Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Finally after a 4 month hiatus, a newly acquired .308 makes it to the range.
This load is 45.5gr. Varget with a 168 BT at a COAL of 2.850" which was .082" shy of touching the rifling. The magazine allows for a 2.875" max length with the spacer in place. The crony shows an average of 2700fps.
I am pleased with the two 5 shot groups after the one "sighter" at the bottom edge of the 4x4 card. The 3 shot groups at a gusty 200 yards was plenty good for the first session.
This is my first attempt at photos with the iMac so lets see what happens.

Well copy and paste from Photobucket transferred some code but no hyper link.
Back to the drawing board here for some other options.
Maybe this worked?

http://s875.photobucket.com/user/bizypix/media/L1050349_zps9c90dac9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s875.photobucket.com/user/bizypix/media/L1050348_zpsdd2e21f9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/09/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are BW's pictures. I always love range sessions with my pre 64's. Every "first group" fired (with my new to me rifle) has been sub moa. I guess that's either lucky or very good karma....Very nice rifle BW. I almost feel guilty for snagging that Mcmillan for my 270 fwt, but the stock on your rifle is very nice anyway...Happy hunting with that ol girl buddy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Very nice BW, another classy rig you've got there.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA,
I did pickup a Fwt. stock that I'll replace this beauty with. I can bed it an not feel guilty. The .308, is certainly a mild mannered cartridge in a 7 1/2# Fwt..

Thanks handwerk. I'm looking forward to session #2 with the new stock.
This '53 model is really nice to find unmolested.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice rifle and darned good groups/shooting there Bigwhoop.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks elkhunternm. That rifle will be my "go to" next October in northern NM on another bull hunt.
Its very nice when a 61 year old rifle can still deliver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like minute of Elk to me! I had my old 1952 Model 70 270 out today as well in all this fine sunshine. I can't complain about these four groups with a nearly equal old Lyman All American 4X. Who says these old guns can't shoot?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kitch; 04/10/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Thanks elkhunternm. That rifle will be my "go to" next October in northern NM on another bull hunt.
Good luck on your bull elk hunt in October. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kitch
Looks like minute of Elk to me! I had my old 1952 Model 70 270 out today as well in all this fine sunshine. I can't complain about these four groups with a nearly equal old Lyman All American 4X. Who says these old guns can't shoot?

[Linked Image]

Very nice Kitch. Excellent!!!! Who says these old rifles can't shoot..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Good luck on your bull elk hunt in October. smile

Ditto!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There really is not much difference in the warhorse and the .308 and a whitetail cannot tell a dog dam bit. both make em wilt but IM not too dam sure the .308win is not a tad more inherently accurate, if there is a such thing. I have yet to have but one 308 that would not shoot, it was a supposed to be a NIB Ruger tang 77 varmint. POS barrel would not group in 6 ", ROBAR in AZ changed that with a Schneider barrel. I had a Ruger 77tang Varmint in swift that was a finish nail driver with any ammo made,it was a little known fact that Douglas made the .22 barrels for Ruger back in those days,that gun was shooting better than an inch after 2K rounds, I did not hot rod it or shoot long strings in a hurry, you had to clean the barrel about every 70 rounds and it took about 5 shots to settle her back in the money, sold it to buy my Win Varminter in swift, it shoots as good BUT is much more picky on pet ammo! v best win poor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That will work. smile

You have to love shooting these old rifles! Congrats!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
There really is not much difference in the warhorse and the .308 and a whitetail cannot tell a dog dam bit. both make em wilt but IM not too dam sure the .308win is not a tad more inherently accurate, if there is a such thing. I have yet to have but one 308 that would not shoot, it was a supposed to be a NIB Ruger tang 77 varmint. POS barrel would not group in 6 ", ROBAR in AZ changed that with a Schneider barrel. I had a Ruger 77tang Varmint in swift that was a finish nail driver with any ammo made,it was a little known fact that Douglas made the .22 barrels for Ruger back in those days,that gun was shooting better than an inch after 2K rounds, I did not hot rod it or shoot long strings in a hurry, you had to clean the barrel about every 70 rounds and it took about 5 shots to settle her back in the money, sold it to buy my Win Varminter in swift, it shoots as good BUT is much more picky on pet ammo! v best win poor

Winpoor, in the benchrest shooting world it has been said that the 308 win is "more inherently" accurate than the 30-06. In our world, you couldn't prove it by me. Ask EricM how 30-06's shoot and don't make me pull out some pictures to remind you guys laugh.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm a 30-06 die hard, but have yet to shoot a center fire I did not like or could not find some use far, that goes with being a rifle loon. At any rate I read most of this guys stuff, he is a hell of a shot and just loves the 06 govt.
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/
What did the old timers say" aint much cant be fixed with 700 dollars or a 30-06"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Winpoor, in the benchrest shooting world it has been said that the 308 win is "more inherently" accurate than the 30-06. In our world, you couldn't prove it by me. Ask EricM how 30-06's shoot and don't make me pull out some pictures to remind you guys laugh.

Yeah, 30-06's suck! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No, I think you suck!! shocked .. Looks like a "ragged hole" maker to me. Looks like you know how to read a measuring device too. wink ..Not too bad for factory ammo and an old Winchester laugh ..That's a shooting sob right there guys..One of the slickest pre 64's I've handled too.. I'll also bet it gives his Tikka's a run for their money wink

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
FU U let that SG NM in sporter stock go without a wit of me a chance! SW GA money spends too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said it, BSA. That pre-64 outshoots all my Tikkas so far. It's never failed, feeds like butter and shoots well consistently. cool I also find it a BIG bonus that it's in such a versatile caliber.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sure is buddy. Also, I'll act like I didn't hear you say it outshoots your Tikkas. Hopefully none of the other Tikka boys show up eek.. I really think winpoor wanted your beautiful NM too whistle. That was a nice rifle..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,498
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.