Print Thread
Hop To
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Just bought a 2014 4x4 Tacoma and plan to pull a 2,600-3,500 lb travel trailer with it. Do I need air bags if I use an equalizer hitch?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No. The hitch should handle it nicely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Need?

Tough to say, but the airbags certainly do make the truck more pleasant for a variety of towing/hauling jobs. I have two Tacomas and put airbags on both. I installed a flip-up license plate bracket, relocated the 7 pin behind the license (so it wouldn't get broken off off-road) and installed the air bag fills on either side. I have hauled trailers up to 5000 pounds using the factory hitch with that set-up and the truck handles it well. The airbags also allow you to put some air in when you are hauling heavier loads in the bed so that it doesn't sag excessively. No load / trailer, drop 'em to 5 psi and the truck rides like stock.

[Linked Image][/URL

[URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Canazes9/media/7-Pin%20relocate/73130287.jpg.html][Linked Image]

David

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks, both of you. I appreciate your input. David, nice way to protect your hook up. I assume when you are towing, your license plate is not lowered back into original position fully?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I pull 3000+ quite a bit and have never had any issues. I'm rated at 6500 lbs. If I pulled 5000 or more then it might not be a bad idea.

Like the plug behind the plates idea. Would'a saved me a bit of cash about 3 years ago when mine caught on something offroad. I may look into moving mine. Thanks for the tip.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably ok, but without the trailer and equalizer hitch, and the vehicle on level ground,measure the distance from the ground to the center of the front wheel well fender. (From ground, up past the center of the hub to the fender metal)

Then hook up the trailer, adjust the equalizer hitch and re-measure. Significant increase in that measurement says you need air bags. Basically you don't want your front wheels coming up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Thanks, both of you. I appreciate your input. David, nice way to protect your hook up. I assume when you are towing, your license plate is not lowered back into original position fully?

That's correct. Top pic, 7-pin plug is plugged in and the factory 7-pin flip up dust cover is on top of the plug. When flipped down the license plate rides on the 7-pin dust cover (doesn't pinch the trailer wire). The bottom pic is the plate fully down with the trailer wiring plugged in - that is how the plate sits when towing.

The rear plate is pretty much completely obstructed from the rear when towing regardless (the trailer blocks it). The license plate is easily readable from any overhead/side/quarter view, as well as any plate readers (tolls, redlight cameras, etc.) I've towed literally tens of thousands of miles with the trailer plug like that and no one (law enforcement) has taken exception to it so far.

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
No. The hitch should handle it nicely.

This

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think tacomas should probably have air bags even if they are stock, the rear springs sag so bad my brother in laws '07 bottoms out constantly in the rear with no load in the back. so yes get air bags.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I assume you will be adding an aftermarket receiver hitch as part of the weight distribution hitch.
BTW Check out Etrailer.com, for better deals on this type of equipment. They have air bags too.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=reese+weight+distribution+hitch&x=7&y=9

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/08/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Saddlesore, I had not planned on changing out the Class IV hitch I have as it is a part of the towing package that came with the pickup. Should I reconsider? If so, why?
Thanks for the link, by the way. That will come in handy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No it's fine. Since you had not mentioned it ,I assumed you were starting from scratch with an original factory bumper

With my 98 Ram 2500 Diesel,I'm pulling a 3 horse BP trailer , fully loaded is about 7500 lbs with about 750 pound tongue weight with a Class IV hitch and one of the Reese hitches rated for 800-1500TW because I also have a 1500 lb slide in pop up camper in the bed.

The class IV receiver hitch should have a sticker on it showing it is rated for 1000 lb TW and 10,00 lb trailer when using a weight distribution system (500 lb TW and 5000 lb trailer if not)

If your trailer is the weight you quoted, you don't even need the WD system,( saving $500) but you might need air bags depending on how much it squats. If you load the truck bed also, that is a different story as you add the weight that is aft of the axles in the bed of the truck when figuring out which WD system you need

If you get on the Etrailer website I showed, you can get a lot of good information about selection of the WD system and air bags. They also have a "Question for the Techs" that you can submit questions or even call them and they will help you out.

There is also a capability that you plug in you truck brand, model ,year, and it will spit out the exact part numbers you nee for any thing connected with trailers.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/08/14.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for your information. Much appreciated.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think tacomas should probably have air bags even if they are stock, the rear springs sag so bad my brother in laws '07 bottoms out constantly in the rear with no load in the back. so yes get air bags.

This!
I have air bags in my 2012 tacoma trd and would not consider towing without them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
in the end it depends how much weight you have on the back end.

I have a 2007 quad cab Taco, and load that bed pretty heavy so between that and the tongue weight of my 16 foot V-nose tandem trailer there is a good deal of weight on the hitch.

I ended up getting airbags to help level it out, I don't have much air pressure in them, but it does help a good deal.

I pref. having more weight in the truck than the trailer, and the weight distbrution hitch can transfer energy to the truck so I'm more secure with those air bags there.

Spot

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Spot. That's good info and I'll file it for use when I get the trailer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
in the end it depends how much weight you have on the back end.

I have a 2007 quad cab Taco, and load that bed pretty heavy so between that and the tongue weight of my 16 foot V-nose tandem trailer there is a good deal of weight on the hitch.

I ended up getting airbags to help level it out, I don't have much air pressure in them, but it does help a good deal.

I pref. having more weight in the truck than the trailer, and the weight distbrution hitch can transfer energy to the truck so I'm more secure with those air bags there.

Spot

As was mentioned earlier, even with nothing in the bed and no trailer the back ends sags on the newer Tacomas.I run my air bags at 5 lbs for a unloaded truck and it levels it out perfect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.