Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally felt bad enough about giving Ingwe a hard time over his pushfeed fetish. No this is not a 7x57, but it's bad enough that it's a pushfeed sick. A while back some questions were asked about the XTR's and that got my interest up. About the same time I noticed one at my LGS. It is chambered in the JOC special (270W), so there's 2 dings against buying it but I did it anyway. I had to consult with 79s about these to see when this one was made and according to him it was made in 1980. My friend/smith/Winchester guru bought it from an estate when his buddy passed away. He said this rifle had never been fired and his friend just bought it because it had nice wood. I couldn't agree more, even though I'm a pre 64 fan, this rifle is very nice. I know there is a following for the older XTR's so here it is. The original box came with the rifle as well. This rifle came from the same guy I bought my pre 64 270 fwt from and I think I'm going to like it. Time will only tell though:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0731_zps5fdfef59.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0732_zps8b5fd3bd.jpg[/img]

This was before I got it home and wiped it down....The bolt still had that sticky grease from the factory on it. I took everything apart and wiped it down with Rem Oil. I swabbed that barrel out with shooters choice and let it sit in there for a while.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's the bolt after I took the firing pin out. Notice no wear on the firing pin itself:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What say you Winchester brethren??? laugh. Besides it needs a Leupy 2.5-8x36 whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy smokes that is one sweet ass rifle! For those of you out their not many of these XTR featherweights left the plant under the "WRA" name. If you read they say the XTR featherweights were introduced in 1981. This one was probably made in the first month of 1980 I bet. Collectors out their have it down to the SN when the last made WRA modle 70 was made as well. From what I read guys seek these out cause they consider these the last of the real model 70's cause they say "WRA" on them.

Last edited by 79S; 04/12/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a couple push feed Sporter varmints a .223 rem and a custom shop 22-250 rem. super accurate. I shoot the .223 more than any center fire I own, the custom shop job is scary accurate with any ammo I have ever run in it! Good guns. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I'm hoping it turns out to be a good shooter. 79s says it's pretty collectable, as did the guy I bought it from so I'm debating on whether I should glass bed it or just leave it as is?? Generally I just glass them and be done with it. What do you guys suggest?

BSA MAGA
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Shoot it first. If it shoots well, leave it alone. Although shooting a rifle in that condition is going to reduce the value to a point where glass bedding probably would make no difference in re-sale.

That's a nice M70. About a year older than I am grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Shoot it first. If it shoots well, leave it alone. Although shooting a rifle in that condition is going to reduce the value to a point where glass bedding probably would make no difference in re-sale.

That's a nice M70. About a year older than I am grin

I can't believe you are that young. The stock I bought from you said "74" inside it. I assumed that's when you were born. Everything points to this as being made in 1980 like 79s pointed out. As for the collector value: I probably already reduced some of that after wiping away the factory, sticky, grease today sick. I also polished the trigger a tiny bit to give it that smooth as glass break. Adjusted it down to 2.5 pounds too. It is factory bedded in the recoil lug, so I think I'll do as you suggest and just shoot it and see how it does.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't know much about collecting these,but when they came out, I bought 3 of them; a 270,257 Roberts and a 7x57 like Ingwe's.

Keep in mind these were the first FW's since Winchester stopped making them in 1964,so lots of folks were happy about them.

I sent the Roberts to Dietrich Apel at Jaegers and had him convert the mag box to 30/06 length for a 3" Roberts....the throats were long as they came.Worked up a load with 100 gr Sierra's and 100 gr Partitions and killed a bunch of coyotes,antelope and mule deer with it. The little rifle never baubled,and worked just fine.Shot a lot of woodchucks with it, too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Very nice rifle there BSA.IMHO it needs a straight 4x or 6x and 130 gr Nosler Partitions and it's ready to Rock-N-Roll! wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr BSA, That is a fantastic looking gun, I bet it shoots well also! I go 'off the grid' often!, non pre 64! Im playing with a Laredo BOSS in 7 STW right now, I lucked out on a case of older Fed prem 160 gr accubonds, the gun is super accurate and I will work out to 1000 before its over, even though a coyote is all I would try past about 4 or 500 yards in real life... I had much rather nail a 400 yard crow than a 400 yard whitetail. very best winpoor

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Very nice rifle there BSA.IMHO it needs a straight 4x or 6x and 130 gr Nosler Partitions and it's ready to Rock-N-Roll! wink

You must have read my mind!! I was just thinking that this morning. My pre 64 270fwt will be shooting 150's from now on, maybe this one will just shoot the 130's laugh...I was actually thinking I have a chit load of Hornady 130gr. pills to burn up. This barrel is going to be broke in. It's too new looking laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 2-7 Leupold will look nice on it...

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79s, do you know if extra low DD's would be the ticket with the 2-7? One of my friends bought a 2-7 for his m71 a while back and that is a nice little scope. I think I could handle something like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX-...icle-Gloss-Finish-1-113862-/310927868177

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran extra low on a 2.5-8 36 they worked fine for me... I do run talley lows with 3-9-33 as well. I'm a big fan of the talley lightweights but I know folks don't care for them.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That box alone is probably worth money smile again that is a cool rifle....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I ran extra low on a 2.5-8 36 they worked fine for me... I do run talley lows with 3-9-33 as well. I'm a big fan of the talley lightweights but I know folks don't care for them.

I use them too, but they just didn't look as nice on my pre 64 270 fwt so I went back to the DD's. Those Talley lightweights are lows and work for just about anything with up to a 42mm objective.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You must have read my mind!! I was just thinking that this morning. My pre 64 270fwt will be shooting 150's from now on, maybe this one will just shoot the 130's laugh...I was actually thinking I have a chit load of Hornady 130gr. pills to burn up. This barrel is going to be broke in. It's too new looking laugh
130 gr NP's,H-4831 and the .270 Win go together like peaches & cream. wink My Super Grade .270 just loves 130 gr NP's the only thing is I tried VV N-165 powder and WOW! fast,accurate. The 130 gr NP is scootin' along about 3150 fps and there is nothing I can't take with that load.

Not a good pic. Bought it in late 1991 or early 1992.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

130 gr NP's,H-4831 and the .270 Win go together like peaches & cream. wink My Super Grade .270 just loves 130 gr NP's the only thing is I tried VV N-165 powder and WOW! fast,accurate. The 130 gr NP is scootin' along about 3150 fps and there is nothing I can't take with that load.

Not a good pic. Bought it in late 1991 or early 1992.

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty. Is that a 3-9x40 leupold?

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,it's been on that rifle since I bought it. Sent the scope back to Leupold as there was dust inside,Leupold cleaned it up and I put it back on.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or h4831 and 140gr hornady! That combo shoots well out of my junky ol model 70. Yes the bolt is on the wrong side...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

551 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.