Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by luvmycz
Looking for suggestions for an accurate take down rifle. Recently went on a trip, and it took a lot of effort to find a case that would fit one of my hunting rifles and stay within the airlines ridiculous weight and size restrictions.

I now have another reason to buy another rifle...happy happy.

I'm looking for a rifle that can break down and be put back together with a scope that will hold zero. I'm looking at the contender series, nef/hr etc. I can't afford anything like the Wild West lever actions.

Any suggestions?

Anticipating another hell-bound thread, I ignored all the former talk and will say this.
After I brought a full length gun case to Alaska in 2000, I swore never again.
I didn't as my last 5 trips were with rifles that could easily be "broken down".
The rifles cases were pouch shorter and easier to transport. The rifles I brought were a Kimber Talkeetna, Kimber 8400 and a Kimber 84L. All three rifles were apart in about a minute with an Allen wrench spinning off two hex headed screws.
The rifles were tested at the range 5-6 times to make sure they would return to zero.
So you don't need another rifle, just modify yours with hex heads and bring two Allen wrenches.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/17/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B6

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cartridges chambered are limited, but the 94 Trails Ends look good, are not too heavy, and breakdown into a compact size.

[Linked Image]

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=003C&mid=534191

I'm waffling between one of these and a BLR to fit in the boxes on the motorcycle.

Last edited by Rovering; 04/17/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rovering
Cartridges chambered are limited, but the 94 Trails Ends look good, are not too heavy, and breakdown into a compact size.

[Linked Image]

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=003C&mid=534191

I'm waffling between one of these and a BLR to fit in the boxes on the motorcycle.

Is that an antique? What does the loop thing on the bottom do?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Rovering

[Linked Image]

Is that an antique? What does the loop thing on the bottom do?

Travis

My guess is a funky new shape of bolt handle.

You know people use some weird things, from dainty little bits of silverware to shifters International Harvester discarded decades ago as too large for 2 1/2 ton ag trucks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The Corps used Mcmillans on the M40A1 for years. I've never heard of them having problems with rezeroing after a jump (at least any more than other rifles). If there was an issue, the Death From Afar books would have covered it.

Those morons wouldn't know an accurate rifle if they found one. Chandler has run his mouth about what a POS H&S stocks are for 25 years. He's clueless. Most of the rifles he builds, and charges and arm and a leg for, won't shoot MOA. I'd consider another source if I were you. How many gyrines are jumpin M40's? They don't do it in their course. Anglico doesn't. The next time I work with some recon/MARSOC types I will certainly ask them about their experience.

Got it. The Marine Corps doesn't know anything about accurate rifles. Learn something new everyday.

No dipschidt, your "death from afar" fellow dipschidts, the Chandler bros. Quantico SS grads are some trigger pullin muldoons.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

How many parachute jumps have you made with your trusty mickey stocks, [bleep]? The SOTIC committee at Ft Bragg got tired of re-bedding mickey HTG's after the mandatory FTX parachute infill in the course. It helps to actually know WTF you are talking about when you post.

And since it's probably still not clear to you, the OP won't be taking that particular course so your quote above has absolutely no relevance.

Yeah, it was pretty clear to me before being subjected to your dumbazz post he wouldn't be attending SOTIC and in and of itself is extraneous and had zilch to do with the OP's question.

M24's typically are padded and rigged to a parachute harness inside an M1950 weapons case and lowered on a lowering line about 200ft AGL. The rifle hits the ground at near the velocity it would achieve from being tossed over a 10ft wall, every jump. The H&S stocks withstand this repeatedly and hold zero.

I know your gray-headed azz remembers the Samsonite gorilla commercial. I guess that wouldn't be pertinent either, using your silly-azzed logic, or lack thereof.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nice to see someone that finally makes Lee24 appear credible

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
M24's typically are padded and rigged to a parachute harness inside an M1950 weapons case and lowered on a lowering line about 200ft AGL. The rifle hits the ground at near the velocity it would achieve from being tossed over a 10ft wall, every jump. The H&S stocks withstand this repeatedly and hold zero.

An armored Humvee can deflect small arms fire, drive right over obstacles that would high-center my truck, and run over stuff that would flatten my tires and keep on going.

I could drive the 1.7 miles to work in an armored Humvee if I wanted to.

But I don't. Do you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Corps used Mcmillans on the M40A1 for years. I've never heard of them having problems with rezeroing after a jump (at least any more than other rifles). If there was an issue, the Death From Afar books would have covered it.

Those morons wouldn't know an accurate rifle if they found one. Chandler has run his mouth about what a POS H&S stocks are for 25 years. He's clueless. Most of the rifles he builds, and charges and arm and a leg for, won't shoot MOA. I'd consider another source if I were you. How many gyrines are jumpin M40's? They don't do it in their course. Anglico doesn't. The next time I work with some recon/MARSOC types I will certainly ask them about their experience.

Got it. The Marine Corps doesn't know anything about accurate rifles. Learn something new everyday.

No dipschidt, your "death from afar" fellow dipschidts, the Chandler bros. Quantico SS grads are some trigger pullin muldoons.

Roy Chandler ran a sniper school in Korea, and was a member of Army level rifle and pistol teams.

Norm won the Pershing Trophy in 1978.

The Chandlers clearly don't know anything about shooting or accurate rifles.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the well-bedded bolt action idea. When I was a teenager, I didn't know about "return to zero". I would often take my rifles out of their stocks for cleaning, then bolt them back together tight and go hunting. They were 700's that had been bedded to good stocks, so I never had any problems. I did have the sense to notice if mag boxes were binding and things hadn't gone back together correctly.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

L
luvmycz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thank you for all of the replies. The scenic route the discussion takes once in a while is entertaining as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well this turned into a Monkey Feces throwing fight. I shoot a Blaser R-93, have done so for the last 8 years now. its a very good rifle, and the R-8's are even better.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I already posted this in the gunwriters forum, but it may have some value here.

This action was re-barreled from a .223 AI to a vanilla and it came back to me yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Before taking it apart I marked the rings and scope. Removed everything from the barreled action and sent it off. After getting it back I put everything back on, and this was the first three shots with the ammo I was previously using to fire form with the AI barrel.

[Linked Image]

That was only two clicks off center. That's with removing the scope, rings/bases, stock, being mailed to another state, returning with a new barrel, no torque wrench, etc...

So... yeah. A proper bedding job on a McMillan works wonders. I'm sure you'd get the same results with stocks of similar quality.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yea, but you haven't made any jumps with it have you?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

No, but it got a bit of salt spray on it when he went for a stroll across the bay.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I could have my son jump from the roof all day?

On second thought... I think we'll just remember TAK is a moron and continue to move forward.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Blaser K95 in .308 which breaks down small and light.

Perfect for traveling

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by aalf

His new jump weapon......

[Linked Image]

That photo is obviously a fake.

T_A_K doesn't need glasses. His vision is 20-10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by aalf

His new jump weapon......

[Linked Image]

That photo is obviously a fake.

T_A_K doesn't need glasses. His vision is 20-10.

Titanium safety glasses....duh....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No??? Are they the ones with diamond coatings on the lenses no doubt?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.