Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
luvmycz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Looking for suggestions for an accurate take down rifle. Recently went on a trip, and it took a lot of effort to find a case that would fit one of my hunting rifles and stay within the airlines ridiculous weight and size restrictions.

I now have another reason to buy another rifle...happy happy.

I'm looking for a rifle that can break down and be put back together with a scope that will hold zero. I'm looking at the contender series, nef/hr etc. I can't afford anything like the Wild West lever actions.

Any suggestions?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Contender carbine that meets your criteria but the Encore might give you more options for higher intensity rounds. I like Savage 99's like the G in 303 or 300 Savage but have receiver sights rather than scopes. Have you considered pulling the stock to fit barreled action and stock into a takedown case. This might require a bit of attention to bedding to make re-assembly more consistent. I thought about this with a 98 Mauser and I believe gun writer Jon Sundra or possibly Finn Aagaard wrote about this option a number of years ago. True takedown bolt guns will be a custom proposition and very pricey. Just my thoughts. Bruce

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Single Shot

Merkel k1 or k3 or Blaser k model (not pictured)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Repeater

Blaser R93 or r98

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both break down and re-assemble quickly. No tools on the Merkel. Allen wrench on the Blaser.

The scopes with the Recknagel mount on the Merkel and the saddle mount on the Blaser return to zero every time.

With the Blaser you can get cases that will fit two scoped barrels and one stock.

Or a Pelican case with pick and pull foam would be a less expensive option if your rifle of choice did not come with a case.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Blaser is the best option but very pricey. When alpine hunting where there are no bears (New Zealand), I use a T/C Contender in 308 Bellm. 300 Savage performance in a 5 pound package. The Encore is at least a pound heavier. Where bears are a concern, T/C Dimension. Any conventional bolt action rifle can be removed from the stock. However, most stocks are 31 1/2 inches long and this method requires reassembly with a torque wrench on the other end and sighting in to confirm zero. There are numerous custom gunsmiths who offer takedown conversions where the barrel unscrews from the action and the stock is cut off at this junction. This results in a shorter broken down overall length but these conversions are $800 - $1000 over the cost of the firearm.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by geedubya

Single Shot

Merkel k1 or k3 or Blaser k model (not pictured)

[Linked Image]
Man Geedubya.....I enjoy your taste in firearms!

To the OP.....a less expensive alternative could be a takedown BLR.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Repeater

Blaser R93 or r98

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both break down and re-assemble quickly. No tools on the Merkel. Allen wrench on the Blaser.

The scopes with the Recknagel mount on the Merkel and the saddle mount on the Blaser return to zero every time.

With the Blaser you can get cases that will fit two scoped barrels and one stock.

Or a Pelican case with pick and pull foam would be a less expensive option if your rifle of choice did not come with a case.

Best,

GWB

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An AR.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny but my AR is my most accurate take down rifle hands down

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My properly bedded bolt action rifles stay zeroed or not far from it (say within a few inches at 100 yards) when the stock is removed and replaced. Makes all my rifles into takedowns.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
AR's are accurate no doubt.

But most don't come in blue steel and wood

are not a pleasure to carry or balance in the hand

Just don't see many in

6.5 x 55
7 x 57R
7 x 61
7 mag
7 STW
30-06
30 Blaser
300 H&H
300 Win Mag
300 Weatherby Mag
338 Win Mag
9.3 x 62
9.3 x 74R
375 H&H
416 Rem Mag

just sayin'

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/10/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Blaser K95 is pretty sweet. I'd say my Blaser R8 or Contenders work well too.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would definitely opt for the Encore. Light, handy, and have proven to be very accurate. I have one in 22-250, 30/06, and 209x50 muzzle loader that I regularly travel with back to michigan. IT has accounted for more than its share of whitetails.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I had the Browning BLR Lightweight. And it was accurate, reasonably priced, and a nice take-down...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Yes sir. I wasn't joking.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

I had the Browning BLR Lightweight. And it was accurate, reasonably priced, and a nice take-down...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice!

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Yes sir. I wasn't joking.

Travis

That's fine......I was not

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
L
luvmycz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thank you for the suggestions. I think the blr is an excellent option. The other rifles are just too expensive. I'm even considering a marlin 336 in .308 marlin express. Taking the butt stock off seems to be a viable option.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by luvmycz
Looking for suggestions for an accurate take down rifle. Recently went on a trip, and it took a lot of effort to find a case that would fit one of my hunting rifles and stay within the airlines ridiculous weight and size restrictions.

I'm looking for a rifle that can break down and be put back together with a scope that will hold zero. I'm looking at the contender series, nef/hr etc. I can't afford anything like the Wild West lever actions.

Any suggestions?

Slap a Remington 700 into a properly bedded stock and a minute with an allen wrench and you have 2 pieces. It works.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
luvmycz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
oh? Now that is something I didn't think I could do. Love that idea.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What Steelhead said. It does work - mine will come back to within 1/2 of the previous group, close enough for hunting big game.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by luvmycz

Any suggestions?

Slap a Remington 700 into a properly bedded stock and a minute with an allen wrench and you have 2 pieces. It works.

An H&S stock with it's bedding block and the GI type 65in/lb torque wrench is a LOT more durable/repeatable

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.