Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting stuff Ranger.

Hearing about the boom in these parts, I wondered how it changes the lives of the regular people not dependent on the oil money. I can imagine it really would suck to see a nice area to live and raise a family turn into a money induced mess.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah need to watch that....may have changed now but in 2006 before we moved to town(we bought at the right time aswell) we could not get DSL at Hwy 2 and Windy Hill Road, which is what? 3 miles outside city limits give or take....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I live in southwest Wyoming. The boom we experienced here from 2000-2008 was epic. Pretty quiet now days. Real estate prices are still pretty high.

You in Rock Springs?

The boom here is slowing down for sure, but property is still outrageous...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not slowing down here...just gaining momentum eek

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny
Interesting stuff Ranger.

Hearing about the boom in these parts, I wondered how it changes the lives of the regular people not dependent on the oil money. I can imagine it really would suck to see a nice area to live and raise a family turn into a money induced mess.

Lonny - It does suck. Seems crazy that some of the same people who lived through the last boom are convinced that this one will last forever. I can't say that it hasn't been good to me when it comes to my roofing and siding work in the summers, I'm just not sure that I'm willing to ride it out. Cops had to shoot a guy in one of the local bars two years ago, there was an attempted child abduction down the road last week, the list goes on. You go into the bar for a beer now and some nights I don't know a single person in there. This in a town with less than 200 people in it!

The development of pasture/farm lands has changed the face of the countryside too. Trails are now roads, pipeline work all over the place, man camps, etc., once isolated places are now busier than Main Street used to be. Lots of poaching going on along with trespassers everywhere. Less landowners willing to allow access because they are justifiably pizzed at the trespassers and poachers. Add to this the price of property is so far beyond the long term average that you'd be a fool to buy anything, and I'm thinking the time to go is near.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ranger1
I live in a formerly very sleepy little community in what has now become the famous "Bakken Oilfield". Being a history buff, I've read a great deal about the booms of old, from the copper mines of MT to the various gold and silver mining towns. All of them became crazy places to live. There are stories of simple grocery items being nearly worth their weight in gold and property being almost impossible to purchase in all of these places. Of course there are the tales of lawlessness that came to exist in many of these areas as well.

Knowing all of this, I would still have never guessed that a modern boom would bring about so many of the exact same situations. Shootings, robberies, rapes, and the like are now not something we just read about happening in other places. The price of everything has gone up, not because the store is paying more, but because they're able to charge more. And property!! I've been looking at a lot in a nearby town were I've been considering taking a job. A couple of years ago, lots in this town were being given away. A beautiful lot that was in great shape might bring $500. Well this lot that I had in mind was just under an acre and would have needed a good bit of dirt work to make it suitable. Finally got a price on it yesterday... $35,000!!!!! Pasture land still goes for under $200 an acre, but an acre of poor ground on the edge of a tiny town is now $35,000!! I hope they can get it, but no way in he11 would that be a wise investment. In ten years it will likely be worth $500 again. Interesting to watch the boom take place, it seems humankind is on a never ending loop. When the inevitable bust occurs, I have to wonder how many will be left holding the cards.

It all depends on how long the drilling activity will continue. Last month I saw an estimate that they will be drilling in the Bakken for roughly another 50 years or so.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They probably will be drilling for a long time. What is glossed over is that it won't be consistent. They come to an area and drill a few holes, if they don't turn out that great, they pick up and leave for another area. In some areas, they drill enough to maintain their leases and then leave it to check out something else. Price of oil goes down considerably and drilling pretty much stops entirely. Eventually, they won't be hitting the big time holes anymore so drilling will slow to a fraction of what they are currently doing. Couple this with the unfavorable conditions the MT state gov't has created for drilling, as compared to ND, and the boom is never likely to really get wheels under it on this side of the line. Of course that doesn't mean that we won't see the related problems as people filter out from the epicenter of the drilling and ruin the surrounding communities. All of this means nothing if gov't regulation changes the process in some way that impedes drilling. The EPA messes with fracking and the game will be over in a hurry.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's another on the same subject, being from MSN, it makes the ATF sound like they are really doing something around here.

Another Bakken crime/drug article

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.