Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Jericho yes the 1996 is the second printing.

Kitch,the 2009 is the third printing. The first & second are priced out of my range.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have mentioned it before here but again I remember my wife being impressed with Mr Rule, someway- somehow she got hold of his cell, called him as he was on the way to airport to catch plane to HI for holiday, he pulled over and got her info, had the paperback book sent before Christmas with a note and the bill that she paid promptly. I vividly remember her saying she would have bought it along time ago had she known I would spend so many hours reading,enjoying it. very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr.Rule is also an advanced collector,one of his guns that is my all time favorite is a special order Varminter in .257 Roberts , the gun is a very late gun, sn 581,257 . It was engraved by Nick Kusmit. The gun is in color photos on pg 280,281 in the last paperback edition. I would sell several Moma cows and a bull to get my hands on it ! Some will not agree BUT first thing I would do is mount a nice scope and grab every box of factory ammo out there and zero her! I would handle with kid gloves! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
so it seams by reading these posts, the paperback is worth $85?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The photo quality in my copies are very nice.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchesterpoor,yup that's a "nice" one,for some reason the Alaskan & Varmint models trip my trigger. wink

Buzzsaw,that's about right for the paperback.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 56' varminter in .243win and a 59' in 220 swift, they will be some of the very last to go ! I hope when Im 85 and they are just to dam heavy! My all time favorite whitetail hammer is a 56' target in sporter stock in the 06. just love the gun. v best winpoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 04/15/14.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You have a Varminter .243 win,be still my beating heart,that's IS the Varminter I want when I get some money.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
so it seams by reading these posts, the paperback is worth $85?

It sure has been to me. v best

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell yes it's worth $85.00. I let the kids look at it the other day without a worry in the world. You guys that have the first (especially the signed copy) and second edition know what I'm getting at here. Spill coffee on your first edition and you might start crying eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
The photo quality in my copies are very nice.

Same with my first edition...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You have a Varminter .243 win,be still my beating heart,that's IS the Varminter I want when I get some money.

Its pet factory ammo is 70 gr BT, Fed Prem , I am about out of it I hope I can still find some. I will try and find you a photo. With these guns you have to remember 'rome was not built over night' I have been very lucky with my hobbies, loves, I never lost money on over 15 airplanes, made a lot of money owning and flying turbine Airtractors, Took 2 bloodbaths feeding cattle 1st when the Mad Cow scare ( very poorly handled by our Govt.) . Many made big bucks shorting futures! 2nd bloodbath was brought about by the ethanol ,high corn prices due to the 46c a gallon subsidies. GD warm and fuzzy feel good, common sense tells us you cannot run this country's autos on whiskey. Corn is for feeding people and animals , whiskey is for drinking not mixing with gas and having every body have to work on any chain saw, mower,outboard motor,weed whacker... nuff venting here.. v best

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Here ya go Elkhunter,
[Linked Image]
vb winpoor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Its pet factory ammo is 70 gr BT, Fed Prem , I am about out of it I hope I can still find some. I will try and find you a photo. With these guns you have to remember 'rome was not built over night' I have been very lucky with my hobbies, loves, I never lost money on over 15 airplanes, made a lot of money owning and flying turbine Airtractors, Took 2 bloodbaths feeding cattle 1st when the Mad Cow scare ( very poorly handled by our Govt.) . Many made big bucks shorting futures! 2nd bloodbath was brought about by the ethanol ,high corn prices due to the 46c a gallon subsidies. GD warm and fuzzy feel good, common sense tells us you cannot run this country's autos on whiskey. Corn is for feeding people and animals , whiskey is for drinking not mixing with gas and having every body have to work on any chain saw, mower,outboard motor,weed whacker... nuff venting here.. v best

I haven't shot my 243 Varmint in a couple years but it also LOVED the 70 Gr Fed Premiums.

So what is the going value of first edition books and of the original leather bound with cover signed versions?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
VG condition $500.00+

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]
Mr Reelman, I do not know the market on the leather bound copys as every time I want to invest in one a dog gone mod 70, then DD's and a scope gobbles up the coins, its always just one more to tune up, make better and sale,trouble is they come in faster than they go out, then there is always that real nice no round count .264 win mag and 300 win mag that goes in the no sale safe.... LMAO These dog dam 70's are addicting .I used to tell my wife to look at is as a redneck retirement fund, or investments that go bang.. Before my dear wife got sick she told me no more land rich and cash poor, I lost my 80 yr old Dad and if he had a sweet 16 and I had 2, I kept his,sold my 2 and bought a mod 70, slipped it in the back door and waalaa... LOL did the same with 1100's mod 12's etc, kept his and grandDads and sold mine, pretty muck kept gun money in guns.I was a big Sporter varmint man, Ill bet I went thru 20,kind of a niche thing. I used to find nice ones right, was also able to find 10 and 12 X fixed leupolds 2-300 bucks, send em to Oregon for a tune up, really clean the S Varmints up, tune triggers find what she liked to shoot and bam, most went to pals locally. I only had one in .308 and I wish I had kept it I have never seen another! Man it was a shooter with the 165,168 gr stuff. very best
photo is of 50,1,2 and300yard range off S end of runway.

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 04/15/14.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Here ya go Elkhunter,
[Linked Image]
vb winpoor
Do believe I just died and went to heaven! wink

Your above post about getting the money and selling other rifles to get this one and others,well I'm thinking "which one of the non-Winchesters do I want to get rid of?" wink

And it is addictive! cool

Right now I'm wanting the Varminter .243 win,the Alaskan .338 Win & .375 H&H. Most likely that'll change every day,but right now those are the three I'd like to have.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, You got it bad, I started out wanting a nice good shooting target in 06, went thru 3 till I got just what I wanted, found a very nice unmolested sporter stock for it, opened the barrel channel for the med heavy barrel and was a happy cowboy! That lasted all of 4 mos. I forget what was next on hit parade but its ALWAYS just one more! .264 win mag, 300 win mag, national match in a sporter stock..... It never stops, I have yet to get a poor shooter, I just got an early 60's fwt in 06 that I have not shot yet... knock on wood. Old timers tell me some of the best shooters they ever had were fwt's. I cannot wait to test this one. very best wimpoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Elkhunter ,After you shoot,find a .243 then you start wanting one of these REAL bad , Winchester only made 904 of these, This is a very early one a 59' vintage, Winchester did make the same gun in a marksman stock and called it the 'target', not a lot
of them made either!
[Linked Image]

very best winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Elkhunter, I have a law enforcement pal up in NC or TENN that comes to GA and spends a few days with Mr Robert Gradous building Tact type guns. Long story short he was able to buy ( for dam near nothing) a mint Varminter in .243 with a 15X Unertl scope from a family friend who was old and had cancer, the guy had bought the rig new ,took it to his farm in upstate NY and shot a few groundhogs, he ended up selling the farm and the gun sat in the corner for 50 years collecting cigarette smoke, the gun cleaned up mint! I have been dickering with this guy for about two years and I will end up giving him whatever it takes as the rig is that nice and he is into the tactical deal. When and if I do I will let you have mine.
Mr Gradous, builds one of the finest most accurate guns in the United States, bar none. I shot one he built in .308 and the thing was sooo accurate that it was absolutely boring.Check him out, If I ever catch up on the Winchesters I will have him build a .308 on a .243 action using a cut rifled Bartlien barrel in Winchesters target, med heavy contour.
http://www.gradousrifles.com/
very best WinPoor

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.