Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up an old Drilling in 9.3x72R that was originally a BP cartridge. I'd like to load 200gr. Paper Patched bullets in it but would like to have a clean burning load. I was looking at BMZ or 777, any other suggestions?

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
left to right

375 Win. 35 Whelen 9.3x72R

[Linked Image]

Make mine a Minaska

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What limited experience I have had with the BP substitutes, they are NOT cleaner than real BP, in fact they tend to be MORE corrosive than the real deal, thus my limited experience.

While I'm new to the BPCR addiction, I have been shooting BP in muzzle loaders for better than thirty years and have tried just about everything that has come out because I couldn't always get the real deal.

Have you tried chatting with the folks over at bpcr.net?

If I were to look for something more akin to the BP velocities for your rifle, I'd have to look very seriously at Accurate's 5744 powder.

With a case volume nearly identical to the .40-65, albeit a small diameter, I'd start looking at lower charges for that cartridge to get an idea of where to start.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
What limited experience I have had with the BP substitutes, they are NOT cleaner than real BP, in fact they tend to be MORE corrosive than the real deal, thus my limited experience.

I have quite a bit of experience with black and subs, and this is 100% accurate. Black is absolutely not that big of a deal. And it is not as corrosive as many say it is. Maybe a better way to say that is it will not corrode as fast as subs will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Real black is not that hard to clean, as others posted. I am running a .45-90 original High Wall, and shoot black in it with no issues. I have a Shiloh on the way, and it too will see black. Both guns are strong enough to use smokeless, in more than light charges, but I choose to run BP in them.

The other point is, are you sure that Drilling is intended for only black? I'd have the proof marks examined by an expert as it may well have been "nitro proofed" for smokeless. And depending on the rifle's sights, you may find it necessary to pick one or the other, to get it to shoot to the sights.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at the water table under the barrels. Look for a knights helmet with an "N" below. The means nitro proofed. Smokeless. Another stamp would be KPHM fo jacketed bullets. 9,3x72R can be loaded BP or smokeless. Nice hunting cartridge. Killed 2 wild boar with mine.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for clean burning blackpowder try some Olde Eysnford powder.
If you just have to use a sub, might try blackhorn 209.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
erich,

These folks will deliver Olde Eynsford, KIK, Goex, or Swiss BP right to your door; POWDER INC LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
IMR 4198 is the cleanest BP substitute. Just use 40% of the BP load, and you get BP pressures and performance. For example, if the 9.3 case holds 50 gr. BP below the bullet, use 20 gr. 4198.

erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone.

I have a lot of experience with BP in my Flintlocks and shotguns but was looking for a full power load with near 100% load density with out the need to clean after just a few shots.

The bore of this rifle is .344 and the groove is .364 with tall narrow lands. While nitro and jacketed prooved and shoots S&B factory loads well it just seems to say to me that it wants lead down the bore.

Last edited by erich; 04/17/14.

Make mine a Minaska

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.