quit a few instances of failure to expand. The TTSX was suppose to cure this, but there ave been a few documented failures to expand on this site.
I still use Barnes under certain circumstances like smaller guns and bigger critters. For 300 mags I have zero reservations in regards to using the 180 BT and have done so with great results. And by great results, I dont mean a Rost tracking party.

You are lucky to have recovered that deer given the shot pavement. You should be giving the bullet accolades instead of dogging them.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That 's funny! I use 180 grain TSX & TTSX in both the 300 win and the 30/06 without having any drama or long tracking jobs. Am I just lucky or what? Those that I know and hunt with must be lucky as well. I dropping an antelope in its tracks at 777 lasered yards with the 180 TSX bullet.

Can't see what they are lacking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The bullets you use are far less important than where you place them.

This says is all.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

You are lucky to have recovered that deer given the shot pavement. You should be giving the bullet accolades instead of dogging them.

Shot through the lungs is bad placement? Welding fumes must have got to your brain.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/23/14.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

That 's funny! I use 180 grain TSX & TTSX in both the 300 win and the 30/06 without having any drama or long tracking jobs. Am I just lucky or what? Those that I know and hunt with must be lucky as well. I dropping an antelope in its tracks at 777 lasered yards with the 180 TSX bullet.

Can't see what they are lacking.

Talk to Brad or Chuck Nelson..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shot through the lungs is bad placement? Welding fumes must have got to your brain.

You missed the lungs as the picture clearly illustrate. You simply refuse to admit it.

Your picture of the heart and lungs of the deer in question.
[Linked Image]

Not hit.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For the third time. I did indeed hit the lungs... and I posted a pic of such in the original thread, and you know this....
You just cant except that your wonder bullet didn't work worth a damn.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know that the picture above is the one you posted in the original thread and the lungs are not hit. If Ray Charles were alive even he could see that.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For the third time. I did indeed hit the lungs... and I posted a pic of such in the original thread, and you know this....

Funny, you claim failure on a dead animal, just like I"ve done on a number of other bullets.

Bottom line, there is a bullet that works as best it can under abotu all situations, but if you don't want to use it and risk using another, thats fine.

And remember, if you want DRT its not bullet choice, its ALWAYS shot placement, at least if you want DRT 100% of the time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I know that the picture above is the one you posted in the original thread and the lungs are not hit. If Ray Charles were alive even he could see that.

There were two pics in that thread..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495

Funny, you claim failure on a dead animal, just like I"ve done on a number of other bullets.

Bottom line, there is a bullet that works as best it can under abotu all situations, but if you don't want to use it and risk using another, thats fine.

And remember, if you want DRT its not bullet choice, its ALWAYS shot placement, at least if you want DRT 100% of the time.

Rost, on the small deer you shoot in Texas just about anything works.. Especially from a 300 mag.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There were two pics in that thread..

Your own words claim a hemetoma on the lung which is a bruise. No you did not hit the lungs

Denial is more than just a river in Egyt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A hematoma around the bullet hole.. If I shot it in the guts as you suggest how do you figure the lungs had a hematoma on them... Genius.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/25/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are right, largest I've shot is around 225 and thats rare. More like 160ish.

But I've shot some larger bodied deer in other states, and while my sample is small, I haven't seen anything much different. Whitetails seem to be the same no matter where.

I've watched over 200 plus pound bucks fall at the shot from a 223. And run a ways. I've seen teh same on deer approaching 250 -275 ish act the same from a 223. Have seen similar results with many differing calibers too.

Get the best bullet you can and put it in teh right place. If its ballistic tip, then get on with it. And I might not even say I told ya so later on .....

Of course you negate the evidence I've posted on Nilgai which in many opinions are at least as tough if not more so than elk... thats what led me away from plain bullets and to the Barnes... shooting nilgai.

Well that and the fact that our small whitetails were capable of stopping a 180 partition out of a 300 mag.

If our small deer can stop em... what would your Michigan deer do to a 180 partition or ballistic tip from a 300?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your making the assumption that my use of BT's is new. Its not. I have used them since the first hit the market in the green and red boxes. I have never had one not work, even the early versions, which were quit soft. The latest versions are very tough. In fact, IMO they are the toughest cup and core made.
I can tell you with certainty what happens with MI deer and a 300 mag or ultra with a 180 BT placed in the vitals. DRT. Of course a core loct, or a gameking would do they same as deer are very easy to kill and a BT is overkill for deer.
FWIW I have seen deer stop a 220gr coreloct out of a 30-06. Bone was never hot either and the deer died pretty quick. Did the bullet fail? Would it be more to your liking if the bullet had shot through and the deer ran 150 yards?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, I'd like it much more if it has 2 holes in case it runs.

I'm not saying you havne't had a negative experience. But I have. And on very similar game with similar bullets.

I started with the first ever BTs we could get out of my BILs' 270. 130s. EXTREMELY destructive and at the time we were shooitng does that might have been 80 pounds on a cull deal on some ranches that were way overpopulated.
That was enough for me. JB has told me since then they have changed some of the jacket thicknesses and so on and thats good. If I were to lean to a BT in the future in a fast round, it certainly would be bonded at a minimum.

And I run a varmint BT 80 out of my 243 for deer right now. It works really well. But its only running maybe 1600 or so FPS. Nice and quiet and works well due to the reduced speed.

IMHO your time is coming. Thats what folks are trying to help you with.

But its your choice by far.

Like I said I hunt with cup and core. I simply have to limit my shot choices at times. Fine with me when I choose to go that route. But if I"m going to drive... lets say from MI to CO to hunt elk, time off, cost of tag, fuel, lodgind possibly, maybe a guide and so on.. See where I'm coming from?

If elk were in my back yard like deer, I'd bowhunt em.

Deer... they are in my backyard. I often bowhunt and have to pass up iffy shots. Same when I hunt with my 32-20. Same with the pistols. And so on.

But if I"m going long distance after a once a year or even less game, like elk would be to me and probably you since a drive from MI ain't short either, then sometimes I want to be prepared.

OTOH I hunt moose in AK in the falls. And fly up there and so on. And often choose a 30=30 or MZ and it limits me. Sometimes severely. To where I don't harvest something that had I been properly armed, I'd have taken.

So bottom line you can use about what you want to but a lot depends on the situation.

If you think the 180 bt out of a 300 mag, is the end all do all and the by far safest choice for any shot angle or choice, I'll just continue to dis agree with you.

Wish ya the best on the hunts, you are batting 100% now and I wish you the best that will continue!

Regards, Jeff

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.