Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Just wondering what kind of score a complete newby should expect their first time.
Thanks

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All courses are not the same and some are more new shooter friendly than others. Some have new shooter targets and some do not.

Unless it some type of corporate or charity event, which normally have shooter friendly targets, don't even take a score card. Just shoot for the fun of the game.

What a new shooter can expect to score would be a bad guess at best.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Unless it some type of corporate or charity event, which normally have shooter friendly targets, don't even take a score card. Just shoot for the fun of the game.

There is some sound advice! Don't focus on score, just go have fun. In the end you will have a feel for how you did.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Unless a new shooter is "The Natural", then shooting and learning comes before keeping score. No different than most games of skill in that a lot of practice precedes game time.

Last edited by battue; 04/08/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot with Tom Mack on his first line of sporting clays.......... Just wernt normal

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by willecoyote
Just wondering what kind of score a complete newby should expect their first time.
Thanks

As mentioned by battue, that is a tough question to answer. Depends on so many levels. I've real known good bird hunters walk away shaking their heads and completely disappointed with their performance, to a guy that has never shot a shotgun be absolutely excited with his performance.

If this game is something that you want to do on a regular basis keep your score as a starting point in your progression. If you only plan to shoot sporting clays once a year I would still keep a score just as a comparison for years to come. Or to have a good laugh with friends that you shoot with.

Sporting clays is one of the best games out there that involves a shotgun. The top game in my opinion; FITASC. Which is a much tougher game. Normally longer, faster, & much harder targets.

Here's some tips for you though:
1)Shells, (you will need 5 boxes 125 rounds) 12 gauge #8 shot 1oz or 1-1/8oz light target loads only for your first times out. Then if you want to play the different shell for different target presentation game, go for it. But I'm still a firm believer in keep it simple. Personally I almost never shoot more than a 1oz load.
2)Choke or chokes, Take the most open choke/chokes you have whether you shoot an autoloader or O/U and leave it in for every station. Skeet will kill most bird presentations. For an example my wife & I shoot a lot. I've seen her put in skeet and never remove it even for tough courses. She normally does very well.
3)Watch the targets, But not the whole target! You want to look at the leading edge (or Head) of the bird.
4)Premount shotgun or not, NOT! This isn't national skeet or trap. Premounting the gun for a beginner clays shooter normally means you are aiming and leads to a dead gun. Keep the butt of you gun out of your shoulder until you see the bird. Best is to have it just slightly lower than your normal mount, just a slight movement to to bring to full mount. Then move the barrel towards the target, mount, move through the target (to the leading edge), and fire. Takes a little coordination but it's much better than a dead gun.
5)And the MOST IMPORTANT tip; Know where your shotgun shoots!! Most sporting clays courses have a patterning board. Ask to use it. Stand 15 yards away and fire at a spot on the patterning board. Don't aim, just up and fire at it just like a flushing bird. Then look and pay note to where your shot pattern is hitting in relationship to the spot. Then adjust your barrel orientation so your shot pattern is covering your aiming spot.
6)Score saver: Most presentations are either true pair or report pair. If a true pair (both birds released at the same time)or report pair (second bird released after you fire at the first bird) stay on the first bird you shoot at and shoot again if you miss with the first shot. Think about it...your score is already 50% with the first miss on that pull. Transitioning to the other target means more movement and a higher degree of difficulty. Stay with the first bird and kill it with your second shot.

Foremost....Have FUN!

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for all of the advise. I have to be honest, my son and I shot a local course this weekend. We are novice, at best with shotguns. We rabbit and turkey hunt with them and that's two ends of the spectrum. A good friend also went with us and we just went to have a good time and that, we did. Of course my son (15) wanted to keep score, so we did. We shot from the easier stands at each location. We both used 1 1/8oz #8 and IC chokes, I took other chokes but never changed mainly because I didn't know if I would be changing for better or worse!
He hit 52 and I hit 54 out of 100 and honestly felt pretty good with that (you can stop laughing now!) They warned us that it was addictive and I can see that, when we finished my son wanted to shoot another 50!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The first time I shot Sporting Clays I'd been shooting Trap and Skeet alot, for quite a few years, and was doing pretty good. My first Sporting Clays score was in the 60's! ...on a relatively easy course! Long crossers kill my scores still.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
My son was most disappointed with the fact that he didn't hit a single "rabbit" because when we are rabbit hunting he rarely misses one, I watched him roll one with his 20g 2 years ago that was nothing more than a brown blur streaking through the woods. At $35 a round we won't be doing it every weekend but we will go again.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Wild bill, thanks, that looks like a lot of good information you shared, hopefully we can apply it and improve our score on the next round. I'm trying to fight the urge to go again this weekend.......I have too many expensive hobbies already!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One time after a shoot a guy said; "I've thrown enough money at this game to put a sloth thru Harvard."

Let's see; You like hunting, the outdoors and shooting shotguns. You shot sporting once and are fighting the urge to do it again soon. Hmmmm

My suggestion is to give up the foolish hobbies and dive in. The shooting sports need not only you, but some young blood.

Hint�.Beginning lessons from someone who knows how to teach shotgunning and the tricks of sporting clays is money well spent. wink

Hint2�.Learn to break the easy targets first. Move onto the tough targets later. No sense shooting a target over and over that you can't break relatively consistently. Move up closer if the club allows you to do so. Learn it, then move back in increments.

Hint3�.Don't became a slave to the scorecard until you have acquired most of the fundamentals. If you know how to break most of the presentations, scores will follow.

Rehint�.Lessons are a shortcut.

When you think this is getting low on ammo. You have swallowed the hook�.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

My suggestion is to give up the foolish hobbies and dive in. The shooting sports need not only you, but some young blood.

Problem is, I don't have any foolish hobbies, they all revolve around firearms, fishing poles, hunting and trapping grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot and done very well with sporting clays with 7/8 oz of 8 1/2's out of a skeet choked gun. I will generally score in the low 40's for 50 birds. Don't worry about the longe distance crossers. Always try to take the easier close bird first, no sense on missing a gimme by going after a tough target that you probably won't get anyway.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Problem is, I don't have any foolish hobbies, they all revolve around firearms, fishing poles, hunting and trapping grin

You are doing great, keep up the good work!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 300Savage
I have shot and done very well with sporting clays with 7/8 oz of 8 1/2's out of a skeet choked gun. I will generally score in the low 40's for 50 birds. Don't worry about the longe distance crossers. Always try to take the easier close bird first, no sense on missing a gimme by going after a tough target that you probably won't get anyway.

You may get one with that theory, but two only infrequently.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My son was most disappointed with the fact that he didn't hit a single "rabbit"

Wait until he sees his first battue. cool One of the most frustrating targets thrown. They seem to never fly the same, especially with a breeze. cry
[Linked Image]

He hit 52 and I hit 54 out of 100 and honestly felt pretty good with that (you can stop laughing now!) They warned us that it was addictive and I can see that, when we finished my son wanted to shoot another 50!

Those are scores you should be proud of, certainly not laughing. laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rcamuglia who posts here often and is a known name on the sporting circuit, once said here the Battue was one of his favorite presentations. Especially a pair thrown off a high tower.

Of course he paid his dues, worked at it, and learned how to shoot the hard stuff. Which do make a difference. grin

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375

Those are scores you should be proud of, certainly not laughing. laugh

Thanks wildbill, but we shot from the beginner stands, which looking at the angle differences were, I'm sure, a lot easier and we shot everything on report no true doubles so we cheated a bit. We will probably end up there again this weekend. I was looking at membership and it would pay for itself in 5 visits. Plus they have a nice pistol range that is free to members.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by passport
I shot with Tom Mack on his first line of sporting clays.......... Just wernt normal

Ok, that's a five dollar fine for mentioning that name! Really, Tom is a pretty cool guy. I shoot around him a lot here in Texas now that he moved here(74 Ranch). He definitely has a good time while shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cedarbreaker
Originally Posted by passport

Ok, that's a five dollar fine for mentioning that name! Really, Tom is a pretty cool guy. I shoot around him a lot here in Texas now that he moved here(74 Ranch). He definitely has a good time while shooting.

Tom and his brother Dan are good freinds of mine. Tom has always been a natural at shooting. Tell him John G said hello smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
446 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.