R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe
No. 175 gr NPTs and of course, a few 175 gr round nose solids grin

In case the odd elephant rolls around. whistle

And no, I don't mean odd as in Weird Uncle Harold.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Naw,he used the solids for jackals. Something about a frontal brain shot at 5 paces.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Naw,he used the solids for jackals. Something about a frontal brain shot at 5 paces.

Sounds like my pig hunting range.

And no, I don't want a .223 or another .260.

Ok, maybe another .260, but a XWR in either 7x57 or .275 Rigby first...with built in pinky rest, of course.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So,as you're shooting a hog,you stick your pinky in the air. Dude that's so Ingwe-ish and I thought you were a regular fella. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

7x57�a proper varmint rifle�

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Agreed Ingwe wink

7mm Mauser using a 175 gr Rem PSP.

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rigby was a British ferm and they couldn't use an enemy chambering thus the rename. 257 Rigby. Don't know about the dimensions but always thought they were one in the same.but may be slightly different.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 7x57, 7mm Mauser and .275 Rigby are the same cartridge. Mine have either been made by Winchester or John Rigby & Son in Pall Mall London.

Sometimes the British made subtle load or bullet weight differences and changed the names and yes, military names are not always as marketable as proprietary names.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
7x57�a proper varmint rifle�

[Linked Image]

Hey Ingwe, I think I saw a picture of your dad holding a pike on another thread. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Y'all have some tough critters out west: 7x57 required for coyotes and jack-rabbits.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Sometimes the British made subtle load or bullet weight differences and changed the names and yes, military names are not always as marketable as proprietary names.

Isn't it interesting how psychology often comes into play in determining the success or failure of a perfectly good product.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Y'all have some tough critters out west: 7x57 required for coyotes and jack-rabbits.

Needed no...de rigueur, yes.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Isn't it interesting how psychology often comes into play in determining the success or failure of a perfectly good product.

A change in nomenclature is generally to skirt some rule, law, or copyright.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good point.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's the minimum for jackrabbits.Don't have pics of it,but I used a .375 H&H and .416 Rigby for rabbits also. wink grin smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

But you can kill the deer out here with a .223 grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the minimum for jackrabbits.Don't have pics of it,but I used a .375 H&H and .416 Rigby for rabbits also. wink grin smile

FWIW, I can vouch for the effectiveness of the 416Rigby on our nasty tempered and aggressive Sabre Toothed Ground Squirrels. I have turned back many a fearsome charge from these horrible man eaters with a blow from a 400gr Monolithic HP bullet travelling at 2,650fps. I am quite certain that if I had been packing a mere plastic stocked push feed 30/06, I would not be alive right now to tell the tale. If you come out this way to hunt what some call mere varmints, use enough gun.

Last edited by safariman; 04/06/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
FWIW, I can vouch for the effectiveness of the 416Rigby on our nasty tempered and aggressive Sabre Toothed Ground Squirrels. I have turned back many a fearsome charge from these horrible man eaters with a blow from a 400gr Monolithic HP bullet travelling at 2,650fps. I am quite certain that if I had been packing a mere plastic stocked push feed 30/06, I would not be alive right now to tell the tale. If you come out this way to hunt what some call mere varmints, use enough gun.
Did you have to have someone come finish the job for you?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hey ingwe, did you ever get Depends to make their product in leopard print? We know you always plan ahead on matters of such importance...............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Hey ingwe, did you ever get Depends to make their product in leopard print? We know you always plan ahead on matters of such importance...............

Oh-ho, I bet that would be a hit with the old ducks at the retirement home!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.