Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've used trilene for a loooooooong time but I see all the new types of line out there ,usually fishing 4.6 and 8 lb test looking for better strength abrasion resistance and low memory with good knot strength ,what are your recommendations and why ?

GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also used Trilene for many years. A couple of years ago, I tried Suffix Elite monofilament and I like it better than Trilene. It appears to be more durable, lower memory, and it has a nice slick feel to it. I have primarily used it for crappie fishing. I really like their hi-vis yellow line for crappie fishing. I am switching my bass reels over to Suffix Elite.

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Jim ,I just may try that line

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you aren't against braided lines I like Fireline in #10 test ( #3 diameter) It has virtually no memory and zero stretch, allowing you to set the hooks on bigger feesh with ultralight tackle�

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using P-Line CX alot, low memory, very strong, 6# seems to not break off near what 6 mono does, more like 8-10. Sensitive, sinks, little stretch, so line stays tight before and during hook set.

Lately playing with braid on spinning, using 15# Spiderwire EZ braid on UL (though will run 10 in future and this just overpowers rod and strength to bend and free a hook that is hung up. 20# Power pro on larger reels. So far same properties as Flourocarbon above, though hear braid may be more prone to abrasion. Time will tell, but leaving mono perhaps for good for most purposes......other than if running topwater and wanting line to float more...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 6lbs Stren Magnathin a lot, with very good results.

Last edited by Big Sky; 04/06/14.

Is it Friday yet?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just spooled up some 8# P-Line flouro carbon and spent part of the day throwing jerk baits with it. Expected it to be "springy" and fly off the spinning reel but it laid down flat on retrieves and was very well behaved.Like most all P-Line's it seems like pretty tough stuff.

In braided lines I am very fond of Suffix Braid and use it quite a bit on both spinning and bait cast gear,10#-30 pound test.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hey guys suggest away that why I posted it ,ingwe you apparently like the braid ,does it have good knot strength ?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, and everyone maintains that you have to use some special knots with it, but Ive found a regular clinch knot or Palomar work just fine. The other reason I like it is we a do a lot of creek fishing for trout,ultralight, and a lot of hanging our lures up in the brush. as often as not you can straighten the hooks out on the little lures before the line breaks, saving a ton of lure money in the long run�.

Often fishing cover like this, for fish like this�

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have used Power Pro for the past 4 yrs -same line. I was told by a tourney angler that you can turn the line around - end for end and use it for another several yrs, which greatly reduces the price. PowerPro has a new line PP slick? that I will try this spring. Braids aren't the best for ice fishing, though. They tend to pick up water and freeze straight. . which can become a good marker for depth or a pain. You will enjoy the sensitivity of braids.

Flourocarbon could be good line, but really does require special knots. I just use it for leader material.

Good fishing!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by forpest
Have used Power Pro for the past 4 yrs -same line. I was told by a tourney angler that you can turn the line around - end for end and use it for another several yrs, which greatly reduces the price. PowerPro has a new line PP slick? that I will try this spring. Braids aren't the best for ice fishing, though. They tend to pick up water and freeze straight. . which can become a good marker for depth or a pain. You will enjoy the sensitivity of braids.

Flourocarbon could be good line, but really does require special knots. I just use it for leader material.

Good fishing!

Is it so expensive that this technique is worth it?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit is funny!

Braid has NO equal. That being said,it's easy to stoke a reel with a braid,that'll get a rod in trouble.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes Factories make it right. 30# PP on a 4-8# UL,is one of my favorite meldings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though I'm not talkin' about catching schit that'd pass for bait,if only to be clear.(grin)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_9565.jpg[/img]

Line is cheap...but I still up-end the spool,because the bottom is still brand new and never gets used. Some spool mono first as a backing,then tie braid to it. I much prefer braid start to finish

Flourocarbon sucks ass and cain't take a lick,but again...I'm not [bleep] around with bait-sized "victims" where nothing matters.

Yarding schit out of cover,is how the game is played and it's all about abrasion resistance,cast distance and rugged reliability.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110423-DAD_3727.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110423-DAD_3749.jpg[/img]

Chameleon still remains head and shoulders above the rest,as leader material.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Great pictures.... That is beautiful country. I have been converting reels to braid this season though what I'm catching you would call bait so going with 10# test on my UL spinning reels.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I run Power Pro braid on my rods. 40# and I typically fish small mouth, northern, walleye and this year some salmon in Sturgeon Bay.

I like the fact I can horse the line for when things go bad.

Me

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with forpest. There are two applications where I don't like braid, icefishing and trolling with downriggers. The only reason I don't like it for trolling is that it wears a grove in the release pad. If you used another type of release, such as the Chamberlain, you'd be fine. Other than that, I use braid 90% of the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boxer
This schit is funny!

Braid has NO equal. That being said,it's easy to stoke a reel with a braid,that'll get a rod in trouble.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes Factories make it right. 30# PP on a 4-8# UL,is one of my favorite meldings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though I'm not talkin' about catching schit that'd pass for bait,if only to be clear.(grin)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_9565.jpg[/img]

Line is cheap...but I still up-end the spool,because the bottom is still brand new and never gets used. Some spool mono first as a backing,then tie braid to it. I much prefer braid start to finish

Flourocarbon sucks ass and cain't take a lick,but again...I'm not [bleep] around with bait-sized "victims" where nothing matters.

Yarding schit out of cover,is how the game is played and it's all about abrasion resistance,cast distance and rugged reliability.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110423-DAD_3727.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110423-DAD_3749.jpg[/img]

Chameleon still remains head and shoulders above the rest,as leader material.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

Stick - did Loomis go good on that rod? Current set up is Croix, which I love but thinking I need a baitcaster and maybe a dedicated trolling rod - willing to look away from Croix.

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Braid shines brightly,on a downrigger and nothing else can begin to hang with it,in said application. I was looking for pics,but cain't find 'em.(grin)

In extreme cold,Braid does no favors,especially on the modest eyes found upon a typical Casting(Drift Fishing) rod. I seldom have to contend such temps,so it's close to moot...though I do have extry spools in tow and have seen me slum mono in a pinch(though begrudgingly). Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Most of my pursuits in my arid locale,are in scorching temps anyhow.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'Croix makes some nice stuff. Their Warranty isn't Loomis-esque(40 clams to get through the door,as opposed to 20 for Loomis),but they seem to take care. Loomis replaced the above rod,no questions asked and if they wouldn't have...I'd still be money wayyyyyyy ahead of the equation,as I flogged on it purty good(though I prefer the GL3 version of the 1141-S,by a goodly margin).

'Croix action photo,post blank explosion and amidst trying to save face,by hand mucking the victim in for posterity pics. Funny schit! 40 clams and they made good.

[Linked Image]

'Nother.

[Linked Image]

Happiness is singin' braid,a screamin' drag and a blank on the verge of explosion...with pizzed off Chrome taking exception to the works.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/850/9yel.jpg[/img]

It's rough.(grin)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/2R8G3427_zpsbb1592bf.jpg[/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to hear about Loomis - never looked at them much and being in WI - when people start talking the higher end rods, it always seems to be Croix - local and all.

I think everyone who really enjoys fishing and not just wasting an afternoon on the bank with a 6'r deserves and should try a really great rod.

I got my walleye rod when Sportsman's was closing. IIRC the list on it was about 3 bills and I managed to hold out and get them down to 75 bucks on the rod. Was a big change going from the usual Ugly Stick to something like that. Amazing sensitivity and I ain't broke it yet....

Hear you on the ice in the eyes with braid - only really have that issue with ice-out walleye on the river and even that's only a couple weeks. I just deal with it. I'll never go back to "regular" line as far as I can see.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any thoughts on original Power Pro versus the newer Super 8 Slick version? I've used both and switched over to the Super 8 Slick on reels that my son and I use for steelhead. After using the newer version on a few trips, I started to miss the tried-and-true Power Pro original.

I think I fell into the mindset of "...well, if it's a newer and more expensive version of Power Pro, it must be better...." The next time I change the line, I think I'll be switching back to the original.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What line is that YELLOW line Boxer?

Do you slung the Montucky for Nasties? 223 Amax Clown handle?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
201 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.