Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Going to be fishing in Clova Quebec in late June.Hope the black flies are gone by then but want to bring something just in case! Doe's anyone know what works on those blood suckers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Muskol. And a head net.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DEET can't be beat. Short of that cover every inch of ones body and seal the cuffs and pant legs.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The last week of June is close to the end of blackfly season, depending on the weather. High percentage deet with full body covering, with duct tape sealing open areas is the answer. Muskol had been my favorite. Keep it away from fishing lures. It can melt finishes and fish don't seem to care for it. A few of my bear hunting friends have had pretty good success with Themocels.
You could try what a couple loggers I met near Clova years ago suggested. They rubbed themselves with diesel. It's a carcinogen and they smelled awful, but they claimed it worked.
Hope the fishing is good and the black flies are gone.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thermocells really work and are the least uncomfortable solution.

Loggers are covered in diesel all day everyday as part of their work--hydralic oil too--it don't work--ask me how I know.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Bfly Your right! They should be gone by the time we get there. But you never know. Just want to be on the safe side. Thanks

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I went bear hunting once in Canada. I used DEET. I used a head net. Every evening in coming off the stand, I had crusts of blood on my face from black fly bites.

I know Thermocels work well on mosquitos; I've never tried this with black flys.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Absolutely right about the thermacell, use them every spring when I go for bear, probably wouldn't go back up if it weren't for thermacell. First time I used one I was sitting in the "bush" with a head net (hate those things), swarms of skitos and black flies all around me. Lit the thermacell and within 15 min. they were completely gone and I haven't worn a head net since !!! Good advice and a good laugh - one evening I was sitting on stand and about 8:15 my thermacell ran out of butane (forgot to take refill along into bush)I wasn't going to leave at prime time so I removed the pad and rubbed it all over my face, neck, ears and hands, wasn't long it started to burn! Tuffed it out and stayed till dark ! Hopped on four wheeler and raced back to lodge, ran into bathroom and threw cold water on my face and ears! Looked like I had one of my worst sunburns ever! DON'T DO IT !!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Defense against blackflies??? 4 barrel 20mm AA cannon seems to werk.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I found the Thermacell worked great when sitting in my bear stand. One evening I left it at the cabin and just about went out of my mind in the stand from the damn flies. Believe me it will never be left behind again.

Last edited by quackquackbang; 04/30/14.

"I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness".
~ Ted Nugent
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW DEET eats holes in nylon (& maybe other synthetics) and does it quickly. Don't let a drop of spray etc touch Goretex, Thermarest pads, etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those of you that use Thermacell for bear hunting, I assume you don't think the aroma effects the bears coming into bait? I've heard varying opinions. Would be interested in your comments. Thanks.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I swear the thermocell I took into the Kenai Mtns only attracted mosquitoes. Heck the dam things were landing on it and making love like it was a newlywed suite.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Always use a thermacell for bear hunting in Canada saw bear every night last spring so it obviously doesn't bother the bear. Have shot 4 so far thermacell every time! It also keeps the mosquitos away, I haven't worn a head net since the first time I used a thermacell. They absolutely work !!! Wouldn't go to Canada without one!!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you stink worse than a bear, the bugs leave you alone, but so does your wife. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
If you stink worse than a bear, the bugs leave you alone, but so does your wife. laugh

So...nothing new there frown

Gonna be a late black fly season here in Ont this yr i think.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep. Still enough snow on the ground in the shady areas, and temps arre hovering around freezing. Lakes looking pretty solid for a good time to come. No indication of an early hatch for either black flies or mosquitos.

My guess is that the opening of pickerel season can be fished without a boat. wink

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have personally taken 8 bear while using the thermacell. Have witnessed approximately 40 others taken while in camp by other hunters using the thermacell. Also some real mature bear were included in this group. My experience is NO PROBLEMS!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.