Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I have all kind of sizes of scopes with different objective lenses:
1-4x24, 1,5-6x42, 2,5-10x50, 4x32, 4x40, 3-9x36, 3-9x40, 3-9x50, 4-12x50,
3-12x56.
They fill different tasks to me.

Do I need them all. Hmm, probably not, but still want them.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The larger variable scopes have a strong tendency to shift zero when bumped. They also break down from recoil sooner.
That, their weight and lack of significant improvement in performance is why I don't use them. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Tough to mount them low enough to establish proper cheek weld.

yup....also I'm not fond of the appearance and they aften interfere with the rear sight.

I've hunted for 50 years and have not yet run into a need for one....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My .257 Wby Fibermark wears a 50 mm. VX-L. Ugly, but functional, and makes those last minute-of-daylight shots at whitetails across open hayfields a bit easier.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love big objectives, although I tend to stick to 40mm on my "mountain rifles". North America is actually pretty unique in having hunting curfews and you have to remember in much of the rest of the world, much of the hunting occurs at times outside of hunting hours over there. Probably a majority of hunting in my part of the world is done in low light - we often won't head out the door until late in the day, and there is no doubt the most productive part of the day to hunt is around sun up and down. We also hunt at night under light frequently. That being the case, large objective scopes designed for low light performance are an invaluable tool. The big objective European scopes with coatings optimised for low light performance and illuminated reticles simply kick arse in this environment - they can literally extend the duration of your hunting day by as much as an hour, and it is the best hour of the day. It is very common here to see a $500 rifle with a $2000 scope on top, especially in the hands of professional shooters.

It does produce difficulties, and nobody likes high scope mounts. The ability to get big objectives into low mounts and close to the bore line is one of the biggest advantages of the Blaser R93/8 design. Heavy barrels exacerbate the issue. The argument that large objectives necessarily result in significantly heavier scopes though is nonsense. A 50mm vs 40mm objective and larger bell only adds about an ounce in weight for the same lens material. However, when going up to the larger objectives, frequently the manufacturer will choose a heavier LD lens system, which it makes for a much heavier scope. But you can get very lightweight 50mm objective scopes - the Swarovski Z3 x50 being a great example.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"The larger variable scopes have a strong tendency to shift zero when bumped. They also break down from recoil sooner"

Please explain why, mechanically,this would happen?
Thanks

Last edited by Cruiser1; 04/12/14.
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heavier scopes have greater momentum under recoil, and so are subject to greater forces under recoil. I dunno that this is a consideration for most hunting rifles, but I wouldn't put a 25 ounce uber-scope on a 458 Lott!

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The highest magnification scope I have is 10x, so I don't need a 50mm objective. I also do not like them on big game hunting rifles. If I get a rifle dedicated for long range varmint or target shooting, then I would consider higher magnification and a larger objective. Just don't need them right now. Others do, and there is nothing wrong with that if that is what they want.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A lot of Texans and Californians like them. Pretty much says it all. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too big, too heavy, too bulky and require higher mounts than required. Tend to overbalance (top heavy) lightweight rifles. Cost too much. Don't provide enough difference to be usefull with in legal hours (0.5 before sunrise till 0.5 hrs after sunset).

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where I live, a 50mm scope is a sure sign of a novice hunter. High, see-through mounts remove all doubt.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Where I live, a 50mm scope is a sure sign of a novice hunter.

I use them. Been hunting a lot of years and have killed lots of deer. They really helped when I was in the early stages of cataracts. Not as much after they were removed. Help in the last few minutes of legal hunting hours here which is 30 minutes after sunset. Some days more than others due to cloud cover, etc. i have killed lots of deer during that time of day. At 67 I am still strong enough to carry the extra weight difference between a 40 and 50. Don't use them if you are worried about what your buddies think but I will continue to use them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not a writer. As a 76 year Texan, I resent being classed with the Californians, but unfortunately, I understand why.

Not all of us fit the description. My daughters are in the 40-early 50 range. They have good jobs and all married successful business men. Oldest daughter is a partner and CEO of a thriving business in her own right. Likewise for SIL. She and SIL live in the same city as her mom and I do.

Back on topic. Many of their ( and our) close friends either hunt, fish, or golf- or all three. They are basically a group of professional people or successful entrepreneurs. They tend to buy whatever they perceive to be the best. Among their toys, one tends to see lots of alpha rifles and glass, including 50-56 mm items.

SIL excepted. His deer rifle is an ancient 700 in .25-06 with an equally ancient 3-9 Leupold scope. His coyote rifle is a 700 in .17 R with a jap Simmons, straight out of a pawn shop. He melts coyotes with it. He and daughter are more into bird hunting and fly fishing. The rifles are just tools to control vermin on their bird patch, or "ranch" as they call it.

I owned a honking big Swarovski scope over night many years ago. I bought it as a demo at a good price, IIRC, it topped out at somewhere in the 18 range with a 56 mm objective. I took it home, mounted it, weighed the Mauser, removed it and sold it the next day. scope and mounts were under two pounds, but not by much.

20 to 40 mm objectives work just fine for my needs and purposes. Your mileage may vary and that is OK by me.

Last edited by jt402; 04/13/14.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I thought they were a little bulky and really did not add anything meaningful (exit pupil) as far as shooting light was concerned.

How about you?

NOTHING I hunt with gets anything over a 40mm on it. 50mm has too many disadvantages and little to no "advantage" at all. Not needed nor wanted.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Where I live, a 50mm scope is a sure sign of a novice hunter. High, see-through mounts remove all doubt.

Bingo...............

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Where I live, a 50mm scope is a sure sign of a novice hunter.

The most experienced hunter I know has a 56mm S&B on his deer rifle. That scope has probably helped bring down 500 or so deer including some now in the B&C book. I wouldn't be so quick to stereotype someone's hunting prowess based upon something like that. There's a reason those scopes are made and not everyone hunts in the same conditions as you. A western hunter that's back at camp well before last light might think a big scope is a burden, while it might make perfect sense to a southern whitetail hunter that hunts fields where mature bucks are only going to show themselves in the shadows at last light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey I got an idea! Let's request a Magnesium-bodied scope with a 1" objective, fixed at 3X for the campfire members that can't carry a pencil, yet have telescopic vision! It will be a hit! LMMFAO

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You have to mount them higher messing with cheek weld.

They are mostly a marketing gimmick when you understand how a scope actually transmits light. Scopes don't "gather" light.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Bingo...............

So when you see me carrying my M70 with its Weaver K3, it will be obvious that I'm the reincarnation of Daniel Boone?

Funny how we are so quick to judge others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rembo
You have to mount them higher messing with cheek weld.

Cheek weld means nothing when you have an Adjustable Objective that is adjusted properly.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,538
Posts18,453,065
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.