Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Giving a guy an estimate for some survey work and he said the magic words. "any interest in trading for a gun?"

It's a 7x57 Remington, believe a number 5.

I have nothing against the caliber, but my personal preference would be for something a little more BP conducive.

How hard would it be to rebarrel and modify the extractor to 45-70? I am assuming the action is strong enough if it was rolling smokeless 7mm to start.

Anything I should be on the look out for as far as problem areas?

Last edited by RWE; 04/11/14. Reason: rebarrel & extractor
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow! You actually found #5 Rolling Block that Crossfireoops hadn't already converted to BPCR? grin

Greg's the man when it comes to converting/ rebarreling Rollers. I'd drop him a PM and pick his brain.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've picked every part of him on my down low quest for a BPCR, except his nose. laugh

Figured I'd let the rest of the posse have a crack.

Besides, he'll probably see it shortly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RWE
I've picked every part of him on my down low quest for a BPCR, except his nose. laugh

Wheew! eek sick Glad you cleared that up! laugh

Best wishes on your project.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Haven't done the deal yet.

Just trying to figure what I would be getting into.

Due diligence and whatnot....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
where in the hell is the fun in that.....i buy the gun with a wild arse scheme only to find out afterwards i cant do what i want without taking out a second mortgage on the house and offering up my first born as a sacrifice laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bought one of those at a garage sale for $25 in the early 70s. It was in pieces but all there so I put it back together and shot it some. Factory loads would stretch the case bad. I bought one of the Numrich conversion kits and made it a .45-70. I think they were $125 at the time. Shoots well but I should have a pro go over it and work on the trigger pull and extractor. I ground the original extractor to work, but it ain't pretty.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Giving a guy an estimate for some survey work and he said the magic words. "any interest in trading for a gun?"

It's a 7x57 Remington, believe a number 5.

I have nothing against the caliber, but my personal preference would be for something a little more BP conducive.

How hard would it be to rebarrel and modify the extractor to 45-70? I am assuming the action is strong enough if it was rolling smokeless 7mm to start.

Anything I should be on the look out for as far as problem areas?

LONG day in the orchard, today, and I'm dozing off.

Will be back in the AM with the inside skinny on the #5, and it's own unique set of challenges, in converting to a BP.

Certainly do-able

GTC

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Second Cup on the go, nice mornin' here,.....and more irrigation to hang on the trellises later.

Forward,....

The #5s have VERY sloppy 7MM chambers, and are notorious for brass seperations. That trait, in an action that does not handle gas well, rates poorly. There ARE ways to anneal, massage, fireform cases to play well, typically with cast gas checked bullets,....and neck sizing only.

The Mauser like upper hand guard is retained by a deformed looking receiver ring. The full radius mortise that the guard slips into makes a great crud trap, once the guard's removed.

I've built several #5s into BPCRS. Every one of em's been ugly, due to the fact that I don't monkey around "Re-profiling" that goofy asymetric reciever ring. This whole business of annealing, milling, and than re-heat treating these old actions has never struck me as being very bright, and I don't really care what Larry Potterfield has to say about that, one way or another. I generally try to discourage the practice, after spending alla' that time, and money, you still just have a sporterized military action. The "Narrowed tangs" add one notable feature,.....structural WEAKNESS, as compared to the beefy original Military tangs, with they're mortised Butts and Forends.

Up until the arrival of the #5, The RBs all had extractors, A sliding "bar type", and the very skookum rotary type. The Swedes came up with a novel swinging variant, that's probably the BEST of any of em',in terms of large rimmed cartridges. The # 5 sports an "extractor ejector" That was an upgrade from the only so-so reliability of the first gen, 7mms bar type EXTRACTOR. I don't have one in front of me, but the #5 setup is an interesting and clearly highly engineered part. It's a fussy, complicated little thing, with springy character, to snap over the rimless case head. It rides in an inconcentric groove in the block,which gives it a bit of a vertical lift, as well as swinging tangentally. There's a bumper set in the trigger guard that (theoretically) provides a final "snap" to kick the expended case out. When converted to handle a large rimmed cartridge, they're prone to giving some problems, case heads insinuating themselves behind the extractor being to the fore.
On the plus side, these ARE very finely built and finished arms, and the Artillery Carbine version has always had an inordinate appeal to me.

Bottom line, a REAL Black Powder RB action is plenty strong enough (and than some)for ANY BP cartridge that will fit between it's side walls, and makes up into a nicer looking piece.

Hard to figure rollers going as scarce as they apparently have, there were buckets of stripped actions and parts sitting around, not all that long ago.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/13/14.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Sure sounds like he knows what he is talking about..

IC B3

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Bottom line, a REAL Black Powder RB action is plenty strong enough (and than some)for ANY BP cartridge that will fit between it's side walls, and makes up into a nicer looking piece.

Sounds like finding a Swede in a rimmed centerfire would make a better candidate if a fellow was so inclined.

Making sense of the 1867 vs 74 vs 89 vs "whatever other date" is going to take a fair sit down to figure out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Swedes are better Remington RBs than Remington ever built (better metal, hands down,.....WAY better barrels)

That said, The Argentine in .43 is a good pick, and good raw material as well.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wish the advertiser had READ the inscription on the RHS Flat, so's we had the actual conversion / upgrade date.

Pretty much the standard Christiana Arsenal rebuild.

*New small pinned Block, with FP Retractor / Gas shield
*New Hammer
*New Pins
*"C Style Exractor" (atypical screw just above the front of the trigger guard)
*the whole works re-heat treated,and tested.
*Superb 8MM Barrel with DEEP grooves, sling swivel silver brazed thereon.

The one pictured looks to have been privately massaged a bit, blush has better wood than most.

Decent price on the old pelter, in today's market, too.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/15/14.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got a look at the 7mm in question, and while I am far from being an authority, it looked like it had seen much better days.

I got time, while waiting to finish my ML build, but I've been searching the price and availability of centerfire swedes. Only seen one argentine 43 spanish.

I understand the 12.7mm and the 8mm both have some nuances to reload for, but its doable, if I decide to roll with it before it gets a rebarrel.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I do believe the rifle in the GB link is a Swede, not a Dane.

Good info on Swede rollers here: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1889sporter.html

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.