Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

If my 308 with the Lilja contour ever gets finished we'll be able to compare that weight. He's supposed to weigh the take-off and the new chambered/threaded barrel for comparison.

Darrik, looking forward to that info!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For the cartridges I like, 308 & 338 Fed, I don't mind taking off as much weight as possible. If I could take a few ounces off the center of my 84M Montana (mag, bolt, trigger guard) and then put it on the end of the barrel that would be a win-win.

U
OP Offline
U
LOL
Not sure what I started on here, but again thanks for tarring it apart and rebuilding it!
This started with one gun and four possible calibers. I now have a grocery list on here from reloading supply's to enough rifles for an army. I am not a loony gun nut. I have a dozen rifles.

I will be giving the Ascent a try without a doubt. I know this angers some, but if one wants a Montana I say buy it, I want an Ascent. I don't need one, but I want to try one. For me if a guy wants a corvette and the salesman tries to sell him a Camaro because he likes them, that really bugs me. As hunting is my passion, I take it seriously when it comes to gear. The price is not a huge factor. I have that much into each of my archery rigs.

Lightweight guns are not for everybody. As I said before I may or may not like the gun, it might not be good for a remote hunt, but I won't know till I try it. I do know that I can handle a light weight gun very well and accurately and I enjoy them.

Caliber: I do not need a bullet any larger than 150gr as I have a small cannon already (300wsm in Browning TI). I am leaning towards the 270. Factory loads from 110-150 should do the trick. For me I like to get close to the game or it is not what I would call hunting. Most shots are 200yds and under. I do not need to shoot across a canyon. Jack O'Connor did alright with this caliber and it is 2nd in popularity ( 2nd most ammo sold) to the 30-06 if I'm not mistaken!!!

Weight: My first elk hunt was with archery in the wilderness. I packed in 62lbs with a smile on my face for 4.5 miles the crows path, probably 6.5 with the switchbacks. Elevation starting point was 8000, basecamp was 11500. My pack weighed 62lbs. I weighed 175 before the 8 day hunt and was in great shape. I needed a new belt when I got back. My addiction brought me back the next year but my pack weighed 38lbs. While I can and did carry many heavy loads , I just choose not to do that unless it is MEAT. I weigh everything in my pack and scrutinize my gear.

I'm not going to say who or what people do and don't belong on a mountain but, to say that one should not be on the mountain if someone has to consider 4 OZ is a stupid remark. I would gladly take a 10 lb rifle if that's all I had, and I would do it with a smile. I would not even notice a 4 OZ difference of weight. Once again I would like to give this gun a try.

It may not be legal to transport ammo inside the case with your rifle in every state. not sure of the law on that part. I am aware there are ways around losing the ammo, like sending an extra box of ammo to the area you will hunt. I would even have a spare rifle. but that's not the point. I'm looking at the overall access to ammo available and bullet weights. I'm not against reloading but with todays ammunition available it is not a huge deal.

I hope my hunting in the Sheep Unlimited Units are not going to be just an armed nature walk, but either way it will be amazing just to be there with a light weight rifle in hand and enjoying the views.

Thanks to all

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhunter

Weight: My first elk hunt was with archery in the wilderness. I packed in 62lbs with a smile on my face for 4.5 miles the crows path, probably 6.5 with the switchbacks. Elevation starting point was 8000, basecamp was 11500. My pack weighed 62lbs.

Yeah, I know nothing about mountain hunting living Montana... the photo below is 110lbs of elk and bone packed out on a solo Backpack trip in 2012 at age 51, and farther that 4.5 miles... 270 MT BTW.

Lecturing someone who has backpacked and climbed their entire life is, well, amusing...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
U
OP Offline
U
I was not lecturing or bragging about anything as you seem to keep doing. I never once said you know nothing about hunting, only reading. This was a fun thread up till now.

You obviously cant read, the thread was started about the Kimber Ascent and four different calibers!

Probably a ranch hunter anyways. You can go find another thread for your two cents and arrogance!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was not lecturing

Uh, yeah you were.

I shared an opinion. Most of which I clearly stated was for me alone.

Speaking of an inability to comprehend the written word... I have a mirror for you.

Ranch Hunter... too funny. Try solo, wilderness area backcoutnry hunts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want an Ascent. I don't need one, but I want to try one.

That's all that counts.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the sheep hunters, they think it's so tough. The average Montana Wilderness Area elk hunt is far tougher, navigating snow covered blow-downs and 35* - 55* slopes with a heavy pack. I've spent more than a fair share of time in "sheep country" (and higher) and I'll take public land, wilderness sheep hunting any day over public land, wilderness elk hunting for difficulty (They're both demanding).

Getting out of the timber makes most things far simpler. Despite the rantings of the he-men, if you have a modicum of climbing ability, it's easier to be above timberline on a sheep hunt than similarly constructed timberland.

Here' a little coulier I climbed up on a recent highcountry backpack... tent is just visible below at the lake. I'll take this over navigating similar timbered slopes any day...

[Linked Image]

Some sheep at the top of the coulier...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely "ranch" country...

[Linked Image]

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
UpHunter,

If you have already decided on the rifle and are worried about every ounce then why would you pick a long action. You have only one choice and it is the 308. The other calibers are 8 oz heavier. Not sure why you are asking your original question if weight is your deciding factor. Their is a lot of experienced hunters on here that are offering good advice.

If price is no object then build a custom rifle off of a pierce Ti action and get exactly what you want.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ejo
Not sure why you are asking your original question if weight is your deciding factor. Their is a lot of experienced hunters on here that are offering good advice.

He wants everyone here to tell him what he wants to hear apparently.

But hell, I've only had 16 Kimber Montana's and had a tiny hand in their design refinements with the former Chief Design Engineer at Kimber, who is a friend... but I'm a flatlander, so what do I know?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This was a classic example of a "I've already made up my mind, but I'm going to ask anyway" post. These occur frequently on the 'Fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm quite happy with my Kimber 8400 Montana in 300WSM. It's 7lbs with Talley rings and a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. I don't want any less weight on that rifle as the recoil is quite enough when doing load development or sight in. It's not really that bad in the field.

When I bought it, I really wanted the 84L Montana in 30-06. However they were brand new and not yet available in Canada. Besides, at $1050, how could I leave a new Montana on the shelf?

I have thought about going to the 84L 30-06, but realize I wouldn't be gaining a lot (9oz in weight loss), I'd be dropping down in power and trajectory (not a big deal) and the recoil would be very similar because of the lighter weight of the 84L. If I need less recoil, I can load the 300WSM with lighter bullets or slow it down. With the 30-06, I would be tempted to load it to the gills. So recoils would likely be very similar between the two rifles. Besides the 300WSM has proven to be very accurate,

[Linked Image]

So in my opinion, the Montana is about perfect for ME. The Ascent is way too expensive for ME as I am happy with the Montana. I would be buying features I don't need or want or appreciate. IMO it is like the guy who buys a new truck every year because the new one has more horsepower or navigation. I'm the guy who drives a vehicle until it no longer works for me. I don't need the newest of the new.

For the OP, he wants an Ascent and I think he is on the right track going for a 270 or a 308.

Brad, I envy your ability to get back there and hunt at your age. I'm just turning 50 and due to a back injury that has left my left leg gimpy, I can't do that. I'm not sure I ever could or was ambitious enough to do it. My hats off to you! I value your opinion on the Montana.

Personally I'm lusting after the 25-06 84L Montana just because I want one. I would also like a 308 84M Montana also some day. If I'm smart, I just keep my current 25-06s and get the 308.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beats me as to why ANYBODY would ask other people what rifle, scope, or caliber I should buy.

And then some of the answers are just as far out as the question.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
This was a classic example of a "I've already made up my mind, but I'm going to ask anyway" post. These occur frequently on the 'Fire.

He wanted to hear a bunch of people respond to his thread and confirm that his idea is absolutely 100% right. Instead those that have more experience than he are telling him he's wrong and it bothers him even though he knows they are right, hence, the "ranch hunter" dig.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bellydeep

He wanted to hear a bunch of people respond to his thread and confirm that his idea is absolutely 100% right. Instead those that have more experience than he are telling him he's wrong and it bothers him even though he knows they are right, hence, the "ranch hunter" dig.

Dead on assessment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My thoughts are I'd buy the Montana or the Ascent depending which way the wind blows...on the short list would be the 270 or 280AI, no concerns which one.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by rifleman700

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain. 1 day is not 10 days and every oz. does matter. Getting out of your pickup and climbing up the hill for a day is not a real high mountain hunt. A true high alpine hunt requires specialized equipment to be successful. My equipment and rifles differ depending on what and where I am hunting. My AZ elk rifle can be a little heavier because the physical requirements are not as demanding as my Utah mountain goat rifle. Spend some TIME on the mountain and then ask yourself if ozs. matter.

4 ounces doesn't matter.

And I've spent plenty of time in the mountains.

A little sensitive about the weight comment?? It was not directed at anyone in particular. If you had read the entire paragraph the point was that ozs. add up. 4 ozs - no big deal but when you start compromising, ozs. turn into pounds real quick. I noticed in Brad's pictures he was using what looks like a Montana. What was the reasoning there - weight??? If not then why wasn't he carrying a sendero? That is the only point I was making.

And to all, if uphunter does not take your advice who gives a rats ***? All of your comments and suggestions may help someone else.

Great discussion. I really like the pics!!

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks rifleman

There seems to be one thing that is certain, that the Kimber M is popular, comparable in weight and accurate. I never once denied that.
I was simply looking at purchasing the Ascent. and its four offerings. I would like to try it with and without the break, and I happen to like the engineering of the rifle. It may or may not work out and I'm willing to fork out the extra bucks to try it. A rifle is an investment and most do not lose money when well taken care of. If it does not work out with this gun, I will definitely be buying a Kimber M.

I agree that there is a lot of great info on here and I learned much. also thanked everyone no less than two times on here. I made a statement about someone's disrespectful remark... we are all hunters on here... I don't think it appropriate to be bashing one another. while Brad made a statement about the weight, I threw a rock back at him to make a point...he also took it as disrespectful. looks like a lot of resentment from the people in MT... just saying, we are all hunters.
I know any of these rifles will be great, I simply wanted experience as I only have 2 out of 4 calibers. my original question was for accuracy and handling as some calibers can be a little fussy.

Thanks again

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain. 1 day is not 10 days and every oz. does matter. Getting out of your pickup and climbing up the hill for a day is not a real high mountain hunt. A true high alpine hunt requires specialized equipment to be successful. My equipment and rifles differ depending on what and where I am hunting. My AZ elk rifle can be a little heavier because the physical requirements are not as demanding as my Utah mountain goat rifle. Spend some TIME on the mountain and then ask yourself if ozs. matter.

4 ounces doesn't matter.

And I've spent plenty of time in the mountains.

A little sensitive about the weight comment?? It was not directed at anyone in particular. If you had read the entire paragraph the point was that ozs. add up. 4 ozs - no big deal but when you start compromising, ozs. turn into pounds real quick. I noticed in Brad's pictures he was using what looks like a Montana. What was the reasoning there - weight??? If not then why wasn't he carrying a sendero? That is the only point I was making.

And to all, if uphunter does not take your advice who gives a rats ***? All of your comments and suggestions may help someone else.

Great discussion. I really like the pics!!

I'm not sensitive about the comment.

I'm telling you that you are completely full of schit.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.