Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
The "Heaven is real..." thread got me to thinking about this. I know it pizzes some folks off when metaphysical topics come up, but it's something others have a genuine interest in. So to the former, I say move along, I'm not preaching at you.

I mentioned in the other thread that there is an outstanding book by Dr. Eben Alexander called "Proof of Heaven" in which he describes his near-death experience a few years ago. He had overwhelming bacterial meningitis, which basically ate up his cerebral cortex as he lay in a coma for a week. In that week he went to Heaven, and when he miraculously awoke with a healing brain, he realized he had to find a way to tell the world what he had seen and heard.

The key feature of his story, the kernel that convinces me as a physician and a scientist that his story must be true, is that he could not have possibly "dreamed" or hallucinated his experience. He had no functional brain because of the overwhelming infection.

Whether you're a believer or not, Christian or other faith, this book is worth reading. It's powerful.

But what I really want to talk about here is not Heaven, but Hell. I know it's not a popular concept, but I am convinced Hell is real, and I am convinced that people have been there and have come back. I cite two examples from my own experience.

In the first case, I was a medical student studying under a Cardiologist who was the first doctor I ever heard say he believed in Hell and had proof of it. He had a patient go into V/fib in his office one day, and he started CPR and got the defibrillator. The patient opened his eyes after the first shock and screamed, "I AM IN HELL!". The doc said the man's terror was real, and chilling. The patient coded several more times, and each time he came back he screamed in unholy terror at what he was experiencing. Eventually they got him back, and the patient was able to relate his experience to my Cardiology professor. As it happens, that professor had several other patients describe similar visits to Hell during their heart attacks. But that's third-hand information, I realize.

Since then I have seen a similar thing happen several times, and one instance I will relate here. First, though, I should explain what happens when someone goes into the lethal arrhythmia that we call ventricular fibrillation (V/fib).

You can watch V/fib start on a cardiac monitor, if you have one attached to the patient at the time. What has always puzzled me (and I'm not the only physician who's noted this) is that the patient ALWAYS loses consciously immediately upon onset of V/fib. The brain has 7 seconds' worth of oxygen in it, so the person is not passing out from lack of circulation. They lose consciousness instantly upon onset of the arrhythmia, and you can see the person die before your eyes. I've seen it hundreds of times, it's very very real. You then defibrillate the patient, and they wake up immediately upon restoration of normal sinus rhythm. The body jumps at the electric shock, and sometimes the patient will groan, and you clearly see the life come back into them.

But on several occasions the return to life is dramatically different. I'll tell you the one that sticks in my mind most clearly.

I was working the night shift in my ER in the winter of 2004. It was a relatively quiet night. The night nurse was Mark, who I had worked with for many years. In addition to being a paramedic and a great ER nurse, Mark was an ordained evangelical minister, and we had interesting conversations about theology and such on quiet nights. Me being Catholic, we had some lively doctrinal disagreements from time to time, but we had great respect for each other.

Anyways, about 10 pm a 44-year-old man came in with his wife, saying he had developed bad indigestion shortly after eating a late supper at a local restaurant. He was a big strapping muscular guy with a terrific sandy-blond mustache. (Funny the things you recall about people...) Cigarette smoker, social drinker, no history of heart disease, hypertension, or hyperlipidemia. But he looked awfully pale and sweaty when he walked in, so Mark did the smart thing and put him in the cardiac room and put him on a monitor. He called me in immediately upon seeing the wave form on the monitor. I came in and saw big "tombstones" in Lead II (a positive sign for myocardial infarction, blockage of one of the main arteries supplying the heart). I told Mark we needed an EKG, and told the ER tech to get the AMI box so we could inject him with tenecteplase (clot-buster) as soon as possible.

Mark started to apply the EKG leads, but before he was done the monitor alarmed and the man died. Like I said, it's instantly recognizable: the life simply goes out and the body sinks down on the bed lifelessly. Mark and I both recognized it instantly, and as I reached for the defibrillator Mark slapped defib pads on the man's chest and connected them. I went straight to 360 joules (phugg this 200-300-360 joules bullsh!t), charged the machine, and delivered the shock. The man's body arched up like usual, and he came back to life with a superhumanly loud scream of agony and terror, his eyes bugging out of his head like he'd seen Satan himself. He couldn't speak, and trembled so violently he shook the bed. I looked at the monitor and he was in normal sinus rhythm.

There was no time to really "debrief" the man. We had to get his EKG (which showed an acute anterior MI) and get the clot-busting drugs into him, lidocaine bolus and infusion to stabilize his heart rhythm, and so forth. Mark is a superb nurse, and I think that was close to the world speed record for doing all the things you need to do to treat a bad MI with V/fib.

It was maybe 15 minutes later that Mark and I stepped away from the patient, and I said to him, "You know where that guy went, don't you?" and Mark said, "I've heard about it, but I've never seen it!".

Well, I told Mark he was the ordained minister, and suggested that he use the next 15 minutes using his pastoral skills alongside his nursing skills while we waited for the chopper.

He did so. And afterwards he told me that the patient admitted he had gone to Hell. I won't share details of the man's story, but it was convincing to me, having seen his state of terror when he came back to life.

I've seen two other cases like that one in my career, and in discussions with other ER docs have heard of many more. I am convinced this is as close to Proof of Hell as you can get.

If you choose to disregard or disbelieve this, that is your choice. But if anyone reading this has been sitting on the fence and wondering, I suggest you take this anecdote for what it's worth and do some research on your own in the field of near-death experiences. Not everyone has a happy experience as Eben Alexander did. It might prove a good motivation to get to know the Lord.

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/08/14. Reason: speling and punctiation

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Absolutely no doubt in my mind about the reality of Heaven and Hell. Thanks for sharing.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny what running current through a body will do.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Absolutely no doubt in my mind about the reality of Heaven and Hell. Thanks for sharing.

None in mine either.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Hell sounds like Texas.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you ever inquire as to why they were they sent to Hell?

Was it an act they committed or were they non-believers?

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty serious stuff right there Doc. I for one believe it.

Thanks for sharing. I think! eek

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Active unbelievers.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by fish head
Did you ever inquire as to why they were they sent to Hell?

Was it an act they committed or were they non-believers?

==============

You mean like a Q&A session towards the end of the bender?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd be interested to know what it was that sent him to hell...
Besides for obviously not being right with God that is.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Hell sounds like Texas.
I go to TX for both!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Active unbelievers.

So ...

Did they have a change of heart after the experience?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Were they democrats?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Active unbelievers.

So ...

Did they have a change of heart after the experience?

If not, then you have the living definition of a fool.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
The man I related the story about did. Mark led him thru the Cliff's Notes version of the salvation scriptures, led him in the Sinner's Prayer, and the man was totally different after his heart-to-heart with Mark and the Lord. The wife was in tears, and told Mark that she'd been praying for her husband's soul for years and he had been totally hard-hearted toward God for years and years, until that night.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Nor about which one I am working towards to taking up residence in someday.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Were they democrats?

Oddly enough, they all were...
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good story.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

None in mine either.

Me too

I don't understand it

but

I don't doubt it

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 37 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.