Campfire Oracle
E
That's saaawwwweeeetttt! Even though it's not a Pre '64. wink grin

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/03/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I finally got a chance to shoot it yesterday right along side the pre 64 270 fwt. The XTR functions very well and shot almost as good as the pre 64. I'm still working on developing loads for the XTR, but it seemed to like the pre 64's 150gr. nosler partition load well enough. I wish I would have brought more along to try in the rifle blush. I thought I'd try some H4831 in it, but the IMR did better. Strangly enough, the pre likes the IMR 4350 better too.....Strange, I know. But what do you do?? :

This isn't great grouping from the XTR, but looks promising:
[Linked Image]

Wind was picking up, so the load development wasn't as good as I had hoped for. Here's one group shot with the H4831sc:
[Linked Image]

Working with new Winchester brass too. Next time out, I'll run the same loadings and see what happens. I'll also try some once fired brass thru this rifle now. Keep in mind the barrel is still in it's "break in" phase too. Also, first 3 shots in every group measured less than 1" (closer to 3/4": Used the orange dot as a reference). 5 shot groups are fired 1 right after the other and most times between wind gusts (if and when possible)...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BSA,what's the speed on the 54.5 gr H-4831 load?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't know: Don't care. Max is 55gr. in the Nosler load manual. My 53.5gr. IMR 4350 load runs 2,800 fps in the pre 64 fwt. I'll chrono the best grouping load when I get there... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
In my FN Mauser I'm using 56.0 grs with the same powder and bullet,different primer,it's a CCI 250 and it's getting almost 2900 fps with a 22" barrel.

Every load I shoot is over a chronograph. For instance,the .338 RUM I have,I wanted 3000 fps with a 250 gr bullet. So,I start with H-1000 and 250 gr Sierra GK's. Looking in the Sierra manual I start with this load 97.0,98.0 and finally the book max 99.0. Used Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers. The very first 3 shots averaged 3001 fps,the max is 3000 fps. So,what I did is go home and pulled the others,because the next loads were going to be over the max in pressure.

BSA,the chrono is your best friend,it'll tell you if you can add powder or if you have too much.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What, you don't use an Oehler 43 strain gauge system or piezoelectric transducer for checking chamber pressures? Probably don't believe in crushing copper either. I don't blame you. wink...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Kinda hard to pack those up and set them up outside. Besides I've already shot two chrono's and doing my best not to make it three. wink smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now that is funny. I can kind of relate. Mine is an ooooooooold pro chrono that you have to shoot thru the small hole in the cardboard. It distracts my group shooting, especially when I can see the holes in the cardboard and the glance mark from a bullet that skimmed the case from its previous owner. Then there's the erratic readings it gets sometimes that [bleep] up my train of thought. My buddy has a nice new one that tells you the velocity, standard deviation, extreme spread and all the other horse chit associated. Mine just gives the velocity and occasional "err" reading. My friend shot some of my 300 wsm loads thru his the other day and got a standard deviation of 9.14. He said he was just curious as to how consistent my load was because he had never shot a 3/4" 3 shot group from the sitting position before. Like always, I try not to sweat the small stuff wink

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BSA,I've owned a chrono since IIRC Spring/Summer 1995. The first one I shot was IIRC a Pro Chrono,the second was a PACT,shot the screens but still have the display unit.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
BSA, Dibs on the XTR when you get ready to sell it. grin

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll make a mental note buddy. It sure is a sweet heart of a rifle. The action is buttery smooth: Feeding and extraction is perfect. Hard not to like these XTR's. Now I know what Ingwe was talking about. blush

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot the .257 twin to that rifle today so it is no longer NIB either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I shot the .257 twin to that rifle today so it is no longer NIB either.

Rollin laugh...You know the thought did cross my mind...Hell, they were made to be used!!! blush

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.