Sometimes it can be more fun than just about anything.

Puddles and pedestrians especially. I took pity on one yesterday. I stopped and waited for the oncoming traffic to clear and then went around. Poor woman saw me coming and just knew she was going to get douched down with the icy muddy water and there was no place to run.

Back when I was driving dump trucks a lot I was headed home one evening in the rain on a long shallow upgrade. Four-six foot snowbank on the right, three-four inch river running down the rut under my duals. Here comes a fat kid about junior high age mincing along the drier track between the river and the snow. About the time he spies me throwing a sheet of water over the snowbank that a fire captain would be proud of, he looks at the oncoming lane and realizes he can't run there because the traffic will get him. I think about the funniest thing I ever saw in my whole life was panic dance he did. First he thinks to bolt across the road. Then he turns and tries to scramble over the snow bank, but he's too fat and clumsy to make it over. Then he thinks to try to turn around and run for it, but he's too slow and he knows it. My helper sitting next to me is pissing himself between laughing and cringing and calling me bad names.

I felt kind of bad for him as I watched in the mirror, but hitting the brakes in rush hour traffic on the highway just wasn't an option. I slowed down, but I am not so sure that didn't make it worse.

That's one of my happiest springtime memories.