Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bear having to be finished off the next morning is something to be proud of? Only animals that deserve to suffer like that all night are some humans....

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We did, as a group, a fair amount of bear hunting in Maine, bumped into others along the way in NH and Vermont.

The two longest trailing jobs we had were from a 257 Robert with 115 NPT,and a 340 Weatherby with 210 NPT. In neither case was it a problem with the bullets, or the cartridges. In both cases, placement was a bit too far back to be ideal.This was another chapter in the same old lesson that kept repeating itself.

I have seen a pretty fair amount of game killed with magnum cartridges from 30 caliber and "up",and killed them myself. They are capable of producing some very dramatic kills. I have noticed that this occurs only when bullets from them land in the right place.This pretty boring news,but I have found it to be true.

I think it's silly to deliberately use a small cartridge on a large animal to prove a point....I also think it's equally silly to use a big cartridge under the mistaken notion that sheer power will make up for sloppy and indifferent bullet placement. Generally it does't work.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/02/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So Bob are you saying that no matter what the cartridge, short of a 120mm from a M1 tank, that placement matters? I can hear the mob gathering now to string you up!

Good reason to use the B29, bullet just has to be near a game animal to knock it stone cold dead...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Royce
Full confession, here, a couple of years ago I posted a story here of a bear that I shot at with a 357 and never recovered. It was posted as "I f'ked up and I am ashamed" type of story. No white knight am I, fer sure.
Safariman takes a shot at bear in dense cover near dusk, and leaves a wounded bear in the hills over night and then posts a hero story about himself and a rant about how great his cartridge choice is. If there are bragging rights here anywhere, I don't see them.
To my feeble mind, this is a perfect example of the WRONG reason to use large cartridges- It promotes the idea "Well, all I hafta do is get one inum cuz I gotta a 338 Testosteroney Magnum". And that leads to exactly what happened here, a wounded animal left in the hills, one that they just happened to find.
Sorry, I don't rant on here often but the idea of bragging on leaving an animal wounded in the hills all night and then bragging on it bugged me.

Fred

BINGO!

SKane & Royce;
Top of the morning to both of my cyber friends this so far sunny but cool April morning.

While I'm reluctant to comment much further on this matter, I'll only say from a smattering of experience with black bears - I guess I've shot 3 myself and cut and wrapped another 12-15 maybe - that they are both relatively easy to kill if a good bullet is well placed and easy to lose if it's not.

I was pleased to read the bear in the story was found and killed eventually though.

Personally if they do their part I've shot my last black bear as I don't care for them as table fare - again personal taste only.

I pack a bear tag every fall in case one of the locals doesn't understand my position in a debate - if it comes to that. wink

This guy isn't a Boxer sized bear, but he's pretty good by Okanagan standards. I bumped into him in the same spot for 4 years running, but he always showed good manners and left when asked to do so. grin
[Linked Image]

Anyway Scott and Fred, I really just wanted to say hello to you both this morning and that I believe we're on the same page in this instance. Have a good remainder of the week gentlemen.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/02/14. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big cartridges produce this line of thinking. I saw a guy on a PA hunting forum who said he killed his 460 pound bear with a Texas heart shot. He said he knew he could kill it because he used a 375 Weatherby. I think its unethical but thats me.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne
Top of the morning back at ya! Getting the old camper ready for when the weather turns warm to head north, I am getting homesick for Chilko Lake/Bella Coola area. My satellite radio station that plays Bluegrass was broadcasting from near Williams Lake this weekend, and that didn't help.

Fred

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by safariman
During the time I touched off the round and it arrived on site, the bear had moved forward some and I had hit, and busted up, his hips and furthest rearward verterbrae. So, the bear was well anchored, but still needed a finishing shot from Jims gun.

Here's my question: How does a "well-anchored" bear evade detection after leaving a blood trail and being searched for by two different people?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BobinNH
Hope you are having a good year and that you have lots of good hunts planned this year.
Appropriate cartridge, good bullet, correct placement, why make it more complicated than that?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
So Bob are you saying that no matter what the cartridge, short of a 120mm from a M1 tank, that placement matters? I can hear the mob gathering now to string you up!

Yeti: Yup.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
But not on THIS hunt.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
This is good stuff. I'm pretty much sold on .338's and hip shots at this point.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My guess is that the protective barrier of his bus helmet was breached at some point during his childhood.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shooting a bear in the ass is the reasoning behind use enough gun?

When I see guys at the range pull out their 15 pound hunting rigs with 30x scopes and burn 100 grains of powder trying to hit the 300 yard plate with their muzzle brakes, this is how I picture their hunts turning out.

Jesus H. Incredible.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Royce
Sorry, I don't rant on here often but the idea of bragging on leaving an animal wounded in the hills all night and then bragging on it bugged me.

Fred

Cheer up, the tale hasn't shown up in the Free Classifieds .....yet.

Laffin.

It would almost be surreal if it wasn't so predictable.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 04/02/14.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Uncle Jemima?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To whomever queried about the weather, yeah it was sunny and warm. Unseasonably so. Plenty of sweat even with the winch involved.

Plenty proud of my bear and the soon coming rug.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Anyway Scott and Fred, I really just wanted to say hello to you both this morning and that I believe we're on the same page in this instance.
Dwayne

And a pleasant morn' to you too, my friend! I think we're all in agreement that "stuff happens" when hunting. I'm generally not a fan of highlighting/illustrating the bad unless there is opportunity for others to learn from it.

Unfortunately, what's been learned here is the further cementing of the OP's daily self-aggrandizing delusions of not seeing the forest through the trees.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Unfortunately, what's been learned here is the further cementing of the OP's daily self-aggrandizing delusions of not seeing the forest through the trees.

In multiple threads....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy Smokes,
just saw the tale scattered over (oops, I mean ALL over) the forum.

1. Saw a bear at a friends spot.
2. Ass shot bear with uber unit.
3. Phoned a friend.
4. Went home.
5. Came back with another friend.
6. Friend found bear.
7. Friend killed bear.
8. Friend took hero shots of me.
9. Friend hauled bear.
10. Friend gutted bear.
11. Friend skinned bear.
12. I wrote up multiple entries on internet forums of my awesomeness.
13. I was voted a badass mutherphoucer......

by me.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You didn't even mention my skookum dew rag pic!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.