Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
A fellow member PM'd me and pointed out that I might want to share this story in the main forum here.

It's kind of a neat story so, ok.

Some of you followed my 69 road runner revival thread, the build of my old Plymouth which I think might have spanned 3 years or so.

the build thread

I've had the road runner for around 4 years now. The major work is complete, it's fun stuff from here forward. Like bolting on a person's choice of wheels and tires, collecting all the factory reproduction decals to apply under the trunk lid, under the hood etc. Detailing things, washing and waxing, changing oil and checking tire pressure, driving it to local car shows etc.

I get a txt a week and a half ago from a car club friend. He says there is a guy been txting him and calling him like crazy. This guy is looking for me, wants to talk to me about my 69 road runner.

My buddy dint want to give out my number to a stranger without checking with me first.

So, I get the number for the guy and I call him. Turns out there is a search effort going on for this road runner I've got. This guy is like second or third owner of the car and he's trying to help the previous owner find the car.

(This really is a short version to this story too, I was on the phone with this guy for 2 hours)

A couple of days pass and I'm put in contact with the guy that's searching for his old car. He's been wanting it back for about 40 years.

He launched a serious search effort for it about 7 years ago.

He was shocked by the idea that the car still existed.

He was even more shocked by the fact the car was still numbers matching, still retains it's original engine, transmission, it's still all there.

He was further shocked to learn that it doesn't look like this:

[Linked Image]

Rather it looks like this today:

[Linked Image]

It's been his dream to find his old car from his high school days. He knew that was a lofty dream as 4 decades have passed. So he's been searching for a similar one, he would have settled for another T7 bronze hard top with white vinyl roof, 383/4 speed, air grabber hood.

One problem, there aren't any. He's been trying for years, they just don't exist.

Anyways, to the point here...

The guy is simply wild with excitement as I have agreed to sell him his first love from 40 years back. The car is going back to Iowa where it started out in life.

It truly is an unbelievable story, who else could something like this happen to?

Yeah, probably nobody.

Feels like it was meant to be, as hard as it is to part with it. The gentleman is offering above fair price due to his sentimental attachment to the car.

I have a dream myself. A dream that will take some money to pull off. I'd like to pursue that dream and this sale will really help that dream become a reality.

This is a nice story, everybody wins.

The end.

This is a nice story, everybody wins.

Good deal. all the way around. if you didn't love cars Dave, you wouldn't have understood where the dude was coming from.

reminded me of the song "Riding With Private Malone"

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by eh76
Geez do you own the whole state of Nort Dakota too? laugh

Those trees you see in the background are in Canada. grin

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

[Linked Image]

Tell us about the boat. grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Boat is good, 14' Lund, 15 HP Johnson.

Float heap big plenty.

Looking for non frozen water.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My first real car was a '68 Dodge Superbee. Red with the white bumblebee stripe, 383, 4 speed, and the only option it had was an a/m radio. I don't know how many times I've dreamed of getting that car back. Lotta fun smoking Chevelles and GTOs, but serious dating required an a/c and traded it for a Pontiac Lemans. Wasn't the last puzzy-related bad decision, but it was a ton of fun for a couple of years.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cool story, Dave. Sometimes things happen that just scream out that certain things were meant to be.

This seems to be one of those stories.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I gotta agree with you 100%.

That is exactly how this feels.

I'm not too churchy, meaning I'm not sitting in church on sundays.

Not saying this is a religious thing, but it feels like someone planned it all to happen this way.

If that makes any sense?

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well is the car gone yet? Any parting pics with the happy new old owner picking up his baby?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I am being tortured with the presence of the car which still sits covered in my garage.

The new owner's funds have long since cleared and are in the bank waiting to be launched into our new shop project. He has the car transferred into his name and he is currently insuring the car. It's absolutely his car, a done deal.

But it's still in my garage, lol!

I have been tinkering with a few things for him. I detailed the air grabber duct work which was removed from the under side of the hood during restoration. The air grabber pieces have been refurbished and reinstalled, it all looks like brand new. The air cleaner lid has been stripped of it's old patina and freshly painted hemi orange and the new road runner/coyote decal has been applied. The car has a fresh original appearing battery, a mopar stamped yellow cap battery in this case. Wiring harneses have been cleaned up and re wrapped, just lots of little detail items.

The buyer of the car had a 1970 style Hurst pistol grip shifter in the car when he was a kid. He claims it was original to the car, stating that the car was a late production in it's production year and it left the factory with a pistol grip (1970 style) even though the car is a 69 model.

Regardless of the accuracy of that claim, he had a pistol grip in the car when he owned the car over 40 years ago so we're putting a pistol grip shifter back in it for him. I received the new shifter this week.

We are waiting for mother nature to commit to the idea of spring/summer before he comes up from Iowa with a trailer to tow the car back home.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hope he comes soon so you don't have to stare at it everyday. That would be torture!

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well, it is covered, so that helps. lol.

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dude, you always have the best stories. Very cool!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Let's see some pic of the new details man

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
They would just be phone pictures as I have been updating the new owner, but i'll see what I've got.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey, maybe you should take one last run out to Chickenbuck with it?? eek grin

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Dude, you always have the best stories. Very cool!

Thanks, but I really, really hope the "Best" is yet to come, very soon.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very cool cool

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
will you have the new shop done or at least a roof on before September??

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm hoping before the 4th of July.

It cant happen soon enough for me right now.

Something clever here.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 41 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.