Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bigblock455
only a matter of time before swampdouche got in.

I do better by just putting those I can't stand on my ignore list. Works great! smile

Venor ergo sum
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i hadnt a clue we had on on here! Thanks!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have done well with a Knight Wolverine .50 (very similar to the Bighorn). 385 Hornady Great Plains over 100 grains of FFg Triple Seven. My preference is a peep sight. I have killed Elk, deer and antelope. No issues. May sound a little strange but I use Simple Green to clean the barrel, breech plug, and nipple. Works great.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by txhunter58
I have killed 3 elk with the 350 gr Hornady FPBs. This past year shooting them from my T/C rendgade

Glad to hear it. I've got about 75 of them and I want to use them in my new Knight, but haven't seen any "performance reviews". I did sort of kill a doe with one last season, but made a bad hit and after a long chase, had to finish things with a +P hollow point.

Did you recover any? The ones I've dug out of the berm at the range were just the jacket, peeled back very neatly, with no lead; a lot like 405gr. Remington .45/70 slugs I've recovered.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First one I recovered under the far skin after going through the shoulder blade (thin part) and a rib on the near and far side. Had prob 60% of bullet left. Second I did not recover, but it broke the bone just above the elbow (very large bone) and took out the heart. Last one when through the neck and exited.

Venor ergo sum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ought to do for deer & black bear then.

There is an elk season in neighboring Kentucky. Might have to start applying.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Knight sold out and was bought by another company.

Anyway, your thread is named "Best?" and while that triggers a lot of fun conversation, if you are wanting an in line I would point you to a break action first mainly because of maintenance. My bolt action takes a heck of a lot longer to clean over a break action hands down.

The only break actions that Knight makes (that I know of) is the KP1 or the new version KPX. They also came out with a brand new Vision break action, but I don't know if it is stainless, but regardless would be a nice piece. Knight should fit into your price range and have craftsmanship.

CVA Accura V2 on the other hand is a great rifle, however it doesn't come with iron sights, so that would be an add on with you would need to get the barrel tapped and put on a nice set of Williams Ghost Rings. The CVA is a cheaper firearm so that makes up some of the overall price.

A lot of people like T/C, I am not one of those. However, I think T/C has the biggest name so manufactures make anything for them.

Traditions makes a nice rifle called the Vortek, but it doesn't come stainless and seems light to me in the quality craftsmanship.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
not true, the V2 comes fully drilled and tapped for open sights. If you want open sights, truglo makes a great set up as well as the williams peep sight.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You should also check out the Redemption by LHR, the newest firearms company in the market. It has some unique features not found on any other muzzleloader and made in the USA. It is a break open type action and comes with a scope base AND a set of fiber optic sights. Was named "Best Muzzleloader of 2013" by Field and Stream.
F & S Best Muzzleloader

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
dont buy into that. Theres damn little info about the lhr and its not on the top best list.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buy into what? The OP should look at all options and decide for himself.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yes, you guy's are giving me a months worth of research. Good however!! I have the time!!! I do not like the bolt because of the one thing I am looking for is less time cleaning and ease.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
buy any modern inline. brand does no matter. they are all pretty much the same. just like a center fire you have to figure out the best load for each gun.they will all shoot better then 3-4 groups at 100yds if you find the right bullet for that gun. i have a triumph with QLA and another that i cut the QLA off. they both shoot under 2in at 100yds easily.i like the one that i cut more only because its lighter and shorter ,easier to carry.

any top break inline is easier to clean then a bolt gun.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bigblock455
not true, the V2 comes fully drilled and tapped for open sights.

Last time I was looking at one about 2 years ago I'm pretty sure it wasn't tapped, this was at Wal-Mart so I don't know how long they had it. I looked in their new 2014 catalog and it did list something there.

"And every ACCURA V2 model comes with a Quake� Claw� Sling, a DuraSight� DEAD-ONTM one-piece scope mount or DuraSight� fiber optic sights and a PalmSaver solid aluminum ramrod as standard equipment."

Good to know, should be a great addition for the Colorado hunts.

There is one thing I have to say however, when I use 120 grains of BH209 powder in my CVA Elkhorn Pro 50 cal it really doesn't like the stout charge, however my Knight KP1 50 cal handles it handles it no problem using the same load. Barrels slugged only being .0005" difference so apples to apples at least with those two comparing the winner is Knight, accuracy however was dead even, however that was shooting sabots not conical which is needed in Colorado.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
every rifle has its own sweet spot. 120gr bh209 IMO is just nuts and a ton of recoil lol. Generally my cva's will fall into the sweet spot at 90-110 grains bh209. Most of the time, 100gr with a 250gr thor conical.

Th Accura MR " Mountain Rifle does not come with open sights due to the high stock comb being made for a scope but I use the seeall sight on ours for open sight set up.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i hate the looks of those big ol blocky thick mounts on the cva guns. they would have to go if i was shooting one.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
function over looks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One benefit I can see with a separate ring & mount here in Colorado is you could just remove the scope and rings with a quick disconnect set and leave the mount in place for hunting in Colorado. Then be able to re-seat the scope after the hunt for target or center fire seasons. If you just plan on the ML hunt here then just send me the included scope mount for my referral. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
they so fuggly i won't own them.to thick.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I may need a scope at some point. I think I can use one in Wyo for Antelope right. I know I can for Kansas deer.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.