Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
all we are getting is > bunny hugger surplus ....err.. I mean ...REI frown

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
went to Cabelas, didn't buy much, PFD and a toothbrush holder, some stocking stuffers for Xmas

easy parking around noon hour.

REI sure picked a strange location for their FBKS store, be interesting to see how Beaver Sports weathers their presence.

but I think BS has a pretty loyal client base, we'll see

my days of buying a bunch of chit are behind me, have too much stuff now!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with you Randy.....been getting rid of stuff.

Beaver and REI have matching inventory.....should be interesting.

I try to use Frontier when I do need something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
agreed on Frontier Vern

Sentry hardware saved me from having to buy a new kitchen faucet

needed a retaining clip, no luck at Ferguson or Home Depot

danged ole Sentry to the rescue

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
same goes for the "sports show" this week end ....if I want a sports show ....I'll open my garage!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The big deal for Cabela's is going to be the stuff with their brand on it and no one will be able to compete with like products. They were very upfront about the fact they want to downsell folks into Cabela's brand gear where their margins are highest.

I don't understand that model. Either I have a very different opinion of Cabelas than everyone else, or people just aren't paying attention.

Cabelas branded junk tends to be just that. They certainly have slapped their logo on some quality items (meindl boots come to mind), but every time they put a Cabela's logo on a piece of gear its value drops by 15%. I'd happily pay more for the same item without a retailer's logo stamped on it.

I'm glad they are here. It will be interesting to see how they do. I'm hopeful that they will push sportsman's into actually trying to run a store, which would be nice. Hint to SW: If you don't have anything to sell, it will be tough to make any money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Currently in Los Anchorage on biz. Plan to check out Cabela's tomorrow - if only for the taxidermy. Scored some .264 130 gr NABs at Sportsmans Whorehouse in Squarebanks. I'd looking for those on-line for a while.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Currently in Los Anchorage on biz. Plan to check out Cabela's tomorrow - if only for the taxidermy. Scored some .264 130 gr NABs at Sportsmans Whorehouse in Squarebanks. I'd looking for those on-line for a while.

You will probably like some of the taxidermy... but check out the enraged rat chasing the Sitka blacktail bucks... A large portion of the mounts are aided greatly by their distance from the eye of the viewer...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
wife took the kids to the opener, sent me some funny pics of the taxidermy work....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uhhhh... funny pics of taxidermy? or pics of funny taxidermy?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
yep

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didja get a pic of the brown bear greyhound chasing the deer? That one is painful to look at...

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
That must be your fave!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are too many, too special, to pick favs I am afraid...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm headed there today, I'll take some pics of that blacktail eating rat bear.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I went to Cabelas on Friday and it's a pretty nice store but definitley not as big as I thought it might be. Bought some ratcht straps and a pair of LaCrosse Alpha Burly Pro 800gr boots. I hope they do something about their ammo stock, it was pitiful.

And about that brown bear, it was so bad I just couldn't take a pic of it. There was a mtn lion in there that I should have taken a picture of, was one of the weirdest looking cats i've ever seen.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A few of my "impressions" on the store -

The two flying white dirigibles: man, the underside of a beluga leaves something to be desired.

Saltwater fish of PWS - liked! esp. the rockfish.

Funny mounts - guess I missed the rat on deer one. At ground level, there were a couple of funny ones next to the two mule deer - a fox and a brown bear. Faces were all fupped duck.

Almost bought a bino harness for my Leicas, but held off. They had some .264 130 NABs in stock, but I scored 100 at the Whorehouse in Bearflanks - $2 cheaper a Cabela's.

Checked out the Bargain Cave - yawn. I'm sure it has it's days.

Got to fondle quite a few rifles. Found out the Wby Mk 5 stock, as fugly as it is, fits me like no other. The Sako wasn't too bad either. I can use much of a straight comb or anything where the butt isn't well below the axis of the bore. MR style stocks just suck for me. Sure hope my Micky New Hunter pattern is like the Sako (which is supposedly what it was patterned after).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.