Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
be glad he didn't ask to use YOUR thumb....

Might have taken the whole fist!!!!!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LoneWati
I took a couple of Beavers with the .17. One was 68# and one was 73#. There was no getting that castor smell off the whole trip. I didn't really care. Probably a good coverup smell of what I actually smelled like.!!! Did have a guy shoot a little 6x6 and took him and 2 guy's 3 days to get him back to camp. First thing he did was get his clothes off and get into the creek. 9500 feet in late Oct and had ice on it every morning. He did not seem to care. He never went back up to where he shot that elk. Probably took a week before he found his slinky!!!

Actually Beavers have a very attractive smell that is very attractive to a considerable number of other animals, and to man.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
That is not good at elk camp!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found my own personal hygiene to be exponential in my attitude and enjoyment in camp/hunting. A way to take showers is very helpful in keeping a positive attitude, resting well at night , and being able to get up early. I have been with "Smelly Men" hunting and it really sucks.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are plenty of ways to maintain hygiene without a full-on shower.

I would say, I've been hunting with men who insist on having a shower and similar creature comforts and that sucks more than anything. Because the best hunting is not usually near the trailhead. Jeez, it's not like you're crawling in the sleeping bag with him.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built a shower out of a 12v weed sprayer motor and a aluminum turkey fryer pot. I can heat with the wood stove, a propane cooker, or a 120 volt bucket heater (Kind of like a branding iron with a metal guard). The motor hangs in the back of the horse trailer where I have a shower head (a small lawn sprinkler head with turn off valve mounted to roof) when you hit the of valve the weed sprayer motor stops. When done with shower, I simply walk into the heated insulated Tack Room in the front of trailer. One thing I found.....do not tie the mules on the same side of trailer as the wood stove chimney if it is not breezy them mules can get a lot of smoke in the face. Be sure to drain system in cold weather to prevent freezing.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/16/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
There are plenty of ways to maintain hygiene without a full-on shower.

I would say, I've been hunting with men who insist on having a shower and similar creature comforts and that sucks more than anything. Because the best hunting is not usually near the trailhead. Jeez, it's not like you're crawling in the sleeping bag with him.
Baby wipes go a LONG way...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup. Those and a small bar of soap and washcloth. And Arm & Hammer unscented stick deodorant, keeps the stink at bay for a few days. But to each his own. Showers are nice and I wouldn't turn one down after a few days, but they aren't at the top of my list even when camped next to the truck in a wall tent.

Now, a well-organized kitchen though......... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

We took sponge baths out of our helmets and a new Lieutenant came in to our unit and refused to do it. He galled his crotch so bad he could hardly walk and was eventually removed from command.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yup. Those and a small bar of soap and washcloth. And Arm & Hammer unscented stick deodorant, keeps the stink at bay for a few days. But to each his own. Showers are nice and I wouldn't turn one down after a few days, but they aren't at the top of my list even when camped next to the truck in a wall tent.

Now, a well-organized kitchen though......... grin
We are of the same mind! Where I generally elk hunt, the camp spot is just a 15min drive from a campground. $1.50 in quarters will get you a long, hot shower. Better than anything I could rig up.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One word of caution if using the baby wipe method of showering.... I yelled toward where I thought my cousin was that I was gonna take a "shower" and to stay the heck out of the tent for a few minutes. Unbeknownst to me, he was in the opposite direction and didnt hear me. The best way to describe the resulting screaming is to just say, "what has been seen, cannot be unseen!".

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, they're your wipes, and you can lather and rub as fast as you want.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, you've got it backwards Huntsman, that's why all those guys like their showers.......... grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang, I left an opening! Nicely played Huntsman. It was actually my hairy ass that he accidently saw. Says he still has nightmares about it.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow this thread took a wrong turn, funny though smile

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Long Wait till Seasons start!!! You guy's are quite humorous!!!!! Plus we learned about tents and bathing. A 2fer!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that we have the shower issue put behind us, how many of you guys chit in the heated comfort of yer tent?

Getcha one of them tall plastic buckets that baseball coaches use, and one of those bucket toilet seats. Put a few inches of crick water in, do your business, wipe yer heinie, toss the paper in the woodstove, swirl the contents around and dump in a hole out in the brush away from camp. Shovel the hole back in when breaking camp.......

Last edited by huntsman22; 04/16/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and burn the bucket.......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm thinking my hunting buddy would probably shoot me on the spot if I chit in our tent.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here is the bathroom shower tent.

[Linked Image]

About 20 yards from cook tent.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.