Print Thread
Hop To
#8771252 04/12/14
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So we did a charity trip where we drove from the bottom to top of australia. We hunted along the way and bondy wasn't going to come but we got him on the last part of the trip so he wrote this up. There will be a few familiar faces in here with myself, wife and others

I wasn't going to go. Had already had a fair bit of time away and am going to have more time off work after my knee operation. The missus told me to bugger off anyway so I did as instructed and I took Tony (Eldest daughter's bloke) with me.

The bash had been on for nearly a week when we left. They were overnighting in Duchess and we decided we could intercept the procession in Cloncurry. Monday night we saddled up and headed North West. Well Tony did; I just had a coldie. And we made good time too; falling into the swags at Kynuna at 2.30am before an early rise and into Cloncurry at 8am. battered, Shell & Len were out in front and had rolled into town just minutes before. After brekky we moved out as the rest of the Bashers started to trickle in.

Next stop Burke & Wills Roadhouse.

[Linked Image]

We hit the Finish line at Normanton, swapped Shell for Mike at the Airport and picked up supplies at a great little shop that was small on the outside and had more than Bunnings and BCF on the inside. Then adjourned to the pub for the rest of the night. Where I had a bit of luck... but more on that later. A good night was had by all before we hit the swags. A 4.30am start was needed to make the property homestead by 6.30am. AS it was we missed the owner by minutes (but we did catch up with him later) and continued on another hour to our camp by the River. Not much of a view.

[Linked Image]

We headed out for a hunt after setting up camp and battered and I opened our accounts. Him via the dogs and I rolled a couple with the T3 .300Winnie.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
There was plenty of pig sign but some of the other sights were quite disturbing, like this Village People refugee �:shock: -

[Linked Image]

Cammo's better half cooked a curry which everyone smashed but Tony & I managed to insult her cooking straight away by having steaks and mushroom sauce.

A spectacular eagles nest we saw -

[Linked Image]

For the next few days we hunted all day and all got something to show for our efforts.

Tony started small and worked his way up -

[Linked Image]

Heath got this one on the fly with his .300Wby... ignore my rifle being on it �:oops: (my pigs were further back)

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
cammo blooded the 340 on a decent boar hiding in the longest grass -

[Linked Image]

Wally was very determined to get each and every pig -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
This was a stubborn fighting boar -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

View from camp -

[Linked Image]

Casa Mike -

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
A few more -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Headshot with a 450Nitro... just enough gun on a running weaner �:lmao:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Some sights -

[Linked Image]

Tony rolled a few -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Likely characters -

[Linked Image]

Beers & Bears for breaky on the Gulf, as far as we could drive -

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Len was the croc alarm at night -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Friday arvo we packed up and headed out, and Tony rolled one on the way out -

[Linked Image]

We had a look at Leichardt Falls... which was not running �:?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
After overnighting at the Blue Heeler pub at Kynuna, the whole crew arrived back at my place Saturday arvo. We immediately failed to shoot 4 dogs over the next 24 hours, but Sunday arvo we found a couple more pigs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

cammo and his better half left Sunday morning and the rest of them headed south this morning. A hell of a 6 days for Tony and I. 3500km, about 20 pigs, new & spectacular country and some great company. Got to meet Mike finally; he's a top bloke �:goodstuff:. And when cammo stops threatening me with a gory death he's not bad either �:lmao: . Good thing I'll be laid up for a few weeks starting Thursday - I'm rooted �:suckedin:.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys do know how to have fun.

Curious as to why you are using big rifles? Because of the possibility of buffs, or camels? Or just a macho Aussie thing?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
There was buff up there but most of us use say a 30 cal and up to say 375 as our every day rifle,

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

battered:

Missed this story earlier. Good one. Wally cracks me up. I have a soft spot for JRTs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some good looking country and water up there
Sounds like a good time , Get home for a well earned rest

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506
You guys do know how to have fun.

Curious as to why you are using big rifles? Because of the possibility of buffs, or camels? Or just a macho Aussie thing?

grin They get great prices on their powder and ball grin From using a Sharps I find that BIG booms = more funner shootin' grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Great write up, any pics of some snapping hand bags ? I have seen a few dogs get chewed up. That little Jack Russell is a goer they are great dogs

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

its bun sized laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 72 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.