Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John Burns recently sent me one of his Wyoming Arms Fenix lights for T&E and I thought some here might be interested in my review / comparison.

For the evaluation of the light itself I compared it to three other commonly used weapon lights-the Surefire X300U, Surefire Scout M600U and the Streamlight TLR1. The TLR1 isn't known for high lumens, but I thought it was good for comparison purposes to show how much of a difference these high lumen lights make.

The TLR1 and Surefire X300U are nearly identical in size and weight. The X300U is slightly longer and the TLR1 is slightly larger at the lens.
The TLR1 is advertised at 300 lumens while the X300U is advertised at 500 lumens.
[Linked Image]

The Surefire Scout M600U (500 lumens) and Fenix PD35 (850 lumens) are also nearly identical in size and weight. The M600U used in this test is equipped with a Haley Strategic mount.
[Linked Image]

Method Of Testing
All of the lights in this test use CR123 batteries. I put fresh batteries of the same make in each of the lights prior to testing.

I adjusted my camera's settings for each set of pictures so that the photo resembled what I was actually seeing during the test.

Rather than post 20-something pictures in this thread I put them together in a video. Since it would be cumbersome to add notes about the test to the video, there are a few things worth noting here.
-I used three subjects for most of the tests. The middle subject held a white sheet of paper and the two subjects on the edges held blue and green paper. It was interesting to see which lights threw enough light on the subjects to be able to discern the color differences in the blue and green paper.
-For the outdoor pictures there was faint ambient light, but not enough to see the subjects clearly (if at all).
-The indoor pictures were taken in total darkness, although I did take one photo with the overhead lights on so that you could see what the room should look like with illumination.

The large room was approximately 24'x30'. I stood approximately 40' from the middle subject. The subject to the right (blue paper) was 8' from center and the subject to the left (green paper) was 16' from center, both were at 90* from the center. In a large room like this, all of the lights left portions of the room unilluminated, but the lights with tightly focused beams left large parts of the room dark.

The small room was approximately 12' square. The focused beam of the two Surefire lights was incredibly bright in this room and caused a lot of light to be reflected back at the light / shooter.

The first outdoor test was at 25 yards. All three subjects were in line with each other. The subject to the right (blue paper) was 15 yards from center and the subject on the left (green paper) was 7 yards from center.
-This test was very surprising. Even at 25 yards, the two offset subjects almost couldn't be seen with three of the lights. The subject to the right was actually farther from the center, but because of his clothing and the background he was more visible that the left subject.

The second outdoor test was at 50 yards. Only two subjects were used for this test. At 50 yards the usefulness of the higher lumen lights really started to become evident. The TLR1 illuminated the subjects, but the green and blue colors aren't easily discernible.

The last outdoor test was at 100 yards. Again, only two subjects were used. At 100 yards, the TLR1 barely illuminated the subjects at all. Until this test, the two Surefire lights were nearly identical in performance. But at 100 yards the more focused beam of the M600U was very useful.

At the end of the video I included two battery life tests for the Fenix PD35 and the M600U. Both lights were left running for thirty minutes and then brought back outside for comparison. During the battery life testing the Fenix light seemed much brighter.

My final impressions.....
I'm currently using the TLR1 on a patrol rifle and have been shopping for a brighter light for a while now. I'm likely going to switch to the Fenix light. For general purpose / patrol work I like the throw of the Fenix beam much better than the Surefire options. In the large room test the Fenix light illuminated much more of the room. 25-50 yards the Fenix light illuminated the target as well as the more focused beams but also cast a wider beam on the surrounding area, an important consideration for patrol work. For someone using their rifle for hunting I could definitely see the same benefit. At 100 yards the Fenix light gave up some illumination to the M600U with fresh batteries, but after 30 minutes of use the Fenix light was better up close and at distance. If all or most of your light needs were for 100 yards and beyond I could see a case being made that the M600U being a more suitable light. But for me, the benefits of the Fenix inside of 100 yards and the battery life the Fenix has made it a worthwhile trade off for me. In my opinion the Fenix light is only inferior to the M600U at beyond 100 yards (and even the advantage the Surefire has isn't much) when both lights have fresh batteries. After some use the Fenix's illumination is clearly better in all situations in my opinion.

If you're not wanting or needing 850 lumens, the Fenix is adjustable for 10-45-170-450 lumens. 450 lumens is still 50% brighter than the TLR1 I'm currently using and Fenix claims a battery life of two and a half hours at that setting.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I thought a second post would be useful to talk about the Wyoming Arms mount for the Fenix light.

The mount that Wyoming Arms is building actually replaces the body of the Fenix PD35. As such, there are only two screws involved in the mount and it'd be impossible for the light to shoot loose from the mount. The mount is very low profile as seen in the pictures below.
[Linked Image]

I currently have my TLR1 mounted at 12 o'clock in front of a fixed front sight. This allows easy access to the momentary / constant on rocker switch, but the light's bell is so large that it protrudes into the bottom of the sight picture with iron sights.
[Linked Image]

The Wyoming Arms Fenix light can be mounted at 12 o'clock and I found that the push button switch of the Fenix could be activated if my front sight was pushed back to the approximate location of a carbine gas block. The light mount was low profile enough to keep the light out of the sight picture, but I don't think this is the most ideal solution.
[Linked Image]

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Troy Alpha rails. The Alpha rails come with small picatinny rail sections that mount in the holes of the rail. There are holes at 11 and 1 o'clock on the rail that generally aren't useable because the picatinny pieces are so close to the top rail that most clamps won't fit. But I was very excited to find that the Wyoming Arms mount is small enough to fit (with a little finagling) at 11 o'clock without having to purchase any additional offset mounts. I really prefer my lights at 11 or 12 o'clock. With this low profile mount at 11 o'clock I really can't see it getting hung up on barricades, slings, or climbing in and out of a patrol car.
[Linked Image]

My only concern with the light was the little grey clicky switch near the lens. That grey switch is what adjusts the brightness of the light and I can see it easily getting bumped while in use or storage, especially in the trunk or rack of a patrol car. I talked to John about this and he explained that he's now making small inserts to place between the light's body and lens. The spacer is just thick enough to keep the grey switch turned toward the barrel of the gun so that it won't get accidentally bumped.

As far as long term reliability is concerned, John tells me he has over 8,000 rounds on his current Fenix PD35. I'm going to mount the Wyoming Arms light on my competition rifle and shoot the STI-Texas Multigun Championship with it this week. The match will only be 250ish rounds. But it'll be two days and 12 stages of the rifle getting thrown into dump barrels and slammed into ports and will see more rough use in those two days than most hunting or patrol rifles see in a year. I don't expect any problems, but I'll report back if there are any.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the entire set up. Rather than send the light and mount back, I intend to buy it from John and keep it on my patrol rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model number?

Type of batteries?

Retail price?

Thanks

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All of the lights tested use the CR123 batteries. The Fenix is the PD35.

The Fenix and integral mount are $150 from Wyoming Arms.
http://wyomingarms.com/parts-accessories/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you for your review. The price is right and I need another light!

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Excellent work Blue and many thanks for posting that. Looks like Burns has another winner.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I own 3 Fenix lights, don't recall the model numbers off hand. All have been excellent on brightness and battery life, running at least twice as long as the same lumens in other brands.

Two reside in the truck and car as emergency lights, the one in the truck has been somewhat abused by dropping, rolling around under the seat, and general tumble.

I have a pocket clip model that runs on one AA battery as long(er) as my Surefire Executive does on two C123s. It's replaced every other flashlight in my hunting pack, and I can carry one set of batteries for the GPS and the flashlight. Fenix makes a great light IMHO, and I'm not surprised to see these results.

Another good review, Blue.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Blue would the VTAC mount work with this light?

Last edited by TWR; 04/08/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TWR, the Fenix site lists everything in metrics but if google conversions are correct it's a 1" tube (25.4mm). So I'm nearly certain it would fit.

That looks like a 6P....? If so, the difference will be unbelievable.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll check it out cause I hate adding those rail sections to put the light in the same spot.
Ya this is just an 85 lumen light, good for in the house but not much else.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I just sent one of my nephews off to Afghanistan with a new Fenix flashlight. Compact, uses CR123 batteries, very bright.
I am only running a white light on one AR, my Spikes Tactical. The light is a Surefire X300. It does everything I need it to do, so I probably won't be buying another light.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sam, does your X300 click easily for momentary on-off? I've seen some that the rocker was very stiff and couldn't be toggled as easily as the TLR lights.

Just curious.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just push the rocker switch forward for momentary on. Depress either side for constant on.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Blue, I have found the rocker on the TLR to dang easy to toggle. Barely bump it and it makes contact. I really which it took a little more effort.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never mind, I think I need one just to see...

Last edited by TWR; 04/08/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Pard you need a good set of screwdrivers that for the screws you are screwing!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a good screwdriver.....on my leatherman.....

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The fenix will work with the Vtac fine, I run mine at the 1 oclock and wrap over with my thumb to activate.

I am split between the fenix lights and streamlights but I use a pair of TK11 for almost everything in patrol and have been impressed with their durability.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just mount the same light in a weaver ring, I have those laying around in my parts bin, ie free. granted its not as clean a look. I prefer midwest gen2 SS over troy, slightly cheaper too, both are great though

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To be fair you really should have used the TLR-1HL with 630 lumens instead of the standard with 300 lumens. It appears that the Fenix has a larger angle of lumination like the HL model has. Sometimes you can have to bright bright of a light also, you can get so much flash back in a room that it partially blinds the user.

If distance is what you're after on a rifle you could also look at the lower lumens, higher candela lights on the market. And if you really want brightness take a look at the StreamLight Pro Tac 3HL with 1100 lumens that will fit any 1" mount.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.