Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
One of the early ones in .280 would be nice.

Here is a early one in a 280 5 digit classic featherweight. I need to go shoot it one of these days.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
79s: I think you and I may have had this conversation before, but I have an advanced case of CRS, known as CRAFT.

My 257 XTR FWT has a serial # of 1538xxx, but the pad says Winchester Repeating Arms. So that would make it a "transition" model, correct? Just curious. Really doesn't matter 'cause she ain't for sale.

I bought it new in about 81, and then gave it to my BIL in a fit of stupidity, because it wasn't CRF. A while back, just after I bought one of the new 257 M70 Shot Show Specials, he gave it back to me. I'm tickled to have it back! They both shoot 120gr Speers into very small groups and I'm a happy camper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kitch
I'm also digging the couch as well

I was thinking the same thing. I could just envision myself sitting there with a 23 year old blonde and sharing a glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme...yeah, that's the ticket old timer, dream on.

[b]No way I'd bed that beauty. [/b]It's probably floated and shoots as good as my 270. Jack would be proud. Slap about 60 gr of H4831 behind a good 130 gr bullet and next thing you know you'll be wanting to write for Outdoor Life.

You threw me off there for a sec....

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
79s: I think you and I may have had this conversation before, but I have an advanced case of CRS, known as CRAFT.

My 257 XTR FWT has a serial # of 1538xxx, but the pad says Winchester Repeating Arms. So that would make it a "transition" model, correct? Just curious. Really doesn't matter 'cause she ain't for sale.

I bought it new in about 81, and then gave it to my BIL in a fit of stupidity, because it wasn't CRF. A while back, just after I bought one of the new 257 M70 Shot Show Specials, he gave it back to me. I'm tickled to have it back! They both shoot 120gr Speers into very small groups and I'm a happy camper.

Yes it would be considered a transition model between the last WRA SN and last SN for 1981 USRACo only made 11,000 rifles so I'm assuming yours was one of the first ones made in 82 and USRACo advertised the featherweight with open sights as well

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I remember reading an article in that time frame that there were a very few FWT's made with open sights, and they would likely become collectors items. Any idea how many were produced that way?

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The .257 I bought has open sights.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I remember reading an article in that time frame that there were a very few FWT's made with open sights, and they would likely become collectors items. Any idea how many were produced that way?

A serious model 70 collector will be the one to tell you that. All I know the featherweights with open sights were cataloged in 1982

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About a month ago I ran across Model 70 pushfeed in a local forum, A Black Shadow for $250.00 Came with a cheap Tasco 6X24 scope and the worst camo paint job I have ever seen. But.. at $250 I took a chance, bolt matched the action and ever thing looked pretty good. Took a while but I got it cleaned up and put it in a $49 CDNN featherweight stock. Took it to the range and like other 30-06's it likes 4350 and 165g. Right about MOA for 3 at 100yards. For $250 I am a happy camper. Most likely it will go to the daughter as her deer rifle. They are nothing fancy, but they are a solid rifle. Unlike the wife's Remington Model 7 I have yet to se one recalled...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

A serious model 70 collector will be the one to tell you that. All I know the featherweights with open sights were cataloged in 1982

There's a nice 7x57 over at GB with factory irons. It's a pretty nice one too..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kitch
I'm also digging the couch as well

I was thinking the same thing. I could just envision myself sitting there with a 23 year old blonde and sharing a glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme...yeah, that's the ticket old timer, dream on.

[b]No way I'd bed that beauty. [/b]It's probably floated and shoots as good as my 270. Jack would be proud. Slap about 60 gr of H4831 behind a good 130 gr bullet and next thing you know you'll be wanting to write for Outdoor Life.

You threw me off there for a sec....

I'd bed her (the 23 year old blonde) if I weren't happily married wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
The .257 I bought has open sights.

You suck laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

There's a nice 7x57 over at GB with factory irons. It's a pretty nice one too..

What no link? Come on now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn internet TV... laugh blush

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang it. I don't see it anymore. It was there last night. There is this 270 with factory irons though. I guess the "S" (in the G7073) designates iron sights on these XTR fwt's. The box looks just like my box too, but the recoil pad is different. Mine just says Winchester repeating arms or something of that nature...:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=408262490

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That guy is a idiot gun was made in 82 not 80-81 lol... It's a late 82 made featherweight

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep. Too much money too... I've seen some pretty high prices on the XTR's, had a lot to do with my buying decision on the 270 fwt...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Do people really collect PF M70's? confused

I have to admit to not really caring much about them,other than as shooters.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The deal is not too many XTR featherweights left the new haven plant made by Olin corporation wearing the WRA on them. Majority of xtr featherweights were made under the USRACo banner. T

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guess I shoulda kept mine...they were WRA.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez Bob.... sick

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.