Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking for opinions on the most frangible bullet for the 243. My use is for hazing Speckle Belly Geese from our alfalfa fields. Currently running 55 Nosler BT at 3,900. Have some Hornady 58 V-Max but have not loaded any yet. I need a bullet that will reliably fragment upon hitting the surface. Best way to induce a goose scram is by kicking up dust in the flock. I don't need ricochets. The Nosler acts a bit more sturdy than I imagined it might be. Wondering some about the Varmegeddon from Nosler too.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
70 Speer TNT's are pretty soft

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The reason the Ballistic Tip is relatively tough is the very thick base of the jacket. The Varmageddons are uniformly thin jackets, and I'd bet the plastic-tipped version would work for your purposes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The reason the Ballistic Tip is relatively tough is the very thick base of the jacket. The Varmageddons are uniformly thin jackets, and I'd bet the plastic-tipped version would work for your purposes.

Thanks for the response. I was not sure how thick the base on that 55 BT is, but I wondered. That load atomizes ground squirrels, but I have hit a couple of geese who did not even loose any feathers as a result. I actually do try not to hit any, but sometimes...

The 55 BT I can get easily locally and I was shooting what I had on hand. I am going to get online and see if I can find some Varmegeddon.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Barnes Varmint Grenades are about the most frangible, near exploding bullets I have ever seen. Thin J-4 jacket filled with slightly compressed copper and tin DUST. I use them a lot on ground squirrels, but probably would not trust them on a Badger or a Coyote. A rather specialized zero ricochet super explosive bullet for small stuff only.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was just over in Bonanza yesterday on my first Sage Rat outing yesterday.... today I just received my order for 750 of the Speer TNT 70 grains in 6mm...

I've used this bullet before and it is superbly accurate.. and it also pretty fragile.. so it would definitely fit the needs of what you are trying to do...

Powder Valley has them in the 750 bulk packaging....

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Seafire,

Thanks. Mind if I ask whose place? I know a bunch of folks over that way.

Safari,

Those Varmint Grenades went right over my head. Somehow I had it figured they were a 224 affair. smile

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 62gr VG and Nosler makes a 55gr BT Lead Free 6mm that is compressed copper dust that is very frangible.

I tried the 62gr VG's on coyotes at 3600fps thinking it might work as a good fur load but got softball sized exits, the Nosler Lead Free BT's work great no exit and no splash on just a couple I've shot with them.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SteveC99
Seafire,

Thanks. Mind if I ask whose place? I know a bunch of folks over that way.

Safari,

Those Varmint Grenades went right over my head. Somehow I had it figured they were a 224 affair. smile

Originally they were, and I was in on the testing of some early prototypes. But now they are available in several small diameter calibers. In my rifles, they are accurate enough for the purposes intended. So much so that I built a gopher blasting rifle specifically around this and other very fast, frangible bullets use. 1 in 14 twist Lilja 3 groove on a Sako L-461 action with a pretty, but with a wide and flat forend BR and sandbags friendly stock.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I have some 62 gr Varmint Grenades en route. My nephew stopped in the Cabela's in Eugene on his way with his wife to a concert in Portland. They had lots of bullets, but no brass or powder.

Steve

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do the state game&fish guys or the fish&wildlife guys ever venture around?
From a distance they may think you're just a lousy shot.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 04/25/14.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, sometimes they do. There is s special season on Specks and Snow Geese here, but the season ends really just about the time they really start showing up. There are is usually an patrol or two around. I'm on pretty good terms with the main officer and he gets the damage they can do. I just told him flat out one day that sometimes I accidentally feed the eagles, but really try to refrain from doing so. We use green laser a lot and try to use a balanced hazing program. I have no problem with the game cops and I don't think they have one with me either. I just am trying to take pains to minimize ricochets. Neighbor relations are more up on the priority list than worrying about the game cops smile

Steve

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sierra Blitz, they will explode on a sheet of paper. Take a sheet of paper and put 1/2" space between the second sheet, front sheet will have a bullet hole, second one will look like it was shot with bird shot. I have had the explode in mid air.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have not shot some of the bullets mentioned, but the Sierra 55g Blitz king is one of the most explosive bullet that I have fired, at 3900 out of my 6 BR.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by gemby58
Sierra Blitz, they will explode on a sheet of paper. Take a sheet of paper and put 1/2" space between the second sheet, front sheet will have a bullet hole, second one will look like it was shot with bird shot. I have had the explode in mid air.

which sierra blitz are you referring to?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.