Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#8752821 04/06/14
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Best in line for the money? Any help and no monkey business , I know a few of you!!!! Range is about 600 bucks!!! Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For Colorado, the CVA Accura V2 would be top on my list. Its a great conical shooter and easy to care for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thompson Center Omega

Last edited by krupp; 04/06/14.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
omega is the worse for colorado shooters, tc doesnt even recommend concials in their rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It depends entirely on what the OP wants from the rifle, same as any other.

Traditional? Inline? Flint? Percussion? Rifled? Smooth? Use? Game? Length?

There isn't much to go on except the price range, so "best" is a bad guess at this point.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Uh ... re-read. He said inline.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Uh ... re-read. He said inline.

Tom

I stand corrected.

If one can be found, an older White would be very nice.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
omega is the worse for colorado shooters, tc doesnt even recommend concials in their rifles.

This elk doesn't recommend conicals out of a T/C either. Or the elk before it, or the one before that.

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
sorry but they wont guarantee you anything on conicals and recommend you STICK to sabots. Their QLA is junk.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry, but I'll just keep shooting elk with one of my T/C in-lines that shoots conicals well.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
hows it do with lead conicals?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It does well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
thats what i figured i'd get back laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't shoot copper conicals, so that pretty much leaves lead.

Nothing gets by you.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
sabots are illegal here. I will go pick up a few and discuss some of your comments. Field comments are a good way to feel out for new weapons. I have an old T/C Hawken and I clean it all the time. But one practice round and you better clean her up. Really hates any moisture as well. So, I will up grade and maybe in 10 years know more about shooting the smokepole. Thanks guy's so far!! I like the 50 cal. Anyone have other comments on cal. size. I can't use pellets either, so will my range be about the same 100 yds as it is now. I am guessing I will have less misfires. Well, I am hoping and this is one reason besides cleaning that I want to upgrade.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
50cal for an inline, 45's are illegal for elk/moose in colorado. If its a sidelock, 54cal + shooting round ball works great. I shoot a 58cal hawken for my pleasure.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yeah, I know 50 is the lowest limit here. Was seeing if picking your guy's brain about 54 or 58 if there was something I was missing!! 58 would be a wallop!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd stick with .50, you'll have a much better selection of bullets. The only reason to go larger is to shoot round balls, which are not going to shoot with the twist rates in most in-lines.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sorry, but I'll just keep shooting elk with one of my T/C in-lines that shoots conicals well.

And I think you should! Because you got one that has a QLA cut straight and it shoots conicals well. Heck my brother got one too. However, MY Omega shoots conicals at a 5-8 inch group at 25 yards. Sent it back to T/C and they told me to shoot sabots. They told me there was nothing wrong with my barrel. I tried for 4 years, 3 different powders, wads, and many bullets. The ones that shot 8 inch groups was No Excuse bullets. Those bullets must be junk right?

So be happy you got a good one but be advised that many people have had problems getting conicals to shoot with the QLA that T/C has on all their modern inlines. So if you buy one that doesn't, you are SOL, because if you call them, they will tell you: "We don't guarantee they will shoot conicals"

That said, if you want to only shoot sabots, you can't find a better designed gun! And I killed my elk last year in Colorad with a T/C gun: my 50 cal renegade (no QLA)!

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/07/14.

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by txhunter58
MY Omega shoots conicals at a 5-8 inch group at 25 yards.

Well, you just need to get close, that's what muzzleloader hunting is all about. grin

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
100 yds with open sights and my eyesight i may need something better then 5-8 inch. Off course they are as big as elephants!!!! I am not chasing elk. So I need to be about 3-4 inch group. Is that realistic!! I can shoot a little!!!lol

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
MY Omega shoots conicals at a 5-8 inch group at 25 yards.

Well, you just need to get close, that's what muzzleloader hunting is all about. grin

I can shoot better groups than that with my bow, so if I have to get that close I will take my Switchback! smile

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good choice, you can hunt the whole month!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What part of Colorado you from LoneWati? If you are close to Manitou Springs, check out the mountain man, they stock REAL black powder. If you TC hawken is hang firing, you've most likely been using a sub powder like pyrodex or triple 7. Those powders are harder to set off. Well worth a trip even if its a couple hours away, awesome store!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LoneWati
100 yds with open sights and my eyesight i may need something better then 5-8 inch. Off course they are as big as elephants!!!! I am not chasing elk. So I need to be about 3-4 inch group. Is that realistic!! I can shoot a little!!!lol

When I do my part, I can shoot a 2-3 inch group with open sights at 100 yards with my Knight LRH. My renegade is not far behind.

From what I have heard of them and I was just starting out, I would probably get a CVA Accura. Don't own one though. I have two T/Cs, two knights, and a White.

Venor ergo sum
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Powerbelts are legal in Colorado aren't they? I have an Omega that shoots the 250 AeroLites real well. They load real easier than any other bullet I've ever tried too...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use fffg triple 7 in my renegade and CCI number magnum 11 caps and that eliminated my misfires.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mine shot powerbelts decent as well, but powerbelts are a whole other subject!! Personally would not use aerolites for anything but a target!

But your observation holds water if you already own an Omega. But when you can buy a gun that shoots sabots and a whole slew of conicals including flatbased lead conicals like no excuses well, I would choose the another gun

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good choice, you can hunt the whole month!

If my boss would only let me off that long! Oh wait, I am my own boss. Darn, I am such a slave driver!

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Plus, you have a d^^^ for a boss...... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just avoid anything made in Spain and you'll be safe....literally.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
only a matter of time before swampdouche got in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I sent my T/C barrel out, had the QLA cut off and recrowned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sabots are illegal here. I will go pick up a few and discuss some of your comments. Field comments are a good way to feel out for new weapons. I have an old T/C Hawken and I clean it all the time. But one practice round and you better clean her up. Really hates any moisture as well. So, I will up grade and maybe in 10 years know more about shooting the smokepole. Thanks guy's so far!! I like the 50 cal. Anyone have other comments on cal. size. I can't use pellets either, so will my range be about the same 100 yds as it is now. I am guessing I will have less misfires. Well, I am hoping and this is one reason besides cleaning that I want to upgrade.

Clean the bore to bare metal, use DynaBoreCoat, then use only pure black powder.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would go with a .50 cal and be done with it. Knight is going to be a great choice or a CVA...IMHO...A Break Action design is really easy to maintain over a bolt action, but whatever you choose I would get it in stainless hands down.

For the money, CVA and you would have enough to get many different extras, but a Knight is hard to beat.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before you give up on the Hawken, try a pack of Hornady 350gr. FPBs. They are 50 cal jacketed hollow- based conicals. I have a TC Greyhawk that I couldn't get to group with any combination of powder and bullet. The FPB over 80-100 gr. of 777 with CCI #11 M caps shoots great. You do need to knock out the crud with a dry brush every few shots, but that's no big deal. Not sure if they're legal in CO.

One thing that also helps is the use of a 1/2" i.d. plastic or nylon flange bushing over the muzzle while starting the bullet. It really helps keep things straight. You place the bushing flange-side down on the muzzle and then put the bullet base-first in the bushing. Move the bushing around slightly and the base of the bullet will drop into the muzzle. Give it a push with the short starter and then seat with the ramrod.

My Greyhawk doesn't have QLA. Sounds like that's lucky for me.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/08/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the great advice guy's!!! One thing I did not realize is that Knight was still kicking!! Surprise I guess!!!! Thought they went under!!! Hope one day to post up an animal with a smokepole!!!! Moose and antelope is what I tried for again this year with the muzzy. But hopefully next year it will be for all. I had one real bad experience in losing a monster 11x5 muley @ 10 yds. Bad shot didn't get the hair trigger set. Knocked him flat backwards. Shot just in front of the shoulder, coughing up blood. Thought about just jumping on him and putting the knife to work. He had to much head gear for me to get to close as he was sprawling around. Pre lubed my buffalo bullets and had the shakes pretty bad and dropped them in the sand. Buck finally got up and hit the fence and rolled backwards, then came my way. I had to bail. Got reloaded, waited for my buddy to arrive. The deer left hair and blood on a 3 foot high barbed wire fence where he crossed. Where I first knocked him down there was a 3 foot diameter of blood on the ground. Thought he was mine. He could barely run. 45 minute wait and started looking. Went through some cattails with blood on both sides of the cattails. After that, I know he came up the bank, but then a hail storm hit and lost all sign. spent 3 days looking for him. Coyotes. Magpies, crows whatever I could try and use. Was so disappointed I lost such a magnificent animal. My fault totally and quit hunting with the muzzy even though I know it was not the gun, bullet, powder etc. just a bad shot. 25 years ago and it is still so fresh in my mind. Enough crying, thanks for all your help!!

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

That's funny, I was thinking the same about you, and guess who had the first, and easily anticipated reply, to this post?

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Best in line for the money? Any help and no monkey business , I know a few of you!!!! Range is about 600 bucks!!! Thanks!

Knight makes good ones.

Last edited by JSC; 04/08/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have killed 3 elk with the 350 gr Hornady FPBs. This past year shooting them from my T/C rendgade

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I do better by just putting those I can't stand on my ignore list. Works great! smile

Venor ergo sum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i hadnt a clue we had on on here! Thanks!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have done well with a Knight Wolverine .50 (very similar to the Bighorn). 385 Hornady Great Plains over 100 grains of FFg Triple Seven. My preference is a peep sight. I have killed Elk, deer and antelope. No issues. May sound a little strange but I use Simple Green to clean the barrel, breech plug, and nipple. Works great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have killed 3 elk with the 350 gr Hornady FPBs. This past year shooting them from my T/C rendgade

Glad to hear it. I've got about 75 of them and I want to use them in my new Knight, but haven't seen any "performance reviews". I did sort of kill a doe with one last season, but made a bad hit and after a long chase, had to finish things with a +P hollow point.

Did you recover any? The ones I've dug out of the berm at the range were just the jacket, peeled back very neatly, with no lead; a lot like 405gr. Remington .45/70 slugs I've recovered.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First one I recovered under the far skin after going through the shoulder blade (thin part) and a rib on the near and far side. Had prob 60% of bullet left. Second I did not recover, but it broke the bone just above the elbow (very large bone) and took out the heart. Last one when through the neck and exited.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ought to do for deer & black bear then.

There is an elk season in neighboring Kentucky. Might have to start applying.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Knight sold out and was bought by another company.

Anyway, your thread is named "Best?" and while that triggers a lot of fun conversation, if you are wanting an in line I would point you to a break action first mainly because of maintenance. My bolt action takes a heck of a lot longer to clean over a break action hands down.

The only break actions that Knight makes (that I know of) is the KP1 or the new version KPX. They also came out with a brand new Vision break action, but I don't know if it is stainless, but regardless would be a nice piece. Knight should fit into your price range and have craftsmanship.

CVA Accura V2 on the other hand is a great rifle, however it doesn't come with iron sights, so that would be an add on with you would need to get the barrel tapped and put on a nice set of Williams Ghost Rings. The CVA is a cheaper firearm so that makes up some of the overall price.

A lot of people like T/C, I am not one of those. However, I think T/C has the biggest name so manufactures make anything for them.

Traditions makes a nice rifle called the Vortek, but it doesn't come stainless and seems light to me in the quality craftsmanship.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
not true, the V2 comes fully drilled and tapped for open sights. If you want open sights, truglo makes a great set up as well as the williams peep sight.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You should also check out the Redemption by LHR, the newest firearms company in the market. It has some unique features not found on any other muzzleloader and made in the USA. It is a break open type action and comes with a scope base AND a set of fiber optic sights. Was named "Best Muzzleloader of 2013" by Field and Stream.
F & S Best Muzzleloader

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
dont buy into that. Theres damn little info about the lhr and its not on the top best list.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buy into what? The OP should look at all options and decide for himself.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yes, you guy's are giving me a months worth of research. Good however!! I have the time!!! I do not like the bolt because of the one thing I am looking for is less time cleaning and ease.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
buy any modern inline. brand does no matter. they are all pretty much the same. just like a center fire you have to figure out the best load for each gun.they will all shoot better then 3-4 groups at 100yds if you find the right bullet for that gun. i have a triumph with QLA and another that i cut the QLA off. they both shoot under 2in at 100yds easily.i like the one that i cut more only because its lighter and shorter ,easier to carry.

any top break inline is easier to clean then a bolt gun.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
not true, the V2 comes fully drilled and tapped for open sights.

Last time I was looking at one about 2 years ago I'm pretty sure it wasn't tapped, this was at Wal-Mart so I don't know how long they had it. I looked in their new 2014 catalog and it did list something there.

"And every ACCURA V2 model comes with a Quake� Claw� Sling, a DuraSight� DEAD-ONTM one-piece scope mount or DuraSight� fiber optic sights and a PalmSaver solid aluminum ramrod as standard equipment."

Good to know, should be a great addition for the Colorado hunts.

There is one thing I have to say however, when I use 120 grains of BH209 powder in my CVA Elkhorn Pro 50 cal it really doesn't like the stout charge, however my Knight KP1 50 cal handles it handles it no problem using the same load. Barrels slugged only being .0005" difference so apples to apples at least with those two comparing the winner is Knight, accuracy however was dead even, however that was shooting sabots not conical which is needed in Colorado.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
every rifle has its own sweet spot. 120gr bh209 IMO is just nuts and a ton of recoil lol. Generally my cva's will fall into the sweet spot at 90-110 grains bh209. Most of the time, 100gr with a 250gr thor conical.

Th Accura MR " Mountain Rifle does not come with open sights due to the high stock comb being made for a scope but I use the seeall sight on ours for open sight set up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i hate the looks of those big ol blocky thick mounts on the cva guns. they would have to go if i was shooting one.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
function over looks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One benefit I can see with a separate ring & mount here in Colorado is you could just remove the scope and rings with a quick disconnect set and leave the mount in place for hunting in Colorado. Then be able to re-seat the scope after the hunt for target or center fire seasons. If you just plan on the ML hunt here then just send me the included scope mount for my referral. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they so fuggly i won't own them.to thick.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I may need a scope at some point. I think I can use one in Wyo for Antelope right. I know I can for Kansas deer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by srwshooter
any top break inline is easier to clean then a bolt gun.

Not to mention that any kind of "action" on a muzzleloader is superfluous and wasted space and weight. Lose the "action" and you've got a shorter, better-handling rifle with the same length barrel.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by srwshooter
they so fuggly i won't own them.to thick.

Fuggly needs love too!!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yep exactly what my pappy said about fat chicks, Dont knock it till you've tried it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yep exactly what my pappy said about fat chicks, Dont knock it till you've tried it.

Just as long as you can mount it. wink

Not sure about those states however during the regular center fire hunts here in Colorado you can use a ML with scope and sabots, just can't use them in the ML seasons. I put in for season 3 center fire but so far planning on using my ML with sabots and scope why the kiddies use center fires.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've owned 5-6 of the accura v2 guns. cva told me they came either way. with iron sights or rings and base. i bought 2 new ones from a guy that used to work for cva. it actually said on the sticker on the stock that they were available either way.damn nice guns,but i've been enjoying my cut off carbine(20") triumph so much i sold them both.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks to everyone who gave me a ton of info to go on and research!!!! Should be fun!!!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
A White Super 91 is worth searching for.

Last edited by pacecars; 04/16/14.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,150 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.