Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Good point but how come the old codger is in the bottom of a coulee? If not to standout.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll ask him next time I'm down there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Old for most is more a problem of the mind than the body.

Of course it is going to hurt. Accept it.

You may not go as far as you once did. Nor as fast or often, but you go.
When you stop going, then you're old.

Last edited by battue; 04/12/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ted didn't get old until last year when he didn't show at either 91 or 92.
Can't remember him at least not getting a Doe for years. There were hills he couldn't climb, but he was on the hill somewhere.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by eyeball
Yea, that's what it was. We used shorts unless we were going to the river bottom where there were deer, in which case we got the high powered longs.

I remember the day my uncle (4 years older than me) turned me on to long rifles!!! Wow! I never knew they existed!!! Longs were a treat! Shorts were always available! Or as some of the old folks here called em "shoats". LOL! Like the little pig!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

You're an old hunter if you insist that your hunting camp _NOT_ be within cell phone range.

FjLee Denver CO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must be old, since I never take a cell phone with me in the woods, and when I fell deer hunting last season, thought it was just a sprain only after dark did I figure it was broken, and its still aches some.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by kawi
If you seek a strait power rifle scope.grin

But you are even older if while hunting:

-You have to get-up at night every two hours to pee

But you stay warm because the wood stove stays stoked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
......the horse you take to elk camp is more than half-broke.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The horse I elk hunt off of is less than half broke, but he's old as hell. Perfect.

I'm 34 and am slowly changing all my scopes over to Leupy 6X42s, 6X36s, 4X whatever or 2.5X20s. I am convinced variables change their POI with power change or I hold the rifle slightly different.

I hit on high school chick though. That keeps me young.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sam. You are right.. One of my neighbors replied when I ask if he got a deer, and if it was a nice one: He said, "yes but my idea of nice has changed over the years.. Now it is nice if it fat and close the road."

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ya know yer an old hunter, when you'd rather go squirrel hunting than deer hunting, cause they're easier to pack out by yourself. grin Ask me how I know, mad that decision a couple of times last season!

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, some of you guys are OLD regardless of your age. smile

When I don't feel like going up the mountains and seeing what is on the other side of the next ridge, then I'll feel old. And I've used variables for all of my rifles since I started hunting in the 60's and plan to keep using them until I give it up. Never missed a shot due to a problem with the variable scope, but a lot of guys want to blame it on something.....

At only 61, I've got a long ways to go before I start feeling old- regardless of the Cholesterol, Blood pressure, Thyroid, medications and aspirin I have to take along..... wink A lot of the young bucks in camp still have a tough time keeping up with me and I intend to keep it that way for a while longer if I can.

To add to the OP's title-

You're old if you can remember buying a tag and being able to hunt the whole state with it! And seasons were 3 weeks to a month long....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
Man, some of you guys are OLD regardless of your age. smile

When I don't feel like going up the mountains and seeing what is on the other side of the next ridge, then I'll feel old. And I've used variables for all of my rifles since I started hunting in the 60's and plan to keep using them until I give it up. Never missed a shot due to a problem with the variable scope, but a lot of guys want to blame it on something.....

At only 61, I've got a long ways to go before I start feeling old- regardless of the Cholesterol, Blood pressure, Thyroid, medications and aspirin I have to take along..... wink A lot of the young bucks in camp still have a tough time keeping up with me and I intend to keep it that way for a while longer if I can.

To add to the OP's title-

You're old if you can remember buying a tag and being able to hunt the whole state with it! And seasons were 3 weeks to a month long....

Bob

Wait ten more years and come back with your reply. Age has away of changing perspectives.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If your first "commercial" treestand was a Baker.....with NO climbing aid....you just had to "bear-hug" the tree to climb. Hey and the first ones were just that....a treeSTAND, cause you had no where to sit. I remember using an old baseball uniform stretchy belt as my safety belt. Boy oh Boy what a dumbazz I was. Somehow these are still some of the best days of my life!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by eyeball
Yea, that's what it was. We used shorts unless we were going to the river bottom where there were deer, in which case we got the high powered longs.

I remember the day my uncle (4 years older than me) turned me on to long rifles!!! Wow! I never knew they existed!!! Longs were a treat! Shorts were always available! Or as some of the old folks here called em "shoats". LOL! Like the little pig!

Ha, probably been more fatted hogs killed in the barnyard with a short between the eyes than anything else. I wonder if that's why....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you have killed dove and ducks with cardboard paper shotgun shells.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have a Browning Auto-5 bought from Pfiefer-Blass (precursor to Dillard's) in Little Rock

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you've ever killed anything with a Bear Kodiak Magnum...........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
..... you think that 500 yards is still a "long" shot. smile

-You remember when Colorado and Saskatchewan had two buck limits.

-You bought your Colorado mule deer license when you got there.

-You remember when "BC" stood for "Bonded Core".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.