Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G'day folks, I've manage to track down a 375hh Ruger No1 Tropical. She's an 85 model going by the serial number, it has a few small bumps and some light wear here and there, more from a gun that's been used rather than abused. It should make a nice partner to my No1-S 45-70.

I'll pick it up in about 2 weeks but in the meantime here's a pic.

Cheers, Scott.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by obewan; 04/06/14.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Very nice looking gun. My son and I both used Ruger no.1 H, 375 H&H mags on our dangerous game hunt to Zimbabwe, in August of 2011. The guns performed great. Helluva gun and helluva caliber. Congrats.

maddog

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A really, REALLY nice lookin' rifle !~!~!

While deer don't run very far (if at all) when shot with a .375 H&H cartridge, it's certainly "over-kill" for deer unless you have an "iron" shoulder and do a lot of elk and/or moose hunting with griz-bears thrown in for good measure.

That said,I have to admit I used a .338 Win. Mag. on deer (as well as other big game) for a good many years, but always thought the .375 H&H was a heck-of-a fine cartridge and a sure candidate for the fabled "best all-around big game round". smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G'day folks, no bear, moose, elk or whitetail in my neck of the woods. ;-)

This will be a pig, Sambar deer, scrub bull and buffalo gun. ;-)

Cheers, Scott

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Opppppppssss... sorry, mate...

I was so focused on looking at your fine looking .375 that I didn't notice you were an Aussie. grin

IC B2

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Opppppppssss... sorry, mate...

I was so focused on looking at your fine looking .375 that I didn't notice you were an Aussie. grin

Hahaha, that's ok mate, I get distracted by nice guns too. wink

Cheers, Scott.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for being so understanding, Scott...! grin

Your Sarbar deer are easily as large as our American elk... and the .375 Holland & Holland is a wonderful elk cartridge, so it seems that you've chosen a perfect caliber which should easily handle the largest Sanbar deer as well as the often even larger feral/wild water buffalo which I understand can weigh 1500 pounds or more.

That's a lot of muscle, bone & gristle to penetrate in order to get into the buffalo's vitals with a killing shot, but your .375 H&H should handle that chore with relative ease as well. I also understand those "buffs" can get a bit "difficult & cross" at times, too, eh? Yep... they can be a nasty bunch, that "mob" with a bad temper and horns up to 10 feet across!~!~!

I wish you and your cobbers good luck, good hunting & straight shooting, mate... ! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats Obewan! Nice rifle.

I've been using a .375 Number One for a few years now as a bear rifle here in the Pacific Northwest. It's accurate, and easy to carry. I thoroughly enjoy hunting with it, handloading for it, as well as shooting it at the range!

Congrats on a fine rifle.

Regards, Guy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Very nice - I think you will really enjoy that one (I sure do mine).

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Your Sarbar deer are easily as large as our American elk... and the .375 Holland & Holland is a wonderful elk cartridge, so it seems that you've chosen a perfect caliber which should easily handle the largest Sanbar deer as well as the often even larger feral/wild water buffalo which I understand can weigh 1500 pounds or more.

That's a lot of muscle, bone & gristle to penetrate in order to get into the buffalo's vitals with a killing shot, but your .375 H&H should handle that chore with relative ease as well. I also understand those "buffs" can get a bit "difficult & cross" at times, too, eh? Yep... they can be a nasty bunch, that "mob" with a bad temper and horns up to 10 feet across!~!~!

I wish you and your cobbers good luck, good hunting & straight shooting, mate... ! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

wink

Nice job on the Aussie slang there mate, well on your way to becoming an honorary Australian. ;-)

Yeah the Buffs can get nasty so I'm told, haven't had the pleasure of hunting one yet, I'm down the southern end of the continent and those fellas live up "The Top End".

One day......

Thanks for the congrats guys, the count down is on.... More pics when I get it home.

Cheers, Scott.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
top it with a 1-5x leupold in some warne QD rings and you'll be set. Love mine

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phoneman
top it with a 1-5x leupold in some warne QD rings and you'll be set. Love mine

It's actually coming with those exact rings! ;-)

And those little Leupolds do seem custom made for this type of rifle don't they.

Cheers, Scott.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by obewan

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

wink

Nice job on the Aussie slang there mate, well on your way to becoming an honorary Australian. ;-)

Yeah the Buffs can get nasty so I'm told, haven't had the pleasure of hunting one yet, I'm down the southern end of the continent and those fellas live up "The Top End".

One day......

Thanks for the congrats guys, the count down is on.... More pics when I get it home.

Cheers, Scott.

Being an "honorary Australian" would be a great honor, mate! grin

I learned that "Aussie slang" from a cobber (fellow "Yanks": "cobber" means a "mate" or "buddy") of mine during several years of lively "snail-mail" (letters) correspondence many years ago. Somehow, suddenly... Eric's letters stopped and we "lost touch". I've always wondered what happened to him.

I even attempted to telephone him (back in the days when foreign, long-distance calling was very EXPEN$IVE), but never got any further than a local phone operator in his town. I dunno why they couldn't make a phone connection, but it never happened and his letters stopped as well. Apparently, he didn't have a telephone.

I always wondered if he had a fatal accident or illness, but both of us were only in our 30's back then and very healthy... which was 40+ years ago.

He seemed to be a sort of a "rough-and-tumble" kinda guy and gave me the impression that being so was fairly common with a lotta Aussie lads who were "that way"... much like the tough and hard-living men of the USA in the mid-to-late 1800s.

In any event, he caused me to have a great deal of honest respect for the Aussie fellas... and your beautiful "sheila's" ("lovely ladies" to you Yanks who don't know the "Aussie slang") as well!~!~!

I've always very much regretted losing contact with my cobber down there in "Aussieland", we were both very active hunters back then and shared a good many hunting tales in our letters.

Now... almost 50 years later, I still think of Eric in my "quiet times" when I sit by the fire in our family-room's fireplace and stare into the flames... frown

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Obewan - will you be handloading the .375 H&H?

I've found it real easy to load, and surprisingly easy to shoot well.

Using the 260 gr Nosler Accubond on bear, via RL-15.

The 300 gr bullets seem to work real well with H4350.

I borrowed my load data from gunwriter John Barsness. Made for real easy load development.

And yes, that 1.5-5x Leupold is a good match for the rifle!

Guy

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GuyM
Obewan - will you be handloading the .375 H&H?

Guy

Yes indeed I will be. I've had good results with the Barnes TSX projectiles in the past so I'm keen to get some of those loaded for it. In the meantime I've just grabbed a couple of boxes of Federal 270gn Powershok, should be plenty for pigs... ;-)

Cheers, Scott.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats,

Your "H" Tropical with the "C" contour BBL. should feel a little heavier than your Medium Sporter .45-70 Govt. but not nearly as bad as any of the other Tropicals which are "D" contour BBLs and feel like your hauling around an axle with a stock!

My .375 H&H SS/Laminate is totable, while not as light as the Medium Sporters, it is manageable.

Careful!! your starting down the road of the Ruger No.1 fanatic! One, then two, then soon it will be 16.
Best of luck with your new No.1!!

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wish I could get a stainless medium sporter in 375 H&H.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Medium Sporters weigh in around 7.25 LBS. I'll bet that would be a handy set up and kick like mule!!

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Careful!! your starting down the road of the Ruger No.1 fanatic! One, then two, then soon it will be 16.
Best of luck with your new No.1!!

Mitch

Mitch, thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of different weight barrels for the 1-H.

As for becoming a fanatic, well I've been making enquiries about a 9.3x74.... So I see your point! :-)

Cheers, Scott.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Medium Sporters weigh in around 7.25 LBS. I'll bet that would be a handy set up and kick like mule!!

Nah. Wouldnt be that bad. Nowhere near as bad as ruger 45/70 loads

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (280fan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.