Print Thread
Hop To
P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Okay gents, I think I've got part of the answer. I picked this up today for a very reasonable price and have been researching it this evening.

http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/pdcrig/library/Govt%20slide?sort=3&page=1

From what I can tell it's a Series 70 Combat Government slide. I think it's original as it has the high profile, white outlined rear sight and the finish looks factory. That being said, it has a NM barrel. Was this original or a later add on? The roll mark on the left side of the slide has the word "Combat" and "Automatic" between dashes. The pictures I've found don't have these. Is this significant? What vintage am I looking at here? This came with the barrel and collet style bushing. Bushing still fits really tight and there's not play in the barrel when it's in battery. No spring, spring guide or plug.
I'd say that except for a couple minor dings in a couple locations and some thinning bluing on some edges it's in very good condition.
It's my understanding that there weren't a lot of these made? What value would you put on this? Just curious. Thanks guys.

Last edited by pdcrig; 04/10/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure about the value of the slide & barrel alone but I am surprised that the barrel is not also marked as "Mark IV NM".

Does the barrel have the raised "knob" at the muzzle?

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "Combat Government" was a limited edition at the end of the Series 70's run. Arguably they are a forerunner to the current Special Combat Government. There was also a Series 80 version. There are examples of each on GB right now.

There's some good info here:

http://m14forum.com/handguns/53120-colt-combat-government-series-70-info.html

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
MM, The barrel doesn't have any change in it's diameter the entire length. Never heard of the "knob". The bushing is very snug.

It'd be interesting to know what the -Combat- and -Automatic- signify. Not all had the "-" bracketing the words.

I think I'm going to clean this up a little then sell it in the Classifieds.

Thanks guys.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
PD, I'd be interested.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pdcrig
MM, The barrel doesn't have any change in it's diameter the entire length. Never heard of the "knob". The bushing is very snug.

Mark IV Series 70 barrels used with collet bushings were a slightly larger diameter at the muzzle & for about 3/8" back from the end on the barrel.

Since your barrel appears to be a straight diameter, & is marked NM, it likely is not a Mark IV barrel & is not intended to be used with a collet bushing. It is likely a standard NM barrel intended for used with a straight diameter barrel.

The reason for the diameter change in the Mark IV barrel was for snug lockup to the collet fingers when in battery but as the barrel slides thru the bushing during recoil, to provide a means for the collet to loose the grip on the barrel & allow it to tip slightly as it unlocks.

When you say the collet bushing is tight, do you mean tight to the barrel or tight to the slide or both?

MM

P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
It's snug in both. When the barrel is in battery there is zero movement that I can tell. I'm going to try to mate it up with a Colt frame this weekend to check fit/function.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the barrel is not configured to use a collet bushing & there is no relief for the fingers as the barrel slides thru the bushing, it will break the collet in short order.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The change in diameter of the barrel is VERY subtle on .45 pistols. Look for a change in the wear on the bluing on the last 1/4" of the barrel.

Notice how this barrel looks stright, but the bluing is worn where the collet bushing contacts.

[Linked Image]

P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks gents. Yes, the collet bushing does fit snug towards the muzzle end but loosens up as it slides towards the chamber.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pdcrig
Thanks gents. Yes, the collet bushing does fit snug towards the muzzle end but loosens up as it slides towards the chamber.
Then it's right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like Dan, I might well be interested, too.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If the barrel is not configured to use a collet bushing & there is no relief for the fingers as the barrel slides thru the bushing, it will break the collet in short order. MM

Who ever gets it, my advice is to have a qualified 'smith replace that collet bushing BEFORE you start shooting it. When they fail, they tend to lock the entire gun up, requiring a BFH to get them disassembled.
That collet bushing abortion was Colt's attempt to cheaply accurize the 70 Series pistols.

Hand fitting a new, slightly oversize, bushing is no big deal and any halfway decent pistolsmith can do it. Makes the pistol more precise, too.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Hand fitting a new, slightly oversize, bushing is no big deal and any halfway decent pistolsmith can do it. Makes the pistol more precise, too.

Ed

No, it's not a big deal, but today, you can buy an angle bored bushing to the exact ID & OD dimensions that you want from EGW...........takes virtually all the work out of it.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

No, it's not a big deal, but today, you can buy an angle bored bushing to the exact ID & OD dimensions that you want from EGW...........takes virtually all the work out of it.

MM
What MM said. EGW takes a couple of weeks, but their work is second to none, and like MM said, it makes bushing's a snap. I just ordered one, but unfortunately (typical for me) I had to have the one that they didn't do up angle bore; so I'll have to fit it. I needed a Commander bushing for a pencil barrel. They do everything but the angle bore on that one. Still, they're the only one who even makes that bushing, and they do it RIGHT!!

Customer service is pretty darned good too. If they don't have your bushing in stock, they'll make it. They don't charge until they ship, and they'll keep you informed via e-mail as to the status. EGW is first rate in my book.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.