Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rio Tinto pulls out of controversial Alaska mine

Kennecott�s parent company, Rio Tinto, is pulling out of a proposed copper mine in southwest Alaska that sparked strong opposition because of the environmental harm it could cause in salmon-rich Bristol Bay.

The London-based multinational company announced Monday it will donate its majority interest in the Pebble Project � a 19.1 percent shareholding � to two charitable organizations in Alaska.

Rio Tinto�s withdrawal is another major blow to what would have been a massive open-pit copper, gold and molybdenum mine on an isolated bay that produces nearly 50 percent of the world�s wild sockeye salmon, supporting 14,000 full- and part-time jobs.

In December, the British mining company Anglo American dropped out after holding a 50 percent interest for the past six years. Mitsbushi Corp., which had a 9 percent interest, also has exited.

Rio Tinto�s departure leaves the Pebble mine without a major source of funding, said Bonnie Gestring of Earthworks, part of a broad coalition that fought the Pebble mine. Protests were held periodically in Salt Lake City.

"More importantly," Gestring added, "there is now no mining company behind Pebble that has actually mined anything."

In a three-paragraph news release, Rio Tinto CEO Jean-Sebastien Jacques said the company has concluded "the Pebble Project does not fit with Rio Tinto�s strategy."

The proposed mine did not meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards either. EPA released a report Feb. 28 that said the mine would "likely cause irreversible destruction of streams that support salmon and other important fish species, as well as extensive areas of wetlands, ponds and lakes."

EPA officials noted that 850,000 letters of opposition were received from "citizens, tribes, Alaska Native corporations, commercial and sport fishermen, jewelry companies, seafood processors, restaurant owners, chefs, conservation organizations, members of the faith community, sports recreation business owners [and] elected officials."

The fishing industry in Bristol Bay supports about 14,000 full- and part-time jobs.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was going to do some survey flying on that project. I had to leave early because of a problem at home. I when to a meeting with another pilot to listen to what they had to say. The other pilot figured that we would get maybe five good years of steady flying and then they would just pack up and leave. He said the Pebble would drop a load of money and the Alaskans will never allow it to ever be built. Its in the Greatest Salmon fishery in the world, never mind trout steelhead grayling and stuff I have not mentioned. I come to believe its a very very bad Idea.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.