Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Remember that old TV series?
"remember, never ever spoil your bird dog" I recently got a copy of Dez Young's book, really enjoyable reading.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the very few hunting shows I liked. Just bird hunting, a dog and his master hunting as a team because they both liked it that way. Too many times I've seen dogs commanded like machines rather than the dog and master working together and making the most of each others abilities.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kid0917
Remember that old TV series?
"remember, never ever spoil your bird dog" I recently got a copy of Dez Young's book, really enjoyable reading.

Never ever spoil your bird dog....

Really?
Guess me and the wife have screwed up- our Lab sleeps in our bed, eats pieces of Oreo cookie, drinks out of the toilet,

and when it's time to go hunting, hunts her tail off for me.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nahhhh...didn't like the show. whistle

A couple of Hank's shirt-tail relatives I hunted behind. wink

My late Little Gus...he died far too young.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The late Ms. Scarlet. She was a wonder dog and eye candy.She was never spoiled. She had to sleep on her side of the bed. grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/MVC-005S-3-1.jpg[/img]

Rocky and Cookie relaxing after the long chuckar season.

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/DOGSLIFE003.jpg[/img]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What ever happened to the show it was one of my favorite hunting shows no bullchit, just a man , a good dog and a nice SXS shotgun?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After Hank died it became Dez & Dash and featured Hank's son. It never caught on like the original show, but it was a good and Classy show, just like the first one.

I miss it, too.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I always liked "Huntin with Hank". Just a good, wholesome show without a bunch of hype. My wife and I still use that line, "never spoil your bird dog". just before we do.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I loved that show too. Now all the hunting shows are about rockin roller bow hunters. They don't come close to Hunting with Hank!

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I used to imitate "In the uplands......... of North America.... " then my wife would croon "you can always.. breathe free! " I think I will re-read the book again soon.

I remember one episode wher it showed them hunting through and around Scotch thistle, a major invasive weed in many western states. I emailed him about maybe doing a short on how to help prevent spread of noxious weeds. He replied with an interest, not sure a show ever hatched from the idea but at least he was kind enough to respond to my emails.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I loved that show too. Now all the hunting shows are about rockin roller bow hunters. They don't come close to Hunting with Hank!

Most of the shows now offend the senses with their "music" and Bubbah back slapping and war hoops.

Hunting shows these days are all about a need to KILL the biggest and best trophies at all cost. Money has ruined our sport, IMO.

IC B3

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, I can't stand the blaring acid rock that is played so loud you can't hear the human noise.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I liked Hank but I never cared for his OCD "master." I'll bet you couldn't stick a broom straw up his butt with a KY booster, not that I'm interested.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I agree with most of you, I loved Hunting With Hank! Now I have four English Setters myself. I spoil them every chance I get. Mike C

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed "Hunting with Hank".

Another I really liked was "Fishing the West" with Larry Shoenborn. That was a classy show. He was kinda nerdy but had a nice show.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I liked Hank but I never cared for his OCD "master." I'll bet you couldn't stick a broom straw up his butt with a KY booster, not that I'm interested.
You nailed that one! I guided Dez and Hank on a wild chukar hunt for the show. Hank was a nice dog and really well trained; Dez was a bit of a pain. He filmed most of his episodes at the time on canned birds, so he could set up the scenes. The wild chukars didn't want to play by his rules so he was rather irritated. The first covey that I put them into,he shot a bird then proceeded to set up the cameras and put Hank on point over and over to film it for footage. He even had the camera guys throwing the bird so he could shoot at it. The whole time he was going thru the routine, every other covey was climbing out of the canyon. I took them to another spot to find some fresh birds, but the camera man couldn't make the climb to the birds so myself and the guest on that particular show had to climb up above them and try to push them back down to the cameras. By the end of the day, Dez had to pack poor Hank back to the truck because he was just about ready to have a heat stroke. He pushed that dog way to hard to get some film footage, I didn't have much respect for him(Dez) after that.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
L2S, some sharp dog photos there.. Liked the show, but was never an avid fan of any outdoor show..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hank was a beautiful setter and when I finished watching the shows I would always say he DESERVED a better master.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dukxdog
I enjoyed "Hunting with Hank".

Another I really liked was "Fishing the West" with Larry Shoenborn. That was a classy show. He was kinda nerdy but had a nice show.

YES!

I still have many of his shows I taped over the years. He was low-key and honest in his approach. "Nice one, Lar" grin

"Hank was a beautiful setter and when I finished watching the shows I would always say he DESERVED a better master."

Agreed, and setters will go until they drop for their human; it's just their nature to want to please at any cost.

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/10/14.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was a fan of the show.I met dez and Hank at an ISC show in SLC, Hank laid there amoung 100's of people filing by like he hadnt a care in the world..

I BS'd with Dez for a bit, seemed like a genuine guy.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Watching that show is how i found The sharptail guide I hunted with in Chinook MT. Damn good guide and good fella. Shot lots of Huns and Sharptails in that area years back.Hank was a fine ole dog!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Direct TV has a program on 604 that has them hunting with shotguns and bird dogs.It is a gentleman from WA or OR I believe.
Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
778 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 89 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.