R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fotis
kroil? huh never heard of that

WipeOut & Kroil

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
BP-B6

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hoppe's # 9
Sweets 7.62

I run a patch of Hoppe's making sure to coat the chamber, recoil lug recesses, as well as the bore and let it soak for a few minutes

I run a patch of sweets concentrating only on the bore and let it sit for 5 minutes

I run a second patch of sweets and usually the copper color is much lighter than the first. I stop there because I don't want to remove all the copper I only want to remove the copper that hasn't filled any voids or defects in the bore.

I run a patch of Hoppe's and then a dry patch twice concentrating on both the bore and the chamber to clean out any remaining powder and to make sure any remaining Sweets 7.62 is well diluted.

I run several dry patches concentrating on recoil lug recesses and bolt recesses in the action

I never use a brush
I make sure everything is bone dry when I'm done
The total procedure takes about 20 minutes
I clean every 30 to 40 rounds on average

My 22 lr never gets the bore or chamber cleaned unless it has a problem feeding or functioning. Generally the more shots that are fired through it the more accurate it gets. If I do clean it I only use Hoppe's # 9

When my rifles are put away for more than a month the bore and chamber get Rem Oil

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/06/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I run 2 patches with Kroil thru the bore before I start cleaning. I then run a dry patch and followup with Wipeout Foam or KG1 solvent . I have used KG12 in the past on rough bores after first using KG1 but don't have to use it on Tikka , Sako bores.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I usually put the Barnes or Montana Extreme to it. I'll run a patch, folllowed by a brush, followed by another patch. I'll then run a dry patch, followed by a shot of Gun Scrub down the barrel. One or two more dry patches and I'm usually satisfied. System seems to work well and I've never etched a bore, that I know of. I don't let the Barnes or Montana Extreme sit very long at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds to me like Wipe-out is the way to go based on all of the feedback here. It sounds simple and functional.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It sounds to me like Wipe-out is the way to go based on all of the feedback here. It sounds simple and functional.

Patch Out is about the same, just not a foaming product. I like and use them both.

Patch Out is easier and quicker to use; I like Wipe Out with heavier fouling.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Do any of you Kroil users mix it (say, 50/50 Kroil/Hoppes, or something like that)? Or just use it straight?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I run 2 patches with Kroil thru the bore before I start cleaning. I then run a dry patch and followup with Wipeout Foam or KG1 solvent . I have used KG12 in the past on rough bores after first using KG1 but don't have to use it on Tikka , Sako bores.

Same here, except I use Bore Tech Eliminator for copper when I'm in a hurry.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RevMike
Do any of you Kroil users mix it (say, 50/50 Kroil/Hoppes, or something like that)? Or just use it straight?

I used a 50/50 mix of Shooters Choice/Kroil for a number of years until it ran out. It cleaned quite well, but the smell would curl your nose hairs.

Now I use:
Heavy duty cleaning: WipeOut foaming bore cleaner
Moderate/light duty cleaning: Ballistol
Lube: Ballistol or BreakFree CLP
Protectant: Ballistol or BreakFree CLP

I'm trying out MPro-7 in a pump bottle as a non-foaming cleaner. My friend swears by it and it does seem to cut through carbon very nicely. As a bonus it's non-toxic and has virtually no scent.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MPro-7 is great for carbon/powder fouling like on SS revolver cylinders.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kingston
MPro-7 is great for carbon/powder fouling like on SS revolver cylinders.

Try Using KG-1 for that application, it is amazing on carbon.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB Paste

Dave

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DBC and Wipeout/Patchout.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Tag up

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I've been satisfied with Shooters Choice for several years.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Before I get into my cleaning methods, let me say I have a Hawkeye Bore scope and a Lyman bore scope. I would suggest anyone that does not have a lyman bore scope to purchase one. The Lyman is a digital image and the Hawkeye is a true optical image, but the Lyman will show copper and powder fouling left in the barrel. We have our own rifle range, shoot and reload for a heated and AC house, shoot all year long, rain, shine, and snow up to 300 yards. I shoot thousands of rounds per year from 22 caliber CF to 7/300 Win mag, 7 STW, and 7/300 Win mag.

Also, this is a general purpose discussion, and 22RF, 223, Various Ackley Improved cases, large hunting calibers all have different fouling characteristics. Also, barrel quality(micro finish) is of paramount importance. There is a world of difference in dealing with a 223 and 7mm STW in fouling issues. Various powders foul VERY differently, and some powder start fire cracking the barrels within 400 rounds, while others contain so much DNT, they just seem to eat the throats in the barrel like you were shooting dried battery acid.

It is important to keep in context how a particular person likes their particular method. P. dog shooters and ground squirrel shooters have the most demanding challenges in cleaning their guns as they shoot up to 25 thousand rounds a year through their various rifles. They don't have time to phart around, they have to clean and clean down to bare metal in a hurry.

Also, as you read how various shooters clean so wonderfully with a product. Again, remember that some powders clean EASILY, and a guy that is loading 19-30g of powder is going to have very, very different needs than a guy that is shooting 60-80+grains of powder, which may have a burning chamber up to 10"-17". Another thing to remember is that some guys clean after every 20 or so shots or less, this requirement is much less than a guy that may shoot 125 - 300 or more rounds.

Guys that make a simple statement that they like xyz or zyx product, and just let it go with this simple statement is like saying that they like Red, or Orange with yellow stripes. The particular method that someone likes may work and work very well for his shooting style and number of rounds fired with a particular barrel and it's internal micro finish. Now that same shooter puts 80 rounds down the barrel, his favorite cleaning method has to be repeated several times. Also, some people are just going to spend so much money and apply so much effort, and Hell with it if it does not do a complete job...it is just a hobby, nothing wrong with that either. After all, Daddy never cleaned his rifle or owned a gun case.

FIRST THING YOU LEARN WITH A BORE SCOPE IS THAT CLEAN PATCHES DO NOT INDICATE A CLEAN BARREL!!!!

Let me start with Wipe out products. Since I am shooting a lot of over bore Centerfire cases, lots of powder fouling accumulates from the throat to 17" down the bore, and often the accumulation in the middle of the barrel is the most stubborn.

The procedure that I ended up with that DID WORK with my particular lot# of wipe out is as follows:
1. push 4 patches of Wipe Out accelerator down the bore
2. Brush 10-25 strokes with Accelerator, depending on the caliber, throw away Bronze bristle brush every 100 strokes
3.Push 2 wet patches of accelerator down the bore
4. push 4 patches of Wipe out Patch Out down the bore, let sit overnight
NOTE: some powders are stubborn to get out, it may take a second Brushing and soaking...I did say brushing as plain soaking was a futile exercise.

Soaking with foam, NEVER got out all the powder fouling( I tried 4 different cans), copper was removed, however.

Key on the Wipe out, brushing with the Accelerator, and the brush was carrying the heavy weight in removing the carbon. I also have come to the conclusion that any of these chemical products may have different characteristics based on the Lot# as it was produced.

We are subject to:
a. the quality control of the manufacturer
b.how they may change the formula
c.how the quality of the formula is changed by the fools running the machines at the plant where it was produced.

Shooters choice works well with good brushes and good copper solvent afterwards, so does Witches Brew.

Currently, I use Montana Extreme Bore solvent, this stuff is safe to let sit in your gun, it is an oil bases product. You can let it sit overnight, But I always brush to get the
Rough carbon out and last tid bit of copper out if there is any.

Many people are no SOAKERS, and I fall into that crowd. I like to clean the gun and be done with it.

So, here is a method that works, and I always check with a bore scope.

1. 4 wet patches of Montana Extreme bore solvent
2. Brush with good bronze bristle brush soaked with bore solvent, 10-20 strokes, wet the brush as it extends from the muzzle every 5 or so strokes. I never run a dry brush
down a bore.
3. Dry patch to remove loose carbon
4. Push Montana extreme Copper killer on 4 patches push through the bore
or
saturate a wool mop with the Copper killer and work back and forth in the bore, wetting it a time or two, you want the mop soaked to the point to where it
drips. Wool mop is more effective, just a tad more messy
5. let the copper killer sit for 15 minutes
6. push 3-4 dry patches through the bore, if you have a bore scope, inspect at this point
7. push a wet patch of cigarette light fluid down the bore
Note: if you do not have a bore scope, look in the muzzle with a small flash light, copper will be visible if it is still there, so will drill marks in the factory barrel if you use a
magnifying glass.

NOW

if you have a barrel that is hard to clean, older Military barrels, try this more aggressive method
1. 4 wet patches of what ever your favorite bore cleaner is
2. using a Montana Extreme plastic brush, brush 20 strokes with JB or Montana Extreme Copper Cream-reapply every 5 strokes
3. Push 4-6 patches of Bore cleaner down the bore to get out all of the very mild abrasive,
4. 4 Dry patches
This is the method that I use when I shot a rifle 350-600 rounds on a p. dog town, but on a factory Chrome Moly barrel it may take 1 application of the Montana Extreme Copper solvent to get the last bit of copper out, but it will not be much, this would indicate that I should have brushed 5 more times on that particular barrel.

I have most of the chemical products mentioned, and the vast majority of them failed miserably when the bores were examined with a bore scope. You have to realize that a chrome moly factory barrel will have different fouling tendencies than a Stainless High-grade match barrel.

I usually test chemicals on SS and Blued barrels in my 7 Mags, lots of carbon and some copper. I will not mention which ones of the chemicals mentioned by other posters that failed miserably. I do also like Shooter's choice and Witch's Brew, Sweets's 7.62 copper remover.

I am just not a soaker. I tried the Wipe out with smaller cases also, powder fouling was always in the barrel but did not show up on clean patches pushed through the bore. Again, I maybe a victim of lot to lot changes.

There are a lot of folks that are scared of using brushes, you need to get over that. I have the highest quality SS match barrels that have been cut off and re chambered up to 4 times(301" unturned blanks, and Max Heavy Varmint contours) that had a LOT of brush strokes through the barrel, I do my own machining.

There are some warnings to using chemicals, it would be good practice to use rubber gloves, which are very cheap. The best powder solvent was made by General Motors, Top Engine cleaner also marketed by Mercury Outboard Motor cleaner. These products take the Oxygen out of the air in an enclosed space. They also go straight through your skin to your kidney walls, this is a dangerous product to use...so take heed.

The politically correct trend now is to not use brushes on those very precious barrels, hog wash. Those that are scared of bronze bristle brushes, you really need to get over this because those brushes are the main thing that gets stubborn carbon fouling out. Also, the coeficient of friction of a plasctic brush is more than a bronze bristle brush.

In some extreme cases, I have had to wrap oooo steel wool in a new bronze bristle brush and brush with JB. My neighbor had a 6.5 Sweede that had so much copper fouling in it that minimum loads were causing very high pressure. This method also works on smoothing out a barrel that has some rust in it with a lot of fouling in it.

I bought a 22/250 that was so full of copper fouling from H380 it was hard to get a patch down the barrel. Obviously, the barrel was ruined if I could not get the powder fouling out. So, I tried the 0000 Steel Wool with JB and it got most of the fouling out. I called an old gunsmith named George that lived in San Leandro, Ca. He told me to use Comet on that oooo steel wool...glad I was sitting down when told me. Well, 10 strokes with Comet, and the barrel was clean, but had a roughted up surface finish. Groups out of that 22/250 got down to 3/4" and I killed another 100 coyotes with it before I found a new Remington take off to screw on.

It is a great idea to use a Neil Jones or a Lucas Bore guide. These bore guides have a bushing on them that centers the rod in the bore, which keeps the lands from getting wiped out from 8-5 o'clock.

Good luck in your cleaning!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Keith,

With that much brushing are you needing to touch up the crowns now and then?

m

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Wipe out is the schit for copper. Kroil otherwise....

+1, except to add that Barnes CR-10, Montana Extreme, or Sweets 7.62 all seem equally effective at copper removal. NOTHING beats Kroils for lead removal, powder fouling cleanup, or general gun lubricant and preservative. It is definitely worth the $13 or $16/ can. When you aren't cleaning guns, Kroil will work miracles around the garage as well.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wipeout is the best I've used by far!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Industrial strength ammonia (9%) works really well. Do not let it set in the bore for over 5 minutes. I have been cleaning rifles with that for a long time to rid barrels of copper and have never had a problem with pitting or etching. Thing is now I seldom have to use it. The early tendency of my rifles to copper foul has been essentially shot out and I seldom have a problem any more.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.