Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can you get remote presure switches for the Fenix?

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What is the difference in lumens and candela?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In layman's terms lumens are the total output of light whereas candela is the "reach" of the light. They are not dependent on each other and most high candela lights are actually lower lumens. A high candela light will generally throw off a narrow but far reaching beam whereas a high lumen light will generally throw a very side beam of light.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Sam, does your X300 click easily for momentary on-off? I've seen some that the rocker was very stiff and couldn't be toggled as easily as the TLR lights.

Just curious.
all you have to do, is press your finger on either side of the toggle, and it gives you instant on. For continuous light, you have to flip the toggle.

Sam......

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thank you reelman, that explains a lot.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Just push the rocker switch forward for momentary on. Depress either side for constant on.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Sam, does your X300 click easily for momentary on-off? I've seen some that the rocker was very stiff and couldn't be toggled as easily as the TLR lights.

Just curious.
all you have to do, is press your finger on either side of the toggle, and it gives you instant on. For continuous light, you have to flip the toggle.

Thanks guys. This was the first time I spent more than a minute or two with one. Off the gun it wasn't as intuitive as it seems now.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reelman
To be fair you really should have used the TLR-1HL with 630 lumens instead of the standard with 300 lumens. It appears that the Fenix has a larger angle of lumination like the HL model has. Sometimes you can have to bright bright of a light also, you can get so much flash back in a room that it partially blinds the user.

If distance is what you're after on a rifle you could also look at the lower lumens, higher candela lights on the market. And if you really want brightness take a look at the StreamLight Pro Tac 3HL with 1100 lumens that will fit any 1" mount.

I would've included an HL TLR, but don't know anyone who has one. I've messed with one of the HL Stinger handheld lights and it was really impressive.

The TLR I posted pics with wasn't included to compare it to the other lights, just to show a reference of how much brighter the other lights were. I had my doubts at first about whether or not they'd be worth the money, but I'm convinced now that they are.

I agree on having too bright of a light. The M600U was so bright in the small room (it's beam was so focused) that it was hard to look at it. The Fenix has more lumens, but spread the light out more and wasn't bad at all.

For my uses, 100 yards is plenty far. And if I can have a light that illuminates rooms better AND gets me to 100 yards, that's the one I'll choose.

Do you have one of the 3HL lights? I'd be curious how much larger the lens is that other lights. The fact that the Fenix and TLR were so low profile was a big deal to me.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can you get remote presure switches for the Fenix?

Fenix makes one. http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ar102/

I couldn't tell if it was allowed you to click for constant on, but it didn't look like it. For me, the ability to get constant on or not is a deal breaker.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the review. Will have to wait till I'm on my home computer to watch the video. It'll be interesting to see how the Fenix holds up. I've read a ton about the chinese LED lights (Fenix, foursevens, etc) and it seems like they're brighter and more efficient than Surefire/Streamlight but maybe not as durable. The fact that you're willing to put one on your patrol rifle tells me I've been overthinking that. smile

Besides the mount, are there any other differences between the Wyoming Arms version and a stock Fenix? Wordering if its just easier to buy a VTAC or other offset 1" mount if you want to be at 11:00 vs 12:00.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes I have a PT3HL and the head is bigger than the body but it's not nearly as large as the Streamlight HP models. The standard PTHL has a smaller head and still has 600 lumens.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
blue, that Wyoming mount is pretty cool. Do you know if they make them for other models and other brands? I like the way it replaces the flashlights body.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This has been an informative thread for me. First I might be scared of the dark.
[Linked Image]
Second, I found a Fenix dealer today and got to look at their lights. They were out of the PD35 but I will pick one up once they get one in. I did notice that the 680 lumen light was listed at 18225 CD which explains a lot to me after reelman's answer to candela vs lumen.
[Linked Image]
Fenix does offer pressure switches, batteries, chargers and a mount. The dealer said he's been selling them about 2 years and his Surefire sales have ceased and his Streamlight sales are hurting.

Thanks Blue, I needed another light...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pffftttt.....Like you've never cost me money before! You're the enabler here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Thanks for the review. Will have to wait till I'm on my home computer to watch the video. It'll be interesting to see how the Fenix holds up. I've read a ton about the chinese LED lights (Fenix, foursevens, etc) and it seems like they're brighter and more efficient than Surefire/Streamlight but maybe not as durable. The fact that you're willing to put one on your patrol rifle tells me I've been overthinking that. smile

Besides the mount, are there any other differences between the Wyoming Arms version and a stock Fenix? Wordering if its just easier to buy a VTAC or other offset 1" mount if you want to be at 11:00 vs 12:00.

I finished shooting with it today and tried to beat it up but it's still rocking along as of a few minutes ago when I unloaded the truck.

I believe the mount is the only difference, but I'd have to refer you to John for any specifics. I think the WA mount is a better way of going about it, for my rail for sure anyway.

I'm now not completely convinced that the 1" mounts will work. In the pic that CumminsCowboy posted it looks like the 1" part of the light is on the head and not the body. I'd not be comfortable with having the light attached at the head only. Maybe he'll see this and chime in on whether or not the ring would fit the body too. If a 1" mount only fits the head of the light, I'd definitely go with the WA mount.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
blue, that Wyoming mount is pretty cool. Do you know if they make them for other models and other brands? I like the way it replaces the flashlights body.

Only the PD35 that I'm aware of.

Locking the light directly to the rail sure seems like a good way to do it, rather than having the light clamped in a ring (Surefire does sort of the same thing with the Scout lights but the mount screws directly to the body of the light rather than being truly integral). It may all be overkill, but it's not like we don't overkill everything else when it comes to gear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the light I am using is a PD 32 ultimate. the middle of the flashlight body is smaller so no the ring will not work in the middle. however with a couple wraps of electrical tape to add a small mount of extra diameter you could put in on the tail cap. however I see nothing wrong with the bezel, I pushed the ring all the way back and its almost behind the glass edge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LSU fan

I finished shooting with it today and tried to beat it up but it's still rocking along as of a few minutes ago when I unloaded the truck.

I believe the mount is the only difference, but I'd have to refer you to John for any specifics. I think the WA mount is a better way of going about it, for my rail for sure anyway.

I'm now not completely convinced that the 1" mounts will work. In the pic that CumminsCowboy posted it looks like the 1" part of the light is on the head and not the body. I'd not be comfortable with having the light attached at the head only. Maybe he'll see this and chime in on whether or not the ring would fit the body too. If a 1" mount only fits the head of the light, I'd definitely go with the WA mount.

Bluedreaux

Thanks for putting up that video. That took a bit of effort.

The light is a standard Fenix PD35. The bezel is tapered and has 3 cooling fins so I doubt a guy can securely clamp on the bezel. The older PD32 had a straight bezel.

Only the PD35 that I'm aware of.

Locking the light directly to the rail sure seems like a good way to do it, rather than having the light clamped in a ring (Surefire does sort of the same thing with the Scout lights but the mount screws directly to the body of the light rather than being truly integral). It may all be overkill, but it's not like we don't overkill everything else when it comes to gear.

Right now we are only doing the PD35. It is such a great light I don't know what would be gained unless we do something with a much tighter beam for nighttime predators at distance. With a magnified optic this little light is easily capable target ID at 150yds.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is it still button activated or can you get one with a switch? The switch has always been easier for me to use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
is it still button activated or can you get one with a switch? The switch has always been easier for me to use.

Button activated. Press for momentary and click for constant on.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I put the light on my competition rifle and shot the STI-Texas Multigun Championship with it. This is the best I could do for a torture test. I put the light on the right side of the rail so every time I shot through a port the light was getting pushed into a barricade and riding the recoil against it. It got thrown around into plastic dump barrels full of sandbags and took it like a champ. It's a little scuffed and scratched, but is working like it was new.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.