Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
100 yds with open sights and my eyesight i may need something better then 5-8 inch. Off course they are as big as elephants!!!! I am not chasing elk. So I need to be about 3-4 inch group. Is that realistic!! I can shoot a little!!!lol

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by txhunter58
MY Omega shoots conicals at a 5-8 inch group at 25 yards.

Well, you just need to get close, that's what muzzleloader hunting is all about. grin

I can shoot better groups than that with my bow, so if I have to get that close I will take my Switchback! smile

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good choice, you can hunt the whole month!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What part of Colorado you from LoneWati? If you are close to Manitou Springs, check out the mountain man, they stock REAL black powder. If you TC hawken is hang firing, you've most likely been using a sub powder like pyrodex or triple 7. Those powders are harder to set off. Well worth a trip even if its a couple hours away, awesome store!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LoneWati
100 yds with open sights and my eyesight i may need something better then 5-8 inch. Off course they are as big as elephants!!!! I am not chasing elk. So I need to be about 3-4 inch group. Is that realistic!! I can shoot a little!!!lol

When I do my part, I can shoot a 2-3 inch group with open sights at 100 yards with my Knight LRH. My renegade is not far behind.

From what I have heard of them and I was just starting out, I would probably get a CVA Accura. Don't own one though. I have two T/Cs, two knights, and a White.

Venor ergo sum
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Powerbelts are legal in Colorado aren't they? I have an Omega that shoots the 250 AeroLites real well. They load real easier than any other bullet I've ever tried too...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use fffg triple 7 in my renegade and CCI number magnum 11 caps and that eliminated my misfires.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mine shot powerbelts decent as well, but powerbelts are a whole other subject!! Personally would not use aerolites for anything but a target!

But your observation holds water if you already own an Omega. But when you can buy a gun that shoots sabots and a whole slew of conicals including flatbased lead conicals like no excuses well, I would choose the another gun

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Good choice, you can hunt the whole month!

If my boss would only let me off that long! Oh wait, I am my own boss. Darn, I am such a slave driver!

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Plus, you have a d^^^ for a boss...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just avoid anything made in Spain and you'll be safe....literally.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
only a matter of time before swampdouche got in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I sent my T/C barrel out, had the QLA cut off and recrowned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sabots are illegal here. I will go pick up a few and discuss some of your comments. Field comments are a good way to feel out for new weapons. I have an old T/C Hawken and I clean it all the time. But one practice round and you better clean her up. Really hates any moisture as well. So, I will up grade and maybe in 10 years know more about shooting the smokepole. Thanks guy's so far!! I like the 50 cal. Anyone have other comments on cal. size. I can't use pellets either, so will my range be about the same 100 yds as it is now. I am guessing I will have less misfires. Well, I am hoping and this is one reason besides cleaning that I want to upgrade.

Clean the bore to bare metal, use DynaBoreCoat, then use only pure black powder.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would go with a .50 cal and be done with it. Knight is going to be a great choice or a CVA...IMHO...A Break Action design is really easy to maintain over a bolt action, but whatever you choose I would get it in stainless hands down.

For the money, CVA and you would have enough to get many different extras, but a Knight is hard to beat.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before you give up on the Hawken, try a pack of Hornady 350gr. FPBs. They are 50 cal jacketed hollow- based conicals. I have a TC Greyhawk that I couldn't get to group with any combination of powder and bullet. The FPB over 80-100 gr. of 777 with CCI #11 M caps shoots great. You do need to knock out the crud with a dry brush every few shots, but that's no big deal. Not sure if they're legal in CO.

One thing that also helps is the use of a 1/2" i.d. plastic or nylon flange bushing over the muzzle while starting the bullet. It really helps keep things straight. You place the bushing flange-side down on the muzzle and then put the bullet base-first in the bushing. Move the bushing around slightly and the base of the bullet will drop into the muzzle. Give it a push with the short starter and then seat with the ramrod.

My Greyhawk doesn't have QLA. Sounds like that's lucky for me.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/08/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the great advice guy's!!! One thing I did not realize is that Knight was still kicking!! Surprise I guess!!!! Thought they went under!!! Hope one day to post up an animal with a smokepole!!!! Moose and antelope is what I tried for again this year with the muzzy. But hopefully next year it will be for all. I had one real bad experience in losing a monster 11x5 muley @ 10 yds. Bad shot didn't get the hair trigger set. Knocked him flat backwards. Shot just in front of the shoulder, coughing up blood. Thought about just jumping on him and putting the knife to work. He had to much head gear for me to get to close as he was sprawling around. Pre lubed my buffalo bullets and had the shakes pretty bad and dropped them in the sand. Buck finally got up and hit the fence and rolled backwards, then came my way. I had to bail. Got reloaded, waited for my buddy to arrive. The deer left hair and blood on a 3 foot high barbed wire fence where he crossed. Where I first knocked him down there was a 3 foot diameter of blood on the ground. Thought he was mine. He could barely run. 45 minute wait and started looking. Went through some cattails with blood on both sides of the cattails. After that, I know he came up the bank, but then a hail storm hit and lost all sign. spent 3 days looking for him. Coyotes. Magpies, crows whatever I could try and use. Was so disappointed I lost such a magnificent animal. My fault totally and quit hunting with the muzzy even though I know it was not the gun, bullet, powder etc. just a bad shot. 25 years ago and it is still so fresh in my mind. Enough crying, thanks for all your help!!

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by bigblock455
only a matter of time before swampdouche got in.

That's funny, I was thinking the same about you, and guess who had the first, and easily anticipated reply, to this post?

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Best in line for the money? Any help and no monkey business , I know a few of you!!!! Range is about 600 bucks!!! Thanks!

Knight makes good ones.

Last edited by JSC; 04/08/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have killed 3 elk with the 350 gr Hornady FPBs. This past year shooting them from my T/C rendgade

Venor ergo sum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.