-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The red signifies that I'm one of "The Bloods"�.

Hope you Crips aint offended! laugh

It was a bish packing that elk into the low rider�.

Last edited by ingwe; 04/02/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wonder if the OP thinks that a 260 Rem with 130gr Sirrocco's is "little". You know the combination another poster used to kill a bigger, browner bear...

Sam- You're predictions are uncanny! We should go to Vegas.

Wonder how many more times he'll post this story or links to it?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tough crowd.

Would hate to unleash my "lucky" shirt,bitchin' hair and a Booner.

[Linked Image]

Or muse Booner Rubs.

[Linked Image]

Can see where this could get GOOD!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No tats and no Dew Rag�.

And you call yourself a " Hunter"��..

WTF?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Full confession, here, a couple of years ago I posted a story here of a bear that I shot at with a 357 and never recovered. It was posted as "I f'ked up and I am ashamed" type of story. No white knight am I, fer sure.
Safariman takes a shot at bear in dense cover near dusk, and leaves a wounded bear in the hills over night and then posts a hero story about himself and a rant about how great his cartridge choice is. If there are bragging rights here anywhere, I don't see them.
To my feeble mind, this is a perfect example of the WRONG reason to use large cartridges- It promotes the idea "Well, all I hafta do is get one inum cuz I gotta a 338 Testosteroney Magnum". And that leads to exactly what happened here, a wounded animal left in the hills, one that they just happened to find.
Sorry, I don't rant on here often but the idea of bragging on leaving an animal wounded in the hills all night bugged me.

Fred

Last edited by Royce; 04/02/14.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
Fascinating to me,that someone would extoll the "virtues" of this Goat [bleep] and trump the chambering,boolit or placement...let alone anything else?

On the brightside however,it only took 2 day for the Bear to die, only 2 guys had to shoot at it,they only used as a minimum 2 different firearms and when the dust settled...the "VERY large" victim was only 2-inches and change from making The Book.

I'd say that's a rather spot-on summation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
Full confession, here, a couple of years ago I posted a story here of a bear that I shot at with a 357 and never recovered. It was posted as "I f'ked up and I am ashamed" type of story. No white knight am I, fer sure.
Safariman takes a shot at bear in dense cover near dusk, and leaves a wounded bear in the hills over night and then posts a hero story about himself and a rant about how great his cartridge choice is. If there are bragging rights here anywhere, I don't see them.
To my feeble mind, this is a perfect example of the WRONG reason to use large cartridges- It promotes the idea "Well, all I hafta do is get one inum cuz I gotta a 338 Testosteroney Magnum". And that leads to exactly what happened here, a wounded animal left in the hills, one that they just happened to find.
Sorry, I don't rant on here often but the idea of bragging on leaving an animal wounded in the hills all night and then bragging on it bugged me.

Fred

BINGO!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And, by the way, Scenarshooter killed bigger bear, a grizzly, with a smaller cartridge, a 260, and he didn't have to come back in the morning to finish it off. But, then, all evidence points to the fact that he can shoot and knows shot placement.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry, I don't rant on here often but the idea of bragging on leaving an animal wounded in the hills all night and then bragging on it bugged me.

Fred

Cheer up, the tale hasn't shown up in the Free Classifieds .....yet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In my best 'Most Interesting Man in the World' voice.......

"I don't always wear sleeveless t-shirts when ass shooting bears....but when I do a 340 Tyassasore is involved"

BOOM!

Okay, I'll fess. Read the post in big game last night...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Magnum Cartridge, Check
Ass Shot, Check
Long Arm Photo, Check

Where's the SCI hat?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never been bear hunting, when I get the chance to I'll probably carry something big..ya know like an 8x57...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And, by the way, Scenarshooter killed bigger bear, a grizzly, with a smaller cartridge, a 260, and he didn't have to come back in the morning to finish it off. But, then, all evidence points to the fact that he can shoot and knows shot placement.

Safari didn't even finish the job.

Still shaking my head..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
Tough crowd.

Would hate to unleash my "lucky" shirt,bitchin' hair and a Booner.

[Linked Image]

Or muse Booner Rubs.

[Linked Image]

Can see where this could get GOOD!

Bald forehead or not, I think I'd have to shoot that one. It's ears look 3' apart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is exactly the type of story that gives magnums a bad name. Not that I care though as I've never cottoned to them anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only Bear i have killed was a Black Bear in Canada at around 100 yards and it was taken with my 280 AI and the Speer 160 gr Hot Core and it dropped right there . Bullet went in one shoulder and out the other, so don't know retained weight of bullet, but it worked and no other bullet regardless of cal would have done better.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Perfect example of using enough gun when taking out the rear shoulders....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
I would not have tried this shot with a 223, 243, or any other sub 30 caliber bullet

Sounds to me like you need to start carrying one of those, if it will keep you from taking bullchit shots that cause animals to suffer.

Ask yourselves after you look at my photos of this years bear and read my report if you would have made an attempted shot with a rifle that was much less than mine in power and capabilities.

There isn't a rifle on the planet that would have made me take that shot.

What would YOU have wanted in your hands, with the always very real possibility of a less than ideal shot placement? And PA- LEEZE don't pipe up with that "I only take perfect shots" crap. Real hunting in the real woods, for really big and mature animals, does not allow that kind of selectivity.

Real hunters make selective shots, Mark. I'm honestly ashamed that you call yourself a hunter after reading about this encounter and your perspective of it. You should be very disappointed in yourself.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great story bro.

Next time use a real gun none of that 340 pussy [bleep].

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not surprised he feels the way he does..

I'm ashamed of the dumfpucks in the freakshow who are slapping his back.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.